Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers!

Hey what up all,

I'm not the type to bullshit so I'ma jump straight into this:

I've been riding motocross / harescrambles since I was 12 (I'm 19 now), and I know how to handle large bikes (my father's XR400R is a beast) and extremely powerful bikes (my '99 KTM 300m/xc with mods out the waz0o)

I'm lookin for a good bike to start out on as an 'advanced beginner'. I know a lot of the basics although I've never ridden a crotchrocket. I know turning and breaking are much, much different on streetbikes than dirtbikes.

I'd like to start off on something a little larger than a 600cc bike. I was looking at the Suzuki 750 but I'm not sure if I could afford a bike like that. I'll be working all summer long, I don't know what I'll be able to make.

Can someone suggest an astheticly-pleasing bike (nothing boxy from the early 90's please!) that has some punch to it? I was thinking something around the years of 97 to 00. Maybe I'll have to settle for a 600 to afford a bike, I'll cross the bridge when I get there tho. I've looked in the Bargainnews but they don't have much of a selection in my price range (less than 5k).

CBR? RR? Suggestions? Tips?
thx

Old 03-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (veX)

For starters, a 600 sportbike is more powerfull than you think. I would look into a gsx-r600 since you have been riding big bikes for a while. That 600 will beat just about any production car on the road. The gsx-r is a very nice bike. You should be able to pick one up that is a few years old in your price range. The thing you have to worry about is insurence especially full coverage. It is very high for someone in your age group. I would check on that before you worry about what bike to get.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (ITR-862)

Settle for a 600...lol. You have much to learn.
Im sure a 600 will beat any mass production car on the road...unless you know of a car that runs mid to high 10's.

Edit: Street and dirt are completely different. Knowing how to balance will help you a lot but dont be fooled because you are experienced in dirt it will help you help a large street bike. Too many accidents too many deaths from people with the same mentality. A 750 like the gsxr is just a sheep in wolfs clothing. Its basically a liter bike with 600 weight.

[Modified by Etylorcen, 9:50 PM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (Etylorcen)

I don't believe that to be true. To say someone new couldn't handle the power is an ignorant statement. There are perfectly capable people out there, like myself, who could hop on a 1000cc super bike and have no qualms with it. Yes, I agree with you--however only partially. There are many people who are stupid and would crack that sucker wide open and kill themselves. Those who have a brain, in my opinion, should be perfectly fine no matter what they're driving.

I don't expect to know everything, in fact I know I have to take a training course before I get my license so I'm already aware there is necessary skills I'm not accustomed to. It's just kind of stupid to tell someone 'that's too big, you can't ride it' simply because of the power output.

I jumped from an XR100R (my first bike) to a '99 KTM 300mxc. That's a HUGE jump. I'm positive I could handle any sized motorcycle. Give me a day to learn and I'll be out of beginner mode and into intermediate
Old 03-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't believe that to be true. To say someone new couldn't handle the power is an ignorant statement. There are perfectly capable people out there, like myself, who could hop on a 1000cc super bike and have no qualms with it. Yes, I agree with you--however only partially. There are many people who are stupid and would crack that sucker wide open and kill themselves. Those who have a brain, in my opinion, should be perfectly fine no matter what they're driving.
I agree, my first and only bike was an FZR 1000. It was the first bike i was ever on, I learned to ride it the same night and drove it from denver to the Rocky Mtn National park (the night I bought it!). Scariest experience, but most definately a learning experience. I am extremist, so I just took my budget and bought the biggest meanest fastest thing I could afford. Ahh.... shoulda never sold it sniff sniff... lol

if you got half a brain and a little patience you should be able to get on any sportbike and "handle" it
Old 03-03-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (H22AMedina)

if you got half a brain and a little patience you should be able to get on any sportbike and "handle" it
Thank you! Someone with some sense decided to post something.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:55 AM
MGD

Like everybody has said, a nice newer 600 would be a great bike.....it will be awhile before you ride the wheels off one of those!!!!!!!!

