Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

New rider, new bike. Don't know what I'm doin

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider, new bike. Don't know what I'm doin

Hi, I just joined the forum and could use some advice. I just bought this Honda 1980 CB900 Custom it doesn't run right now it was stored in the barn for about 10 years where would you start with this thing and what advice would you give to someone

who has yet to even take the motorcycle class we have a great motorcycle class in our state and I plan to take it before spring I would assume this is going to be a project that will take some time to get this thing Road ready any tips would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New rider, new bike. Don't know what I'm doin

Get the old battery out first, get a new battery or some jumper cables, pull the plugs and check the compression. If they are all above 125psi, then check the spark. If both those are ok it will probably need some fuel system love in the form of a fuel tank flush and a carb clean. If there is rust in the tank that will need to be taken care of. Hopefully it got parked with a full tank of gas and dry carbs. Budget for new tires also.....
Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Trial User

I have some cables and a compression tester ready for the morning. I think thevtank is clean with little to no rust but I'll get into it more tomorrow.
They say this is an old man bike? Maybe if I lose the fairing and bags. They worth anything?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave the fairing and bags on it. Bags are awesome, and pulling off the fairing will leave you with a junk of wires and no light. Your bike is not collectable, and it is not worth more in parts. Put the time into getting it running, you will learn a bit and have some fun. It is an old man's bike so what? Enjoy it for what it is, when you are ready to sell it the next guy that wants it will appreciate that you didn't butcher it. Go to the good will and find a cassette of AC/DC or lynard skynard and Rock it proud.

Also get a cable luber like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B0012TYX9W

​​​​it will probably save you a few bucks on cables.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome. it has the 2 speed transfer case! Those were cool bikes. did you get the motor to spin over?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost forgot. I think you can put a 10" single in the top box, or either that inffinity bass link. it bumped pretty good even while drivin'