Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Is it really necessary to flame all the new riders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Pick up your trash!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it really necessary to flame all the new riders?

Seriously guys a bike is only as fast as you want it to be. Im sick and tired of seeing someone get a new bike and everybody jumps the gun before they even know anything about the person. Sure its definately more dangerous if you can't handle the power and are a moron. But people can become just as dead on a 250 as a busa. My first bike was a cbr900 then i went to a 929. I don't ride fast and in 2 years I've never so much as scratched any of my bikes. Just ride safe ride smart and don't be stupid. I definately wouldn't reccomend any of those bikes as a starter bike but I wouldn't neccesarily descourage someone from getting one unless they have trouble controlling themselves.

But I'm sure all you elitist are going to explain to me how I'm wrong or just flame so lets get on with it.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW some one with some sence

thank you Mr. jack bauer
all of the flaming is not necessary
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack Bauer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously guys a bike is only as fast as you want it to be. Im sick and tired of seeing someone get a new bike and everybody jumps the gun before they even know anything about the person. Sure its definately more dangerous if you can't handle the power and are a moron. But people can become just as dead on a 250 as a busa. My first bike was a cbr900 then i went to a 929. I don't ride fast and in 2 years I've never so much as scratched any of my bikes. Just ride safe ride smart and don't be stupid. I definately wouldn't reccomend any of those bikes as a starter bike but I wouldn't neccesarily descourage someone from getting one unless they have trouble controlling themselves.

But I'm sure all you elitist are going to explain to me how I'm wrong or just flame so lets get on with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Congratulations on having an eventless (as in, negative events) riding career thus far. You are definitely not the norm, however. And unfortunately, a lot of new riders come in with their big egos and end up quitting the game within a few months. There is no hard statistical data that I can present, but it's simply a collection of experience that I, and others, have seen time and again.

I wish you continued success in riding and may you never have to test your helmet and gear.

But, I will still flame (although I'm not so good at it as the NoVa guys) n00b riders if they deserve it.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Pick up your trash!!!!

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

yeah if they deserve it then I can see it, but someone comes in with a nice looking bike with their only intention being to show off a new cool thing they have in the same way every other rider does on this site then why not just let them know they have a nice bike.

If they come in talking crap and sounding like they know everything then by all means flame on.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like the rite to passage around here when noobs ask about what bike they should get..

is it necessary? prolly not. but it happens anyways.. there is a sticky but people ask anyways..
Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Jack Bauer)

I try and bite my tongue until youth rears it's ugly head... the razz is NOT for a new bike, it IS for a new rider. those with years of experience have a perspective of time, a new rider does not have this, so we see the same NEWBILICOUS comments, modifications, lack of respect, mistakes, misconceptions, and exuberance... to survive you need to be tactful and use logical planing... unless your just blowing through on your way out the rotating exit
Old 05-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack Bauer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah if they deserve it then I can see it, but someone comes in with a nice looking bike with their only intention being to show off a new cool thing they have in the same way every other rider does on this site then why not just let them know they have a nice bike.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think we'll have world peace before that happens...

Like in life, take everything on the 'net with a grain of salt. Because everyone didn't rave about your bike (if that's what you were hinting towards) shouldn't bother you. Everyone has different tastes. If you asked on other forums, you'd get a different variety of answers.

Besides, we can all hide behind our monitors and act tough. But I bet in person we're a lot different. I, for one, don't carry a BS flag with me everywhere. Though it would come in handy...
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm a new rider...haven't been flamed yet

then again, this is prob my 1st or 2nd post in the bike forum...

my first bike is probably gonna be a friend's F2. i'm sure i'll do something stupid and drop it, hopefully it won't be something darwintastic. But thinking back on MSF classes (3 days ago) and the surprisingly brisk feel of accelerating on a honda rebel 250, and the numerous times i rolled onto the throttle in gear while trying to do the u-turn box, suffice it to say that a 80 some odd hp cbr kinda scares me.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Trial User

Yes.

