Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Anyone start on a 1000cc bike?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM
#1 Washington Commanders Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone start on a 1000cc bike?

I take my MSF class next week, and I am starting to really look for a bike. I was talking to my friend (taken and passed MSF course, but doesn't have a bike yet) about starting on a liter bike. Neither of us are planning to start on a liter bike, but the idea has crossed our mind, as we have seen a lot of R1s, 1000rrs, 954rrs, etc. for sale.

Anyone have an experience starting on a liter bike?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (The GreenD16)

Yes... I would not suggest it
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i started on a bandit 1200. as long as your level headed and have common sense i dont see anything wrong with it, but i do suggest a smaller bike. its also nice starting on smaller bikes cause when your ready to jump up to a 1000, the power increase will def be exciting.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes... I would not suggest it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you mind explaining why? Is it just a speed/power issue?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't the answer obvious?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
cthulward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The GreenD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you mind explaining why? Is it just a speed/power issue?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what car would be best to learn to drive with - a carerra gt, or a clapped-out old civic?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (The Hooligan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Hooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i started on a bandit 1200. as long as your level headed and have common sense i dont see anything wrong with it, but i do suggest a smaller bike. its also nice starting on smaller bikes cause when your ready to jump up to a 1000, the power increase will def be exciting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I started on a R1, I had no problems...just respect the bike
Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (ragnaroek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragnaroek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clapped-out old civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome...

well to best honest OP, we have been all over this issue many times before. But for sake of NOT being elitist, I will try and touch on a few of the highlights.

first and foremost, a new rider does not possess the skill sets necessary to efficiently and safely pilot a liter sized Sport bike. It's not like, and can not be compared to, driving a mclaren f1 really slowly on the street, in fact I dare to say its exceptionally different from that example in that a motorcycle requires skill that is not inherent to an individual based slowly on the time that person has spent behind a wheel of a car. A liter sized sportbike will do WHATEVER you ask of it... and if you ask the wrong questions, your not going to like the answers you'll get.

Secondly, the cost to enter in to and to replace when riding a liter sized bike are in general, higher than a entry level bike. The reason being a liter sized bike is considered an experts bike, so it comes equipped with more sophisticated equipment and more expensive components of higher grade construction.

Third, you really don't want to die on a liter sized bike before you've had the chance to really learn what you are doing, we'll all make fun of your newbiness and bash your ability to make mature decisions. while it may still hurt the same if you die on a 250, if your on a 1000 we'll all laugh our ***' off

on a serious note... I don't think I know one serious rider that would make an argument or suggest that it's a fair or safe bet to learn on a 1k... we've done it and survived, and we don't suggest you do the same.

Modified by MSchu at 6:40 AM 9/5/2008
Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (MSchu)

Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dont do it bro. If a 600 can respond very efficiently, the 1ker could catch you by surprise at a time you might now expect it.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
0861 OORAH!!!

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (jackinthetrunk)

I didn't feel like killing myself off the bat, seeing as how a 1000 will slide out in every gear and wheelie like its cool, I started with a 600 under the advice given to me by a friend.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (Lude-Conduct)

i started on a R1, i rode for almost 5 years and never went down, and didnt really have any close calls, liter bikes have alot of power you just gotta respect the power and you should be ok
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (01-0720)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-0720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you just gotta respect the power and you should be ok </TD></TR></TABLE>

And there lies the problem...most people don't respect a 600's power, let alone a 1000.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike? (96 SOHC VTEC)

very true

plus it also doesnt hurt that im almost 6'2 bout 280lbs so i can handle the 1000 a little better
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"respect the bike" is bullshit.
you will probably die or be seriously hurt if you start on a 1000cc sportbike (or even a 600cc supersport for that matter).

IF you manage to beat the odds, you WILL learn a lot slower than if you had started on something more manageable/forgiving.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Along with what schu said, I'd even say a new 600 will still get you hurt just as fast. New 600's accelerate to 60 mph in ~3 secs and to 135ish in well under 11 seconds. Yes, many people do start on 600's and a some start on 1000's. But for pete sake do not go buy a new bike, wreck it, claim it on insurance, and make the rest of us suffer for our already unreasonable rates.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CyberLeader)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CyberLeader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"respect the bike" is bullshit.
you will probably die or be seriously hurt if you start on a 1000cc sportbike (or even a 600cc supersport for that matter).

