Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT???

as the title reads, are there any aftermarket manufactures that make Cam Chain tensioners for the F4i. or should i just go with the OE replacement??? Pre-Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT??? (ryanbartholomew85)

I use an ape cct on my f4i.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT??? (Etylorcen)

I've heard good things about the Ape manual adjustment CCT's for the CBR's.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have TWO Ape MCCTs on my bike (mine requires two... )

They're a great upgrade.

You have to adjust them about once a year, but they won't fail like the OE units.

With regards to the installation, there are two ways:

1) Remove old CCT, replace with new MCCT (don't forget the gaskets). Adjust MCCT until there is no more rattling noise.

2) Remove the gas tank, airbox, cylinder head, and everything else that allows you to access the cam chain. Remove the old CCT and check to see the correct amount of tension is applied when installing the MCCT. A service manual would be very beneficial.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

to confirm what marmaladeboy said, i've heard lots of people saying that the rattling went away once they installed an APE manual CCT, but then you never hear about how they like it over the course of a year. What i've heard from some more experienced racer/shop owners is that you have to adjust the APE CCT at least once a year, if not more. That doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it's such a pain in the *** to get at the CCT. A shop owner said he would only recommend a manual CCT for racing.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrblckf4i)

i just deal with the noise
Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrblckf4i)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrblckf4i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to confirm what marmaladeboy said, i've heard lots of people saying that the rattling went away once they installed an APE manual CCT, but then you never hear about how they like it over the course of a year. What i've heard from some more experienced racer/shop owners is that you have to adjust the APE CCT at least once a year, if not more. That doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it's such a pain in the *** to get at the CCT. A shop owner said he would only recommend a manual CCT for racing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Adjusting the MCCT is hard for you F4i owners. I've seen where Honda put the CCT, and it makes me wonder what idiot or munchkin decided to put it right behind the frame. Hey hey, $70/hr at the shop!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, Are there any other CCT's that people have heard of or have used besides the APE?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (ryanbartholomew85)

very intrested in this topic as im in the same boat as u ryanbartholomew85, if u come up with any more info on this please post it as i will be watching it and waiting for e-mail replies

bump for adding e-mail replies and hopin for some good info
Old 10-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryanbartholomew85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys, Are there any other CCT's that people have heard of or have used besides the APE?</TD></TR></TABLE>
AFAIK, only APE makes replacement (manual) CCTs. Some people have tried making their own adjustable CCTs that use the OE piece, but that's too labor intensive for me. I have trouble dialing on my cell as it is...
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM

This just looks way too easy...

http://www.tinman.dsl.pipex.co...s.htm

Changin a CCT to me makes me think of putting a tensioner on my B18B1 or changin one on a 4G63 (ya sorry i said that here)... guess the design isnt like that, then again i havent seen a blowup of the cam chain system or one taken apart for that matter...
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteTegSE)

thanks for the link WhiteTegSe, that should help out alot... again, thanks everyone else for your help.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM

whatever you do don't get an OEM replacement, the rattling will be gone for 6-8k miles but will be back again.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectEK9)

please clarify for me:

if i have the rattle at 5k, but don't change the CCT, what will happen?

the rattle doesn't bother me that much, so i'm not going to change it just because of that, but if it's a symptom of a bigger problem......

Old 10-17-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT??? (Etylorcen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Etylorcen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use an ape cct on my f4i.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fogset415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fogset415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please clarify for me:

if i have the rattle at 5k, but don't change the CCT, what will happen?

the rattle doesn't bother me that much, so i'm not going to change it just because of that, but if it's a symptom of a bigger problem......</TD></TR></TABLE>
The cam chain can jump off the gears, eventually leading to engine damage. The point of the CCT is that it rattles when it needs to be replaced.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for clearing that up for me. i guess that's one more thing on the list.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fogset415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fogset415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for clearing that up for me. i guess that's one more thing on the list.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My take on replacing the CCT with a manual one is that it's preventive maintenance. Sure, you could wait until the tensioner starts rattling, but you could also install the APE MCCT, adjust it every so often, and not have to experience CCT-failure.

It's akin to replacing your battery every 3 years, even though it's supposed to last four, because you know you're going to be stranded when you most need to be somewhere.

But, everyone has their own way of doing things. Good luck with the replacement.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys... i have sorted everything out now, and edyting is cool mang!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 PM

i have this issue on my F4i also and recently went by my local Honda shop and they said they latest, 4th (?) iteration of F4i CCT seems to actually work properly and solves the problem. any truth to this?

also, in addition to the implied annual adjustment of the APE CCT, the same mechanic mentioned that there's a potential for it to back out. has this ever heard this happening?

TIA.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All OEM CCTs will fail. That is just the design. The benefits of the "updated" CCT has been debated to virtually no end on the Superhawk forum, and quite possibly many others. There is no permanent solution. When the OEM unit begins to fail, it will require replacing.

When the APE manual CCT (MCCT) begins to fail, it will require you to readjust the tension manually. But, this is very infrequent, usually only once a year is sufficient.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 PM

Marm so you need this on your bike as well?? what is it with hondas, ive never heard of the 929's and 954's having this problem....
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep.

AFAIK, all earlier CBRs were inflicted with this (weak CCT). But it's good to hear that 929's and 954's are not as prone to CCT failure.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh I went oem upgraded cct's. so far so good
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep.

AFAIK, all earlier CBRs were inflicted with this (weak CCT). But it's good to hear that 929's and 954's are not as prone to CCT failure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

AFAIK, dammit you lost me I know AFK but lost me there...

As for the 929 and 954 i havn't heard that they have the same issue, but then again i don't ride one

Quick Reply: which is better, Aftermarket-or OE Replacement for F4i CCT???