The guys that flame post in this forum year round. Rain or shine you can find the few select individuals right here. Answering the sammme damn questions. This forum gets huge in the summer time and dies in the winter. But you can still find the faithful few who stay regardless of the season. Those who stay get to view picture filled pointless threads by Mschu and bashing of sup girls footwear.

I cant stand coming to this forum anymore because it is littered with guys with brand new bikes and asking the same questions. So yes, the bashing is necessary, because if you survive it (no pun intended), we'll know you really love motorcycles and want to be here

Ps. NOVA for life
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

perhaps its time for a new rider section of the forum...it would help filter questions and whatnot.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Pick up your trash!!!!

Default Re: (.Ash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like in life, take everything on the 'net with a grain of salt. Because everyone didn't rave about your bike (if that's what you were hinting towards) shouldn't bother you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No it has absolutely nothing to do with my bike. I don't care if you like it or not. Heck sometimes I don't even like it
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (.Ash)

As long as the inexperienced riders keep the **** away from me, I'm good.

It's because noobs that kill or serious injure themselves, our insurance premiums go skyrocketing. It's also because of a lot of noobs that we in the sport bike community have a bad rep.

All that stuff can only get better with experience. But how much experience do you think a noob will get if they kill themselves on a 600 (which I guarantee that most can't control their urges of a full twist) or a 1000?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Pick up your trash!!!!

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's also because of a lot of noobs that we in the sport bike community have a bad rep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alot of the bad rep also comes from experienced riders doing stupid things on the road or stunting on the streets. Also the knees to the breeze guys. I always cringe when I see someone riding in shorts and a t shirt. And the guys who can't seem to freaking drive under 90 mph passing cars on 2 lane roads and completely disregarding the law.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is it really necessary to flame all the new riders? (Jack Bauer)

I think for the most part people get flamed here only when they get cocky and disrespecctful. And that happens usually when we give them an honest opinion and tell them what they didn't want to hear.

I had 5 bikes before moving up to a modern 600 cc bike. I think it's a helluva lot easier to kill yourself on a 1300 cc bike than a 250 cc bike.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Seriously tho, I don't really give a crap about guys that wanna cruise on a hot day in their tshirt and shorts. I'm don't wanna waste my breath and I definitely don't wanna lecture anyone. But we all know that it's stupid and dangerous and it's generally frowned upon by the motorcycle community. Especially by the mature ones.

"Mature" is the key word there. You'll notice that most of your friends that do wreckless and dangerous activities are generally less mature. Maturity comes with time and experience. People generally grow out of things as they age.

When once it was cool to pop wheelies in front of the the high school, has now become immature. So if the mature members of this forum reads immature posts, the newer guys are probably gonna hear things they don't want to hear.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ISteerBMWs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hear your guement because i made the same one myself ashort while ago here in the motorcycle forum.

the is alot of useless flaming of people here for their choice of starter bike. the way i see it if you arent concious enough to choose a bike that would fit you and you will be able to safely learn on it then it should be of no problem to any of us. i mean if you do make the stupid mistake of buying something too big and disrespecting the power then you wont be posting here anymore anyways, because most likely you will be dead or totally incapacitated and unable to ride again.

on the other hand the flaming that people get here if the ninja 250 isnt their choice of starter bike is unaccpetable. there are many people who do have a good head on their shoulders and are able to ride much larger bike while still keeping the power and thier egos in check. unfortunately those people will likely be turned off to the vast wealth of knowledge kept here because they are getting a ery unkind welcome when they arrive here very excited about the new sport and toy that they have discovered and are now taking large amounts of pride and joy in.

either way i think we need to focus less on being negative than just explaining the negative aspects of what can happen. and instead of using large amounts of sarcasm and cut downs we should be trying to give as much of our own knowledge and experience as possible so we can build up the confidence of the less experienced riders out there while also helping them to be aware and cautious of everything they will encounter along the way to becoming experienced and knowledgable riders themselves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As long as the inexperienced riders keep the **** away from me, I'm good.

It's because noobs that kill or serious injure themselves, our insurance premiums go skyrocketing. It's also because of a lot of noobs that we in the sport bike community have a bad rep.

