Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank?

Bought a used gas tank off ebay to replace my dented tank. Started prepping it today for paint and realized you HAVE to have the key to get the gas cap out. Well, of course it didn't come with a key, so I drilled the bitch out.

Now I have millions of shavings in the tank. I rinsed with water for quite some time and got a lot out, but there is difinetely a good collection still left in there. My next step is my magnetic extend-o-matic tool which I'm sure will help.

Any other suggestions? I'm guessing metal shavings in the gas is probably very bad idea.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank? (hybridcrx)

Oh come on...no body has any suggestions for me?????

What if I put a fatty magnet inside the gas tank...think that would suffice?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank? (hybridcrx)

mechanics have flexible extendable magnets, use one of those....along with an LED light to see wtf your doing.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank? (DusterDC5)

High pressure air?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank? (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High pressure air?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeh a ******* would work...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Second question: Getting metal shavings out of gas tank? (DusterDC5)

That was my next step - compressed air and a vacuum.

Using a magnet to pull out the shavings wasn't working so well. The magnet would just slam against the tank and then I'd have to yank it to dislodge it.

A co-worker of mine made a good point - the fuel filter is inline before the engine, so if nothing else, change it out a week after I install this gas tank just to be safe.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use air AND change the filter after running a tank of gas through it Prolly due for a new filter anyway
Old 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That was my next step - compressed air and a vacuum.

Using a magnet to pull out the shavings wasn't working so well. The magnet would just slam against the tank and then I'd have to yank it to dislodge it.

A co-worker of mine made a good point - the fuel filter is inline before the engine, so if nothing else, change it out a week after I install this gas tank just to be safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your using too strong of a magnet =p you need a little 1/2 lb magnet , my buddy uses them all the time at his shop, very handy when you drop little bolts into places your hands don't fit.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:24 PM

Suprisingly you're wrong. I have a like 1 oz magnet...and even that is way too strong.

Its one of those pocket extend-o-matic magnets. The magnet its self at the end is only 1/8th of an inch in diameter. Its tiny.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:50 PM

wow, im suprised it didn't work...ive never done it on a motorcycle gas tank just figured it would work =p...