Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

A couple of noob questions to ask about Motorcycle Jackets,fitment,materials etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 A couple of noob questions to ask about Motorcycle Jackets,fitment,materials etc.

Well hello again Honda-Tech.. As some of you may know I recently purchased my first Motorcycle. Honda CBR F2! I have all of my gear except a motorcycle jacket. Now I hear that buying everything else is relatively easy, But when it comes to jackets I don't know a thing. I was wondering, How is a motorcycle jacket supposed to fit? Snug? Somewhat loose? I get different answers from people. Now here are some of the questions I have...

1. How is a motorcycle jacket supposed to fit?

2. What material Should I get or what should I stay away from? ( I live in California so it never really gets too cold or too hot. In my opinion)

3. What is the difference between textile vs mesh and the other different types?

There are so many different kinds of jackets I don't know where to start. Some are for summer/winter and some are for just one season and what-not.

Now I'm a college student so I'm not going to buy a $600.00 leather jacket or full suit. (Although I would love to) I'm limited to about $180.00-$200.00. I know there shouldn't be a price on my safety but... So for the price What can you guys recommend for daily use?

Ive been looking at Joe Rocket jacket. I had a friend who let me use his for a bit and it was a Joe Rocket and it felt pretty good. (I won't know how well it works until I actually eat it lol) But they seem to be well built... What do you guys think.. here's the link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ng-Jacket.aspx
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: A couple of noob questions to ask about Motorcycle Jackets,fitment,materials etc.

i honestly prefer leather and recommend it. a jacket is suppose to fit snug but not to snug where it will make it hard for you to control the bike.

you can find some good deals here on some A* leather stuff. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...stars+from+STG

searh that site, they have some good deals every now and then.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A couple of noob questions to ask about Motorcycle Jackets,fitment,materials etc.

I actually just purchased one this morning at a motorcycle gear store! It's an Alpinestar A/S T-Stunt Air Flo jacket. They go for $200.00 but I got it on sale for $139.00 Pretty good deal if you ask me.. Ill post some pics of it here in a bit. Anyone have this jacket that can let me know how good/bad it is?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That jacket should flow really well, but since it's mesh it won't offer the same level of abrasion resistance that a leather jacket would offer. It should protect you from low speed lowsides, though it may end ruined after one spill.

I would have one, but as a second jacket, for city riding where speeds are slower...if I was only to have one jacket, I would get a leather one. I spent almost 1 year with only a perf leather jacket, and now I got a textile one for rain/colder weather.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM
TSPeed Factory

i personally only wear leather jackets. just feels more secure on me, and imo vent just as well as textile jackets for summer riding. one thing i do recommend is ALWAYS try on the jacket for sizing before you buy it! the jacket should fit pretty snug throughout your body, and the CE armor shouldn't be able to move around freely or loose. just keep in mind a 44 alpinestars jacket may not fit you the same as a 44 joe rocket jacket.

one mistake i made with buying my last jacket was that i thought since i owned a 44 size joe rocket corona jacket, that my new 44 size joe rocket jordan jacket i ordered would fit the same. turns out, even though they're the same brand and size, the jordan jacket fit me one size too big.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the F2!!

www.newenough.com also has great prices in the Closeout section. I've always had great service from NE (as well as STG (LSD's link)).

1. Moot point, but you want the jacket to be snug. Any loose part will bunch up and tear more easily should you fall and slide.

2+3. Leather offers the best protection. Textile is second-best. Essentially, a leather jacket can survive for lengthier slides and can be worn again after a crash (sometimes). A textile jacket typically sacrifices itself in order to protect you. I wear a textile jacket around town. Canyon-rides will see me in full leathers. Mesh is a poor choice, but it's better than nothing.

Originally Posted by i_VTEC
Well hello again Honda-Tech.. As some of you may know I recently purchased my first Motorcycle. Honda CBR F2! I have all of my gear except a motorcycle jacket. Now I hear that buying everything else is relatively easy, But when it comes to jackets I don't know a thing. I was wondering, How is a motorcycle jacket supposed to fit? Snug? Somewhat loose? I get different answers from people. Now here are some of the questions I have...

1. How is a motorcycle jacket supposed to fit?

2. What material Should I get or what should I stay away from? ( I live in California so it never really gets too cold or too hot. In my opinion)

3. What is the difference between textile vs mesh and the other different types?

There are so many different kinds of jackets I don't know where to start. Some are for summer/winter and some are for just one season and what-not.

Now I'm a college student so I'm not going to buy a $600.00 leather jacket or full suit. (Although I would love to) I'm limited to about $180.00-$200.00. I know there shouldn't be a price on my safety but... So for the price What can you guys recommend for daily use?

Ive been looking at Joe Rocket jacket. I had a friend who let me use his for a bit and it was a Joe Rocket and it felt pretty good. (I won't know how well it works until I actually eat it lol) But they seem to be well built... What do you guys think.. here's the link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ng-Jacket.aspx
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's exactly what the gentleman at the motorcycle store told me. To get a perf leather jacket. Best protection and they end up sort of molding into your body over time. I just don't have $400-600.00 to spend on a good jacket. I know there shouldn't be a price on my safety but.. Anyways The Alpinestars was on sale for $139.00 and it was breathable with a removable liner.. I really just couldn't pass that deal up. Luckily there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee at their store so I could use it for a week or two and if I don't like it I can just take it back for a full refund or they will get me into another jacket...

Last edited by i_VTEC; 06-02-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good jackets don't have to cost $400-600. It's a general rule that you get what you pay for, but obviously it doesn't apply to stuff that's on sale/closeout.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Good jackets don't have to cost $400-600. It's a general rule that you get what you pay for, but obviously it doesn't apply to stuff that's on sale/closeout.
Very true! Now for the shoes!

I don't want to keep riding in my Doc Martins anymore ha! What shoes do you guys recommend that aren't boots!? Ive seen some that actually look like shoes and are trendy but cover your ankles...

Heres a photo that I borrowed from a different post on Honda-Tech... Credits go to whoever took the photo but I am using it to ask someone which shoes these are?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what shoes those are, but they don't seem to provide much ankle protection, other than a flap. They're probably along the lines of this:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/b...cle_boots.html

Just go with a plain black boot - black matches everything. They don't have to be the racing boots. The touring ones are just fine. Just be sure it has adequate ankle protection (the top of the boot should come up to your shin).
Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AzntaggeR
i personally only wear leather jackets. just feels more secure on me, and imo vent just as well as textile jackets for summer riding. one thing i do recommend is ALWAYS try on the jacket for sizing before you buy it! the jacket should fit pretty snug throughout your body.
I was going to say find one that's snug and tight. I ride with a motorcycle group sometimes and I really don't know any of the people personally but so many of the members have these gigantic baggy jackets too look "cool". Whereas mine almost looks small on me. lol You want it to be tight so if you fall off the armor and everything stays in place and doesn't get moved around.