IF you manage to beat the odds, you WILL learn a lot slower than if you had started on something more manageable/forgiving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a bunch of bullshit right there, you shouldnt speak of what you know nothing of

im proof, my 2003 R1 was my first bike, i rode for 5 years and never went down once, and i didnt ride like some girl, i had my fun

i beat the odds and i didnt not learn any slower then anyone else, hell ill ride circles around you

yes a 1000 can get you into trouble, but you have to have common sense when riding, it has alot more power and torque and will spin the wheel or wheelie no problem, but like i said if you respect the power you will be fine
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (01-0720)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-0720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats a bunch of bullshit right there, you shouldnt speak of what you know nothing of

im proof, my 2003 R1 was my first bike, i rode for 5 years and never went down once, and i didnt ride like some girl, i had my fun

i beat the odds and i didnt not learn any slower then anyone else, hell ill ride circles around you

yes a 1000 can get you into trouble, but you have to have common sense when riding, it has alot more power and torque and will spin the wheel or wheelie no problem, but like i said if you respect the power you will be fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

you sir, were a, lucky, b a *****, or c lucky. I dont know how well you ride, but I bet you arent within 50% of any liter bikes true capability.

I hate these people. Congrats at beating the odds. Congrats on having more money than brains.
"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant, doesnt mean she can dance."
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm tired of these threads, remind me to just begin ignoring certain users.

Natural selection will eventually weed them out.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
she's cheating on you

Default Re: (Willybeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Willybeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Natural selection will eventually weed them out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. 01-0720, did you ever track your R1?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Willybeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Willybeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you sir, were a, lucky, b a *****, or c lucky. I dont know how well you ride, but I bet you arent within 50% of any liter bikes true capability.

I hate these people. Congrats at beating the odds. Congrats on having more money than brains.
"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant, doesnt mean she can dance."</TD></TR></TABLE>

guess you could say i was lucky, but definitly not a *****, im not gonna sit and argue how good i am over the internet with you thats phuckin dumb

why do you hate me? because i can ride, because i have common sense, because iv never wrecked? how is it i have more money then brains? when i ride responsible, and dont wreck, and fyi responsible doesnt = riding like a *****
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
slm

Who can really say they get the most out of a 600 or a literbike on the street? People will say they do, but its a joke. I don't see the point of having these threads pop up, it brings the same old arguments; "your gonna die for sure" or "hell I did it aint no biggie just respect the throttle".

When people ask I always say a liter bike can run the quarter in under ten seconds and go 90 in first gear. I ask if they need that or could even see themselves using it. I mention they get worse gas mileage than a 600 and after that I don't care. Its not my skin and bones.

I try to point out 650s twins, sport touring 600s and older 600 supersports, but most people buy what they want and have already made up their mind. Most people make a decision to buy a bike based on emotion, not on practicality. If they did nobody would buy sport bikes.

If they OP finds a liter bike or 900 for the right price, and he likes it, he should go for it. Part of being an adult is making a decision without the consolation of others and living with the decision. Buying a 600 or 250 does not absolve you from something bad happening.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-0720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes a 1000 can get you into trouble, but you have to have common sense when riding, it has alot more power and torque and will spin the wheel or wheelie no problem, but like i said if you respect the power you will be fine </TD></TR></TABLE>
ROFL
99% of people who are "OK" starting on a new 600/1000cc sport bike only rode in a straight line down to the local hang-out spot to pose.
Does that sound like you? If so, than congratulations. you can run "circles" around me, so long as its in a straight line.

someone who spent a year on a 250 will be a MUCH better rider than you after years "surviving" on your R1.

new riders DONT KNOW what they need to respect and how fast they can get in WAAAAY over their head on these race bikes with lights and mirrors.

You made your choice, and its not something anyone can change, but suggesting that starting on 1000cc bike is OK is beyond irresponsible, and incredibly stupid.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:47 PM

respecting the bike has little to do with it. it has everything to do with if you are human. humans make mistakes. if u mistakenly give it too much gas out of a corner on a liter, you are less likely to come out ok than if you are on a 250. also, when you are a beginner you are more likely to make stupid mistakes like drop it at low speeds or at a stop, why drop an expensive liter sport bike when you could drop a cheap smaller bike. get your mistakes out on a pos then get the nice bike.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (that one guy)

wow these threads are horrible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone start on a 1000cc bike?