Don't ask for peoples opinions if you don't want to hear them!!! Have fun and ride safe

[Modified by spoontang, 8:58 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (spoontang)

I am 6'3 and started riding my senior year of highschool, and I've been out two years, and this last summer my CBR 600f finally felt too small and underpowered. I like distance riding, and the fatigue from the 600 wasn't that much worse than fatigue on a TL1000 (not mine yet)... Now I am looking for something with 1k cc's or so, but I have put well over 25,000 sportbike miles under my belt. I feel comfortable riding a larger bike now, and basically used the 600 to gain riding skill on. It was fast enough, but not too much to handle. At first I thought it was really fast, but with time, of course it felt way too slow. Instead of worrying about ripping the throttle and getting up too fast, I could pay more attention to my leaning, braking, and acceleration. With a 600, you will have enough power up till an intermediate rider, and after you learn the way dumbshits don't watch out for you and how to watch for certain things, consider a bigger bike. And if you ever 'decide' to lay it down, you won't be as pissed on a 600, compared to something bigger and more expensive..luckily i haven't yet, but my day will come I'm sure. I hate maniac drivers.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (steve c)

IThat is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

The fact that bikes make less power at altitude is probably the only reason you are alive.
Please don't start a flame war here.

He's right. You CAN start on any bike you want, given sufficent will power. In fact, the FZR-1000 IS a decent liter bike to start with. Because of the EXUP valve, it ends up having a relativly managable bottom end, and not spikeing too much at 6500. It has a really wide and comfortable seat, and makes a decent sport-tourer. How do I know? I own one (see sig).

That said. I'm getting rid of it. I'm tired of the super high insurance, and I want to LEARN. You don't learn on a liter bike. A beginner doesn't ride a liter bike, they're just along for the ride. You don't start pushing the limits of the bike until you're going REALLY fast. Heck, I've taken that thing up to extremly-illegal speeds on a public interstate, with crappy pavement, and it felt posh.

Humans learn by failure. I have crappy tires on my CX. I love it. I've learned to deal with my car loosing traction. I've started using the hand brake in corners. It means, when I get to driving on snow and such, I'm perfectly comfortable. Why does this work? Because I've got bald 13" rims and a 70hp engine. If I was in a WRX with snow tires, I wouldn't even notice it.... Until I was taking that same corner at 40. But then instead of drifting a few inches over the line, I'll pile into the curb, or oncoming traffic.

Buy what you want. I'm just sayin, a 600 is more than you can use for a little while. Heck, buy my FZR. Then I can buy my RS-125 for the track.

[Modified by project_mercy, 9:30 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 PM
MGD

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (steve c)

I agree, my first and only bike was an FZR 1000. It was the first bike i was ever on, I learned to ride it the same night and drove it from denver to the Rocky Mtn National park (the night I bought it!). Scariest experience, but most definately a learning experience. I am extremist, so I just took my budget and bought the biggest meanest fastest thing I could afford. Ahh.... shoulda never sold it sniff sniff... lol

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

The fact that bikes make less power at altitude is probably the only reason you are alive.

The fact that you were a complete ******* moron and did somthing that should have killed you does not mean you should suggest the same level of idiocy to others. Doing so is in my opinion a crime.

What's even more sad is that you have apparently convinced this teenager that your actions are the way to go. I mean hell -- he is better off than you from the get go because he has experience with dirt bikes.

Generally I do not think children (and yes, I use this term for teenagers) should have access to sportbikes. Their lack of emotional maturity coupled with a lack of experience too often result in disaster. And what really chaps my *** is the fact that these **** heads who go out and buy fast bikes then kill themselves on them drive up my insurance rates.

I too grew up riding dirtbikes -- they are in no way similar to road bikes -- and riding on the dirt does not prepare you in any way for riding on the street.
Amen...Brother
Old 03-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to read more, like your responses for example

I took it to GA and Miami, FL... still lived, so WRONG AGAIN

The fact that you were a complete ******* moron and did somthing that should have killed you does not mean you should suggest the same level of idiocy to others. Doing so is in my opinion a crime.
Name, calling... hmmm... **** YOU

just because you couldn't do it does it make me stupid, it's called skill and ability, I obviously am a quick learning, something you can't relate to

What's even more sad is that you have apparently convinced this teenager that your actions are the way to go. I mean hell -- he is better off than you from the get go because he has experience with dirt bikes.

Generally I do not think children (and yes, I use this term for teenagers) should have access to sportbikes. Their lack of emotional maturity coupled with a lack of experience too often result in disaster. And what really chaps my *** is the fact that these **** heads who go out and buy fast bikes then kill themselves on them drive up my insurance rates.
For an "adult" you sure don't act like one,
I never gave him a suggestion as to what bike to buy, in the end he will do what he wants, irregardless of anyones suggestions or your bitching

you have no right to attack me like that, btw

so to sum things up

**** YOU AND YOUR SOILED DEPENDS

[Modified by H22AMedina, 10:57 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 PM

I too grew up riding dirtbikes -- they are in no way similar to road bikes -- and riding on the dirt does not prepare you in any way for riding on the street.
Splendid display of intelligence there. You're going to ******* flame someone on 'emotional maturity' when you don't have the maturity to spell ‘definitely’??? I’m so swayed that intelligence is your forte that I see past all your grammatical and punctuation errors and see your true enlightened side…
Back to the point: No matter what the bike is, someone with a good head on their shoulders will be able to ride anything, especially if they have some sort of 2-wheeled experience. I never claimed to ride the wheels off of a 600, I only want to put my money down on something I won’t outgrow as quickly. My XR100R was a big mistake in that after the first year in riding it I outgrew it. It’s suspension was far too inferior to take on the obstacles and jumps I attempted and at the speeds I worked up to.
Also, who said he was at altitude? Isn’t Georgia near Florida—and isn’t Florida practically sea level? I further applaud your displays of sheer brilliance.
Perhaps if your are as qualified as you, they could have afforded to buy you the kind of dirt bikes I rode…the ones with two wheels, a motor, suspension, a seat, handle bars, clutch, gas…you know….a full blown dirt bike.
And as for your insurance rates, perhaps you should take your flawed rhetoric to the DMV and ask them to remove motorcyclists from YOUR roads. The nerve of them. HMPH.

One ******* - A dime a dozen
One Forum - Free
Being verbally owned by an educated 19 year old college student - Priceless

[Modified by veX, 11:50 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 02:48 PM

With that settled, can anyone suggest a year or brand of bike? I heard the Yamaha's don't turn as well as Suzukis, is this true? I know it might depend on the tire one chooses, but in general, is this true? Riding position seems to be very comfortable. I've only sat on an R6... I don't know what a couple of hours on it is like, much less even riding it.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:53 PM

Oh and not to rub your defeat in any further, but if you click here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=430965 , there's a link to a nice little thread. Those of you too lazy to click, I'll give you the highlight of what was said:

jdmimports79 writes:
If they havent changed the gsxr in 3 years what does that tell you. I rode a 2002 gsxr 600 a few times this year and liked it alot. I think the 2002 gsxr 750 is one of the best bikes out right now. If I was a begginer I would have got the 750....I would also recommend the 750 to any new bike rider. Back to your question I think you answerd it yourself....if they havent changed it in 3 years that should tell you that bike must be a great bike. Im not a fan of the r6 at all. I think they just feel loose when i turn on them and just not good handaling. I hvae only rode a cbr 600 twice and I thought that bike was great in handeling...but both lack the power the 2003 gsxr 600 has.

further proof a 750 is "do-able" for beginners.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:56 PM

so is a lingenfelter vette, doesnt mean most people wont wreck the car and hurt themselves in the process. dont be arrogant, thats whats going to get you injured or killed.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (Malachi)

NO ONE IS A PERFECT RIDER. even the pros crash and burn. riding a bike is dangerous no matter where you are and how good you think you are. those professional stunters wreck constantly. another point is that you cannot control the action of others. if a car doesnt see you and swerves at you, you may not be able to move a bigger bike in time to save yourself. ALWAYS wear your gear. it will save your life ans skin. take the MSF course, tkae an advanced riding course. take any course so that you will learn as much as you can about how to ride correctly and how to avoid certain situations.
as for the 19 year old, be careful and take your time. i just had a friend who is 19 and a CHP officer go down hard of a canyon. he thought he was a really good rider,, and pulled out of a turn. needless to say his bike is toast, and he is recoverring well. age does matter becasue every 19y/o thinks he is invincible until he gets hurt.

