Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Fuel injected versus carburated

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injected versus carburated

I just started getting interested in bikes. However, what is the main difference between a fuel injected bike and a carburated one? I know how it works....but what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks. Which would you get?
Old 07-01-2002, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Fuel injected versus carburated (shamoo)

Maintenance is cheaper with FI (no carb sync). On a four cylinder, that makes a significant difference.

Old 07-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Texas B*tch!

Smoother throttle response, overall more responsive... ummm easier to tune(most people agree) umm........... don't have to let the bike warm up as much........

Oh yeah and I'd get FI.

[Modified by ForcedAccord, 6:23 PM 7/1/2002]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:10 PM

In reply to "which would you get", I'd get whichever came on the bike I wanted to buy

Carbureted bikes can be trickier to tune, and they're easy to mis-tune. They also require a bit more maintenance, with carb syncs and the like. Personally I would rather deal with carburetors than FI on a motorcycle...FI just seems more complex than I want to deal with (as I do all my own maintenance anyhow). FI is the future, I'm just stubborn and old-fashioned. Or something
Old 07-02-2002, 10:06 AM
New User

I just started getting interested in bikes. However, what is the main difference between a fuel injected bike and a carburated one? I know how it works....but what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks. Which would you get?

It depends on the bike. Some vary, even when comparing within the same make.

My 954 has FI and it has a distinct notch in the throttle response. The CBRXX has the smoothest response I have felt on a bike and is FI as well.

The Yamaha R1 has an excellent throttle response and this is the first year that model has had FI.

FI also is easier to tune, allows for more programmed diagnostics so it s easier to troubleshoot and CAN be cheaper to maintain depending on what is broken. Makes an extened warrenty more of a consideration on and FI bike. Neat little gizmos like shift lights like on the R1 are also nice.

Most bikes with FI (except BMW) run on an "open loop" system which means they use a look-up table to adjust fuel-timming etc. Most cars in contrast have closed loop systems which means they monitor the o2 and various other sensors to modify the fuel and timming that way. Because of this, you need a aftermarket mechanism to tune the bike for headers, intake and canisters.

[Modified by figment, 1:08 PM 7/2/2002]
Old 07-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Fuel injected versus carburated (figment)

So is carburated bikes a "thing of the past"? Are they slowly starting to go away to make way for the fuel injected ones?

What is the general price difference? I assume FI is more expensive, right? In that case, I'd better stay away from them. Hehe.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:53 AM

contraraies to what Dropping_by said you may not have carbs to sync by you stil have to sync your throttle boddies. fuel injectioned bikes ushully have a temp sensor and some sort of atlaspheric system or ampant preshure sensor so they can compensate for altitude and drastic tempiture changes. overall I would say injection is they way to go. plus with thing like power commanders you can adjust your fuel curve in 3d with a laptop.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:35 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Fuel injected versus carburated (busa1300)

i checked out the fuel injection setup on the honda VTX. i must say it looks like it was lifted straight out of their cars, with a throttle position sensor, map sensor, and fuel injectors.

Fuel injection will be the norm on expensive bikes. I think carbs will be around a long time on 'cheaper' bikes. Carbs are fine though. Fuel injection does help regulate emissions, which might me more of an issue on bigger bikes. bigger bikes = bigger engine = more interest by EPA.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:41 AM

I dont unterstand FI too good, but from my understanding, isnt it hard to adjust things on FI for a normal person (and expensive to buy the power commander or something?) Ive only used carburated bikes, and for me, its very easy to adjust, adjustable anywhere. I always bring a jet set to adjust my carb setting. Go up into the twisties, and if i feel there is a problem with my carb setting, i just bust out my jet sets and twiddle with it for a while, and boom done (its not usually boom, done, half guessing work). Carb seems soo much easier for me, since i do all my work on my motorcycle.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:41 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Fuel injected versus carburated (Raz1983)

growing up behind a keyboard, i'll take fuel injection.

i just picked up a programmable engine management system for my car, and i have spent the last few days getting it set up. yes, its MUCH more complicated than shims, needles and screws, but the drivability and adapability of the system means never having to pull over and tweak once the system is dialed in, since FI can compensate for changes in altitude and temperature via its plethora of sensors.

personally, when it comes to motorcycles, i think carbs are just fine, especially on a older bike. bike is a 2001 model but the engine was top dog back in 1983 (gpz750) so the carbs suit its character well.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel injected versus carburated (falconGSR)

Its a case of what nbike you want really as the newer stuff is injected anyway. Main drawback to carbs was the dreaded icing. Lowdown carburation can be sorted but it takes a damn site more time and effort than software mapping......Plus it stays put!.