Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

My fear of death

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 10:34 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default My fear of death

I ride a Kawasaki ZR-7S. Its got about 70hp and 40ft-lbs of torque.

its classified as a 'naked' or standard or sport-touring budget bike.

I got it cause i figured it was a decent ride for a big and tall beginner like myself, and it is.

I have ridden for 9 months. The last few months, things have really started to come together, and I am now riding so much better than I did only months ago.

My confidence in my bike has come up, my confidence in my abilities has gone up slightly. But, I am realizing that this plain old standard bike has limits that are WAY beyond what I am capable of handling, and WAY beyond what is useful on the street.

I have never been one of those guys that says "I push the limits of every vehicle I own." But I am turning into one. The thrill of sport riding is unlike anything else. But, I fear that I am taking chances with consequences that are beyond what I am willing to deal with. My fear of serious injury or death is getting to the point where when I pull away from my garage I wonder to myself whether or not I'll make it back.

You guys are probly thinking I have had some close calls or something. The truth is just the opposite. I have not had *any* close calls. What I mean is that there has yet to be a situation that caught me off guard. I saw the papajohns guy before he pulled out in front of me, I have spotted every piece of road debris and soccor mom in a LandStalker and planned accordingly. I have drifted around every patch of gravel or sand, oil slick, water spot, whatever.

The fact that I haven't had a serious scare, is scaring me, seriously. and I don't know what to do. I don't trust myself to keep the bike at legal speeds anymore, its just too much fun to tuck down, twist the wrist and fly. I have even thought about getting a cruiser. I read an interview with Eric Bostrom after his 600 superbike championship and he was talking about how he only rides cruisers on the streets since there is no point in a sportbike at legal speeds.

Maybe someday I will have the resrouces to be a track hound, or maybe I will get into dirtbiking - they both look like so much fun and keep it off the street.

Joe
Old 06-10-2002, 10:57 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My fear of death (falconGSR)

Joe,

The subject is a very important one and in the end, only YOU can make it of course. Many of us wake up to a new day, never realizing it will be our last. A good friend of mine was working in his attic this weekend. He fell through the ceiling and is now at the hospital. They think his chances of ever walking again are slim. He has a wife and two pre-school age daughters.

You could step off the curb tomorrow and get hit by the soccer mom yuppie larva busdriver on a cell phone just as easily as on a bike, howver, the bike IS almost infinately more risk than a car. Every time I get on mine, I consider the costs(risk) but... MAYBE THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE between us and those who get killed or seriously injured by never giving the sport the appreciation it deserves.

Come with us on our group rides and stay off the urban streets

[Modified by figment, 1:57 PM 6/10/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 11:56 AM

The simple fact is that the day that you stop being just a bit afraid of what can happen to you on a bike is the day that you have something really bad happen to you.

matthewk
Old 06-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: My fear of death (matthewk)

Well I think it's about time you shell out the dough and get signed up for some track days man.

You'll be able to go ***** to the wall in a somewhat controlled environment.

There is nothing wrong w/ being scared of death or going down, you just can't live your life in fear or else you'll miss the good times you could be having, which is probably one of the main reasons you bought the bike. Enjoy your time, everything happens for a reason.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My fear of death (ForcedAccord)

MAYBE THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE between us and those who get killed or seriously injured by never giving the sport the appreciation it deserves.
Excellent advice, I know the feeling. It is very difficult to keep a sport bike at the speed limit. I would suggest looking into some track time at your local track. You might be surprised to find out it is not as expensive as you may thing. Try to join a club usually they get discounts. This should kill your need for speed safely.

[Modified by nsxxtreme, 5:30 PM 6/10/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 04:43 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: My fear of death (nsxxtreme)

thanks guys. i think i am gonna try and cool it from now on.

I definitely want to start hitting the track in a few years when i acquire a truck/trailer combo...

just after i posted this thread, i got this email from my dad:

Surgeon dies in motorcycle crash

By Colleen Mastony, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 10, 2002

Dr. John W. Kearney first fell in love with the rush of motorcycle racing on the twisting roads outside Bologna, Italy, when he was a medical student. Years later, he became a general surgeon and worked his way up in medicine, eventually serving as the Chief of Staff at JFK Medical Center in Atlantis.

He never lost his passion for bikes.

Dr. Kearney,55, died Saturday on a morning run on his 2002 BMW 1200 motorcycle. He was traveling west on Bridge Road about one mile west of Pratt-Whitney Road in Hobe Sound shortly before 8:30 a.m. when his duffle bag, tied with bungee net on the back of the bike, came loose, lodged underneath the rear fender and caused the tire to lock.

The motorcycle skidded 700 feet before turning on its side, sending Dr. Kearney tumbling onto the shoulder, according to Florida Highway Patrol Cpl. Gottfried Koblitz. From the skid marks, investigators estimated that Dr. Kearney was driving more than 90 mph when he lost control, Koblitz said.

A motorist behind him only saw the dust cloud raised in the crash.

His helmet was not enough to protect him. He died at Martin Memorial Medical Center.

"He was larger than life," said his brother, Ed Kearney, 57, of Palm Beach Gardens. "Everyone he ever met fell in love with him."

John Kearney was born in Jamaica, N.Y., in 1946, while his father -- also a surgeon --was serving in the Navy during World War II. Dr. Kearney followed his father into medicine, graduating from Manhattan College in 1968. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and eventually finished medical school in Italy.

After graduation, Dr. Kearney returned to the United States with his first wife and settled in Pittsburgh, where he was chief of staff at Allegheny General Hospital.He came to work at JFK Medical Center almost 20 years ago, according to his brother.

Friends said Dr. Kearney was the type of man who could do just about everything, and doit all well. "His energy was nonstop," his brother said.

At work, it wasn't unusual for Dr. Kearney to perform four surgeries in a shift.

In his freetime, he was a fisherman who tied his own flies and an amateur photographer who had won a local award. He also was an avid bicyclist and a pilot.

"He was infectious when he talked," his brother said. "If he talked about photography, you wanted to go out and buy a camera."

Dr. Kearney was the family storyteller and often the center of attention when the clan gathered.

He is survived by two sons and a daughter. He was divorced from his first wife about 10 years ago and had remarried last year.

Their first anniversary would have been this coming Sunday.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:29 PM
New User

I saw two people pass me on the highway with a sleeping bag on back of a BMW. A few miles later thaey were both careflighted to St Mary hospital in Tyler. The girl did not make it...

Dont ride with loose bagage.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:14 PM
New User

Default Re: My fear of death (figment)

Joe, ya, I read that this AM in the paper. He was going 90mph though. Bikes are hella dangerous, but like Ryan said, things do happen for a reason

Stay safe
Old 06-11-2002, 09:40 AM

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Don't push it yet. As long as you know that you pay attention and are riding to your limits, then you are doing your part.

I am pretty much the same way. I ride and haven't had any really close calls. I mean I've had my share of running wide in corners and going off the road, or some major headshake on the exit of a corner that almost bucked me off the seat, but if you know what to do if these situations occur and do it second nature...

Then you are riding within your given limits. I do also believe that an accident can happen at any given time and a person has to be ready to face that concequence. And that is what causes a person to stay within those given limits, and tell them to slow down.

you will slowly get more aggressive and it will come easier the more comfortable you become with riding. But remember not to get ahead of yourself.

My friend once told me and I think about it every time I ride... He said, "as soon as you are no longer afraid of the bike you ride or lose respect for it or you abilities to ride it, that is when you run a greater risk of hurting yourself."

Old 06-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not what you DO see my friend . Stay wary, stay alive

[Modified by luke, 7:13 PM 6/11/2002]
Old 06-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My fear of death (luke)

sportbike riding involves risks, when dealing with risks, you should be scared, just don't let the fear get the best of you
Old 06-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: My fear of death (WishIHadANiceCarToo)

wait till you have one of those close calls... you think your scared now??? whoa boy... have you got a shocker coming should that day come... just hope your smart enough at the time to react and avoid it or at least minimize the damage...

i'm scared of dying, but at 155mph or diving through a canyon i don't think about it.. otherwise i might as well ride home park it and sell it first chance i get...

<--- 98 Ninja ZX6-R w/ Yoshimura exhaust, steering damper, frame sliders, jet kit and tuned.. a hair over 100whp