Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Help!: bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!: bike won't start

Hey guys,

I bought a '03 600 RR in May. It had 4900 miles on it and now its at 5400. When I bought it, it had the wrong battery in it, yes..the wrong battery. It died on me the first day and I took the battery in to have it charged and ended up buying a brand new (correct) battery that day.

This friday I went on a 30-40 minute ride, when I was about a mile from my apt. I ran into a buddy and let him 'walk the clutch' in a parking lot. He stalled the bike like twice and the 2nd time I was not able to start the bike. When I turned the key the lights went on, gauges went on, but when I flipped the 'kill switch' the fans and whatever else would not turn on like usual (I am a bike newb.) So..when I pressed the on button the bike would not turn over. Now, it wasn't making the rapid clicking noise. It would try to turn over once and the bike would seemingly reset itself (the gauges would reset and the lights would turn off and on again). I ended up walking the damn bike back a mile (partially uphill) to my apt. garage.

I am thinking maybe the alternator is bad or the connection is bad and I just ran the battery completely dead. I've ridden the bike about 500 miles since I purchased it and have only recently begun to ride more aggressively since this is my first bike and I am only now comfortable with my skills to go on real pleasure rides.

If this is an alternator problem, how much will it cost to fix? I'm worried because my battery was already $100+..I can't imagine how much an alternator + labor would cost. Oh yeah, I am planning on taking the bike to the local shop Callaway Motorsports in Riverside, CA (on University Ave.) but does anyone have a better recommendation for a shop? I'm a 'starving college student' and really want to try and avoid a shop that gives me a misdiagnosis in order to get more money out of me. Sorry for the long story.

Cliffs notes: new battery bought at 4900 miles, bike now at 5400. bike stalled and did
not turn over. bike resets itself when i press the on button. is this an
alternator problem? where is a good shop to take it to in the 909/951

Thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM

air, fuel, spark?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

R/R?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

Just sounds like a dead battery to me
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Re: (thehondaguru)

What is r/r? &..yeah I'm pretty sure the battery is dead but I don't know why it would be dead after only 500 miles which is why I am suggesting the alternator is bad.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b18C1_liLkyLe)

I got my bike about a month ago and had similar situation to yours. I was new to riding was was practicing my riding on the streets and ended up stalling a few times.

The next day when I tried to start it, the battery did not have enough juice to turn the motor over. So I bump started it, rode around for about an hour and it's been good to go ever since. I would try that before taking it to the shop.

Also, you may want to invest in a battery tender since sounds like you don't ride your bike very often.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18C1_liLkyLe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18C1_liLkyLe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is r/r? &..yeah I'm pretty sure the battery is dead but I don't know why it would be dead after only 500 miles which is why I am suggesting the alternator is bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could have been a crappy battery and he doesnt seem like he rides very often. That would kill your battery if your not riding