ride safe
Old 03-03-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (scrubachu)

also, on another note, read the section for new riders on www. gixxer.com. the moderatros and member have ben riding for decades, and have loads of free knowledge and experiance to share. they will suggest a bike for you, and if you think you can outgrow a 600cc sportbike like a gsxr or r6, then watch some AMA races, and think again. everyone is defferent, so start slow and work your way up. if you want a bigger bike after a few months, buy them used so you can resell them later and not front 9k on a new one that you will sell.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Do you want to learn or show off? If you want to learn, you get something manageable that you can dump without breaking the bank and you go practice. Your experience with off-road bikes will help you - a lot, and that is VERY cool - but, you still have plenty to work on.

I know people who could start on a Gixxer or liter-class bike. None of them would tell you "I can handle it" without having the slightest idea about how these bikes handle!

Plus, you'll be much faster on an SV 650 (I am serious)...

Old 03-03-2003, 06:54 PM

if you think an xr400 is a beast you wont know what to do with a GSRX750. an xr400 makes maybe 40 HP as apposed to 115Hp on a gixxer and the new 600s make 100HP + the only major differnce is top end between a 750 and 600 anyway.
I went from a 650 upright bike to a Honda 600 F2 for my first sprots bike and there was a world of differnce there. Learned a real lot on my 600 and never regret getting it. I almost bought a 900RR ( the first year they were one) instead but decided not to. I pass guys on 1 liter bikes ( and thats saying a lot on a busa, let alone one with a 4" longer swing arm) on the corners because they started on them and dont know how to ride them properly except in straight line.

[Modified by busa1300, 4:04 AM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (busa1300)

power isn't what makes the xr400 a beast. It's a pain in the *** in that it's tall and it's heavy. None of you seem to get it, power is nothing unless it's tapped...christ c'mon people.

A honda civic is no harder to drive than a ferrari. Period.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:26 PM
MGD

Cocky little punk - One of daddy's seeds and one of mommy's eggs
Gixxer 1000 - $15,000
The look on your parents faces when they shovel your lifeless corpse off the road - Priceless

But hey, you can jump on a 1000cc superbike with no qualms about it....So you've got nothing to worry about!!!!

[Modified by spoontang, 5:44 AM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (spoontang)

no one here got cocky nor mentioned "daddy" was buying ****.... so what's your point? he just asked for some advice and everyone's giving him ****

no one here said "be stupid, kill yourself" right?

I am sure we all agree that all riders should be safe for themselves and others around them when on a bike

so why all the damn harshness in this thread

some of you need to relax
Old 03-04-2003, 04:28 AM

No you are the one who dosn't seem to get it. You asked for advise your getting it. If you dont want to hear what experince has tought us, don't ask! If your not going to even consider our advice don't ask! Every kid thinks they are responsible and have know everything, but it isn't until after you have experinced somthing that you have an understanding of what it is like.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers! (busa1300)

No you are the one who dosn't seem to get it. You asked for advise your getting it. If you dont want to hear what experince has tought us, don't ask! If your not going to even consider our advice don't ask! Every kid thinks they are responsible and have know everything, but it isn't until after you have experinced somthing that you have an understanding of what it is like.
Yeah, VeX. It sounds like you already have your mind made up.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:06 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

heres what 20mph in a parking lot does to you:

http://www.bytebrothers.org/TheAccident.htm

vex, wear a helmet. get whatever bike makes your ***** feel bigger. but be warned...the street aint no muddy field you're out bopping around in. you've probly got some dirt biker habits that will make you drop the bike or have an unexpected get off if you try the same maneuver on a sportbike. you'll have to unlearn those habits somehow.

people are just looking out for you. you don't know how much it sucks to see people die participating in our hobby/sport. i know that has no affect on you when seen through the haze of immortality felt at 19. you may appreciate it some day...

Quick Reply: Lookin to buy a bike this summer - could use some pointers!