Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Recommendations?

Hey guys,

I would like to get some opinions on what kind of tires I should get on my bike. I bought my F4i used and it came with Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro's on them. I've been told they are a race tire and I would like to get a street tire for the street. You would think the guy who sold me the bike would have told me they were race tires but no.

Anyhow, what kind of tires do you guys recommend? The sizes are 120/70ZR17 in the front and 180/55ZR17 in the rear.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2ct's?
regular pilot powers?
is it a commuter?
do you ride aggressively?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Tire Recommendations? (96 SOHC VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys,

I would like to get some opinions on what kind of tires I should get on my bike. I bought my F4i used and it came with Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro's on them. I've been told they are a race tire and I would like to get a street tire for the street. You would think the guy who sold me the bike would have told me they were race tires but no.

Anyhow, what kind of tires do you guys recommend? The sizes are 120/70ZR17 in the front and 180/55ZR17 in the rear.

Thanks for the help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

they're not race tires, per say. but not great commuter tires.

what do you plan on doing with the bike? track days, commuting? canyon riding? stunts?
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2ct's?
regular pilot powers?
is it a commuter?
do you ride aggressively?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say a tire that gets good mileage with some grip. I'm still a newb and I'm sure I'm not leaning over worth a crap. I live in C. FL and there really aren't even corners around for me to even learn on properly so it's mostly a straight line cruiser.
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (96 SOHC VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would say a tire that gets good mileage with some grip. I'm still a newb and I'm sure I'm not leaning over worth a crap. I live in C. FL and there really aren't even corners around for me to even learn on properly so it's mostly a straight line cruiser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Regular pilot powers, or even pilot Road 2 CT's...

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GraphiteAccord)

I wouldnt replace em just because they are sticky however...wear em out first before you replace em.

But yeah, if you are mainly doing cruising, a good sport touring tire should be fine. I'm rocking dunlop roadsmarts right now, its actually a dual compound tire as well
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (ucb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldnt replace em just because they are sticky however...wear em out first before you replace em.

But yeah, if you are mainly doing cruising, a good sport touring tire should be fine. I'm rocking dunlop roadsmarts right now, its actually a dual compound tire as well </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all going to matter the type of riding. If he's just toying around in traffic, getting Supercorsa's up to temp is going to be interesting.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Its not like they are rock hard at ambient, come on man

I used to rock r-compounds on the street every once and awhile and there were 0 issues, as long as he's not trying to drag knee right out of the garage, he will likely be fine, ya think?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (ucb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not like they are rock hard at ambient, come on man

I used to rock r-compounds on the street every once and awhile and there were 0 issues, as long as he's not trying to drag knee right out of the garage, he will likely be fine, ya think? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You should read the amount of squids on daytonas and Ducati's that bin the bike within a week of ownership, because the supercorsa's are so hard when cold. Squids are too used to the bridgestone's from their gixxers.

Edit: I could dirt track the daytona around corners after riding across town 20-30 minutes to the local mountain. The first three/four corners were crazy because you could get so sideways under power.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if they are good condition, its also prob better for him to sell em and get some money back since he'll flat spot em in no time

Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendations? (96 SOHC VTEC)

For a good wearing tire, the Pilot Powers are good.

I have also heard a lot of good impressions about the Bridgestone BT-016
http://www.motorcycle-karttire...pID=9
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendations? (Tornadom)

I bought my ninja with 12k on the clock, still had the original front tire
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say a tire that gets good mileage with some grip. I'm still a newb and I'm sure I'm not leaning over worth a crap. I live in C. FL and there really aren't even corners around for me to even learn on properly so it's mostly a straight line cruiser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

pilot powers might be your best bet. rguy switched to the new metzler m3's on his old r6 and loved em. the new bridgestone bt 016 are leaps and bounds above the old ones they had out.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

pilot powers might be your best bet. rguy switched to the new metzler m3's on his old r6 and loved em. the new bridgestone bt 016 are leaps and bounds above the old ones they had out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

M3's are cheap tires anyway you look at it. Don't make the mistake of going with a 2nd rate pirelli.

The bridgestone was, and still is a joke.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">M3's are cheap tires anyway you look at it. Don't make the mistake of going with a 2nd rate pirelli.

</TD></TR></TABLE>i agree. personally id go with the PP's, but i wanted him to at least know his options
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

M3's are cheap tires anyway you look at it. Don't make the mistake of going with a 2nd rate pirelli.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

They actually get pretty good reviews *shrugs*

&lt;--has a set waiting to go on
Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's all going to matter the type of riding. If he's just toying around in traffic, getting Supercorsa's up to temp is going to be interesting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, in the first two weeks of owning the bike I put 1000 miles on it with a combo of street/highway riding and I haven't had any problems yet. I think I've leaned over a pretty good amount for a newb but ever since someone told me they are more of a track tire in the back of my head I'm always a tad nervous. I intend to wear these out some more but I'd like to have a tire in mind to replace them as soon as they are worn more.

I think the shop I bought the bike from threw the tires on after his son had done a race with them. The sides are torn up but the middle tread is great. Ha. So when I pull in places it looks like I really know how to ride because the sides are chewed up but my chicken strips are starting to show.

I think I'll go with the Pilot Powers as mentioned.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get continental road attacks, there priced well, sticky enough to drag knees, and they last for a while. only tires ive ever had were u can ride over cracks, and painted surfaces with no problems at all. ive ridden dunlop,bridgestone,metzeler,michilin,shinkos and the contis were the best for my riding. commuting to work, and 200-300 mile weekends at the twisties. heres 2 really good reviews, ill be putting the sport attacks on my 600rr, i had the road attacks on my bandit 1200.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/r...k.php

http://www.canyonchasers.net/r...k.php
Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Hooligan)

Well, I'm still using these tires and I've ridden 1700 miles with them. So far I've had zero issues with them and I even rode in some heavy rain despite me wanting to and I came out OK thank god.

Anyhow, I'm down to 4/32's tread in the front and 3/32's in the rear. Think it's time to replace them? What can these tires go down to before they are dangerous? 2/32's? 1? I'd like to keep using them a little longer if I can but if it's dangerous then I'll replace them. The sides still have 7/32's or more but I'm not leaning over a lot yet.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I'm still using these tires and I've ridden 1700 miles with them. So far I've had zero issues with them and I even rode in some heavy rain despite me wanting to and I came out OK thank god.

Anyhow, I'm down to 4/32's tread in the front and 3/32's in the rear. Think it's time to replace them? What can these tires go down to before they are dangerous? 2/32's? 1? I'd like to keep using them a little longer if I can but if it's dangerous then I'll replace them. The sides still have 7/32's or more but I'm not leaning over a lot yet.

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those tires are good until they show cords.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
RIP 1032

Michelin Pilot Powers (Regular & 2CT). i've heard they have crazy grip on double yellow line in the center of the road.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (life sux die)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by life sux die &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Michelin Pilot Powers (Regular & 2CT). i've heard they have crazy grip on double yellow line in the center of the road. </TD></TR></TABLE>

never tried the regulars Vs the 2ct's...I don't like to be cheap on tires. My next set will be pilot races.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After reading replies and talking with the guy at the dealer about my riding I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Road's. I should have the bike back in a few days and get to start using them.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bridgestone BT016 will be my next tire.
I had BT010 on my last bike, and they were the best street tire ive ridden on.

Anyone who thinks they are a "joke" is an idiot.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After reading replies and talking with the guy at the dealer about my riding I ended up getting a set of Michelin Pilot Road's. I should have the bike back in a few days and get to start using them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i hear the pilot road 2's are awesome street tires.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations?