Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Cbr600 f4 runs for 5 minutes then dies... Wait 30 min then does the same thing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr600 f4 runs for 5 minutes then dies... Wait 30 min then does the same thing

Hello, I own a cbr600f4 year 2000. My bike has been running fine for the past few months and I went on a nice long ride the day before no issues whatsoever. I went to ride it again the day after and after about 5-10 minutes of idling and riding down to the street corner the idle dropped to 1000 rpms (normally 1500) and was inconsistent (plus or minus 100-300. I got on the highway and rode for about 5 minutes then the bike sputtered a bit and started losing power then died. I let it sit for 30 minutes and the bike started up just fine. I travelled down the highway for 2 minutes just fine and then it did the same thing. Sputtered and died. I let it sit for another 30 minutes and it started up just fine. I let it idle for about 5 minutes at about 1500 rpms and then the rpms started fluctuating again , dropped down and the bike died. I let it sit for a day and tried working on it today. The bike started up fine and idled perfectly, revved great so I decided to go for a short ride. I rode for maybe 5-10 minutes tops and same thing happened. Started sputtering and no power. One note is when it lost power the exhaust sounded very growly. It was consistent but just didn't sound like it was firing all cylinders. After thrust stall I waited about 15 minutes and tried to turn it over but the battery started to die. I think I didn't get enough riding in to charge the battery from all the other attempts to start it. I'm going to buy a trickle charger and a volt meter tomorrow. Also I don't hear any air rushing into the gas tank when I open it. I've been searching the net for hours and hours. Either it hasn't been solved or people aren't posting their answers. I will definitely do that
Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cbr600 f4 runs for 5 minutes then dies... Wait 30 min then does the same thing

More than likely the fuel pump is working inconsistently. These have had issues with the pumps. Also, if the fuel filter hasn't been changed in the last two-three years, it's time for it, as they start to break down, and little bits of debris tries to get into the float bowls, sometimes getting trapped at the float valve, restricting flow in the carbs. I didn't mention the tank vent line being blocked only because you stated that you don't hear "air rushing" when popping the cap, but it would probably be a good idea to check that anyways, since it's quick and easy. You should be able to blow though it fairly easily.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Cbr600 f4 runs for 5 minutes then dies... Wait 30 min then does the same thing

My bike was doing the exact same thing when I got it.. Rode it home from the buyer, about a 45 minute drive, and had no issues. Went out on a ten minute ride later that day, it died while going 30mph. Restarted it, it died. Again, it died. Waited about 20 minutes, started it, it ran fine for five minutes, then died..

Turns out on mine, it was a simple fix of turning up the idle a little bit.. apparently it was set at around 800rpm at idle, so once it warmed up, the idle would drop low enough that it would die when I let off the gas and coasted. Turned it up and fiddled with it until it stayed at 1000 when warm, and I haven't had a problem since.

Hopefully the issue is that simple for yours as well..? If not at least it's a very easy first thing to check.