All that stuff can only get better with experience. But how much experience do you think a noob will get if they kill themselves on a 600 (which I guarantee that most can't control their urges of a full twist) or a 1000? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can see both sides of this argument and definitely think the regulars can be pretty harsh to n00bs. I see the idea that we're trying to scare them into being smart and start on something small, and it's all for their good (and our because of premiums). But can we not all agree that we have a passion for the sport and love to share that with others? So why can't we let people ask their questions, give them solid, kind responses without the "flaming"? I think the main problem is the e-sarcasm and e-lowballs that people make that can make an informative thread, like the infamous BBKA thread, go to a heated arguement that ends up being COMPLETELY useless to anyone. If BBKA goes out and gets a 250 and rides will full gear all the time, it sure as hell is going to be because of H-T.

I think a new rider section would be an awesome help. That way if the regulars don't want to be bugged by the n00bs, they don't have to be. And people that want to help them out, can. Simple. :sigh:
Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't care who you are but no noob should start on a liter bike. At the very least do a couple months on something smaller first. I went to a liter bike after 4 months but it's also a completely different liter bike then an i4. I also put about 5000 miles on my other bike which is more then a lot of people do in 2 years. The superhawk has about the same hp as most 600's but more torque. I had built up enough essentials from riding the other bike to be safe on the much more powerful bike. My buddy who has a rc51 admittingly told me he was scared of his 600rr. he never really got into the top end cause he hated it. The rc51 was more comfortable to him after learning on an sv650. Anyways what I'm getting at is we're trying to warn people about making foolish mistakes of getting bikes they can't handle cause you'll either wreck the bike or wreck yourself, or both. Get some experience to make sure you like bikes and have the basics, then upgrade
Old 05-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: (EngineNoO9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't care who you are but no noob should start on a liter bike. At the very least do a couple months on something smaller first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think anyone who knows what they're talking about will argue with you about that fact. Or about a 600rr/new GSXR/new R6. People may start argueing when it comes to f4i,f4, and older r6, but that is niether here nor there. I think and i think the OP will agree with me, is that the problem is not what people are saying, but how they are saying it.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (thehondabuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehondabuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think and i think the OP will agree with me, is that the problem is not what people are saying, but how they are saying it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea. I saw **** you very much with a all the time.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I did forget to mention the attitude so many noobs come in with. Thinking oh I'll be advanced after I take the msf or just want it for looks. I do get tired of everyone saying get a 250 or 500 first too. I say get something cheap that's at most a 650. I paid $300 for my first one and it was great.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: (EngineNoO9)

*waits for apocalypse to flame everyone*
Old 05-19-2006, 04:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea. I saw **** you very much with a all the time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you for your kind words lol
Old 05-19-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: (thehondabuddy)

If you want the real answer read everything in the thread that BBKA got banned in...if you have questions after that i don't know what to tell you.

It is neccesary...and i wish more people would do what we do on here, in real life. Two friends that i knew in h.s. just bought a busa and an 06 1k for their first bikes yesterday...they got them on the same day.Tthey don't have licenses, don't have insurance, haven't taken the MSF class, hardly have any gear, and i dis-owned them.

They talked about riding with me...and before they got the sentence out i shut them up. I will not ride with somebody like that until they have license/experience/proper gear/proper mentality.

I wish they would have consulted me first now i'm faced with possibly getting a phone call from their parents about funeral arrangements.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4-ageTOg63)

I dont know about all of you, but I take all the flaming as productive critsism. I think if you get offended then get over it. Everyone flames because sometimes thats what people need to here. Maybe some people are a little to emphasizing on certian subjects, but whatever.

If it wasnt for everyone here with there advice I never would have been as responsible on my new bike. My first bike was an 00 F4 I have about 2500 miles done now and am starting to get comfortable. I always wear full gear, always ride with a clean head, and always have fun while keeping the laws in check.

I always cringe when I seee riders wearing shorts a t shirt and helmet. And its sad to say, but most of them are older folk riding harleys and cruisers. You would think they would understand the risks more than the younger folk.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: (thehondaguru)

I didn't read any of the crap in this thread.

But yea it's totally necessary. Trying to save lives and all that.

Quick Reply: Is it really necessary to flame all the new riders?