Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike..

I am new for shopping for dirtbikes , I want some thing that will be problem free for a long time. what kinds of things should i look for?
I have come across a '86 xr200r bike for $1500 and they're kinda firm on the price.. think thats reasonable? it looks to be all stock, never rebuilt, could use a new rear tire, overall it looks really nice, no oil leaks, plastic is all there not broken, suspension is near mint...

* is there anyone here with personal experiance with this model?*

*How are the motors on them, how often for a rebuild, what kinda of costs for a rebuild?* your opinion on it?

I am looking just to ride trails and the odd field nothing insane or racing like, I am very easy on my machines so any info would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
RAK

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike.. (Maxcapacity)

Pretty expensive for a 22 year old bike. Those engines are pretty much bulletproof. In '86, Honda went back to the more reliable two valve head and single carb. Compared to a two stroke, they are more expensive and a bit tougher to rebuild.

If you want a dirt bike just to ride trails at a moderate pace, stick with a four stroke but look for something newer, like a TTR-230 or DR200. Electric start is nice to have on a four stroke trail bike as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike.. (Maxcapacity)

I had an '86 XR200R in amongst my fleet of XR250Rs. As mentioned, the two-valve versions are bulletproof. Honda sold pretty much the same bike for over 15 years with few changes.

I wouldn't pay $1500 for it; I'd rather have a 250R for that kind of money. $1000 would be my limit if it's as clean as you claim it is. Snoop around Craigslist and you can find a newer one for less.

Air cooled four strokes can go indefinitely without the need for a rebuild, as long as you keep the air filter and oil clean and don't overheat the crap out of it. Look for oil smoke from the exhaust: if it smokes a bit, it probably needs a new piston & rings and a hone job. Keep in mind that replacing the top end on an OHC 4-stroke isn't nearly as simple as with a 2-stroke, so you'll need proper tools and some know-how. If it doesn't smoke at all (it shouldn't), it's probably been well kept.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Electric start is nice to have on a four stroke trail bike as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Electric start on a 200 single is for pansies. I could start that thing with my hand.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
RAK

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike.. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Electric start on a 200 single is for pansies. I could start that thing with my hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear you on that....It's nice on the big bikes though. You have to go through a ritual to start my yz426 at times, especially when you are tired and stalled on the trail
Old 08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Re: Any thing good to say about '86 xr200r dirtbikes? wanting to buy a bike.. (RAK)

The bike started up right away when it was cold, I tried offering $1100 but no deal.. The thing has no scratches nothing is bent the exhaust looked tad bit white - could be because it was cold? were honest about how they treated it, It was the wifes bike, she even has a harley so I think she knows how to ride atleast... they changed the oil every few rides and spark plug.
I'm not looking to only putt around but something decent. I have been scanning craigslist everyday and have come across two of the same model one a '84 for $1800 and does'nt look near as mint as this one I found, and a '83 for $1600. So I was thinking mayyybeee $1250 to get it..
What do rebuilds usually go for?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how big are you? thats a bit of a small bike for a full size guy. and the price is way to high. what kind of terrain are you going to ride?

Maybe its just your area but around maryland you can get late 90's early 2000's dirt bikes for 1,500$

Id say keep searching till your find something a bit newer/bigger.