Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13278266

I'm just posting this because Ross says misbehaving on a bike really doesn't endanger cagers, just the biker. Actually, it's more to show that those images from awhile back where the bike was actually in the car were possible and not necessarily staged. I'm thinking the motorcycle was traveling at an extremely high rate of speed and maybe the minivan turned in front of it?

LINDEN, Pa. - A motorcycle slammed into a minivan, knocking it on its side and sparking an explosion that killed all four people inside and the motorcyclist, police said.

State police said the van was turning off Route 220 when the motorcycle hit it Sunday afternoon with so much force it broke through the side of the minivan and knocked it over, said state police spokesman Mike Knight.

"If you look at the burned-out van, in between two seats in the van is a burned out motorcycle," he said.

Authorities on Monday were still trying to determine how fast the motorcyclist, Mitchel Ryan Levan, 20, of South Williamsport, was driving. The speed limit on that stretch of four-lane highway is 55 miles per hour.

Police also were investigating the possibility that there was another motorcyclist traveling with him, Knight said.

The victims in the minivan were identified as the driver, Tammie L. Sutter, 37; her 11-year-old daughter, Chelsea; Rodney W. Dishong, 52; and his mother Ida-Mae Dishong, 70. All four victims were from Jersey Shore, authorities said.

The crash was near an entrance to the Medieval Majesty Renaissance Faire, which opened over the weekend in central Pennsylvania.

Bonus Stories:

Falling tree kills biker on Kancamagus - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13308425
Lightning strike kills motorcyclist on highway - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13471386
Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers (Apocalypse)

Man, that's awful .... on several levels
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i just read about lightning striking that biker earlier this morning.

misbehaving on a bike doesnt endanger cagers??? so he thinks bikers only endanger themselves?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM

Default Re: (EGlovr)

Wow. Just wow.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Default Re: (that_guys_teg)

...that sucks. RIP to the fam in the van.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers (thesilverbullet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesilverbullet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man, that's awful .... on several levels </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, this sounds like a good occasion to whip out my physics book...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers (JMU R1)

I have this thing about motorcycle accidents.

Well, for one, I don't like them. But really, they're treated as a somewhat special-interest group that reside in a sea of conformity. Except anybody that's ever operated anything other than a motorcycle on the road knows that it's not just a bunch of Cavaliers and Accords going about their merry way. You get an accident like this and all of a sudden all sportbikers are a menace to society - they're all speed freaks and daredevils riding around with reckless abandon.... except you remember that ticket you got, Apoc? And remember how the cop couldn't find anything to write you up for other than an improperly displayed plate? We're not all a bunch of deviants. But in the public eye we are.

When you see a cager accident, no matter the cause, you rubberneck and go about your merry way and second thoughts include telling your coworkers about it around the water cooler. There's no "all red BMW drivers are crazy!" talk, and there's no unified front against some auto-driving group. Why? It's probably because there's no glaring differences between factory cars that people can differentiate consistently, quickly, and easily enough... but still. Maybe the cagers were driving like asshats and got what was coming for trying to Tokyo Drift down Route 66. Maybe the motorcycle accident that's fresh in their minds was completely, 100% the fault of some grey hair that didn't know there was a bright orange 600RR next to her.

I get this kneejerk 'motorcycles are bad' reaction from my mom when I visit. She'll see a motorcycle accident, maybe 6, 8 months, maybe even a year ago, and it's preaching time. But what about the 2 car accidents that made me late for dinner?

We've got enough problems to cope with as it is. It's SO EASY for people to see a sportbike and let a small percentage of riders ruin our reputation... heck, we got asked to leave a gas station on our ride over the weekend for no reason other than that we were on sportbikes. It's bad enough without us fighting among ourselves about this kind of thing. That accident is sad, and I think we all recognize, on some level, that every time we act like retards we endanger more than just ourselves.

So keep it real, and keep the rubber side down.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thehondabuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehondabuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...that sucks. RIP to the fam in the van.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM

I was taking my sister to the airport when that lightning stuck that guy on 36....

There was sooooo much traffic and when we finally were passing the scene i saw the bike being held up by a cop and someother person. It was all rashed up on its left side and it had spilled some stuff on the road.

My first thought was "damn cars...he probably got cut off"

Then when i was on my way back from the airport i saw the visor of his helmet next to the center divide....it was all very creepy.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Jackassery on a Bike Actually Kills Cagers (ASteele2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heck, we got asked to leave a gas station on our ride over the weekend for no reason other than that we were on sportbikes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nevermind that you were parked and laying on the pavement right in front of the pump without using it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nevermind that you were parked and laying on the pavement right in front of the pump without using it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was RJ, not me.

And it's not like there were 8 other pumps that weren't being used on his "busy day" anyways.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:21 AM

You were parked right there with him... and there were 4 pumps total, of which you were blocking half.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM

Still, I wasn't sprawled out all over the ground while you were dropping off the kids. I was sitting on the bike so I could push it out of the way just in case somebody did want to use that pump. We were just in front of 1 pump; that's not half of 4.

There was still nobody else at the station.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe there is a no loitering policy.