Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

'87 CBR600 F1 or other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 CBR600 F1 or other suggestions?

I made a thread earlier looking at Honda Sabres and Hurricanes, and more recently, I was looking into buying a 1985 SUzuki GS550E. Unfortunately, as with the Sabre, the bike was sold before I could even look at it. The search continues, and the bike I'm looking at now is a 1987 Honda CBR600 F1.

The asking price is $750, and for that I get a complete bike that hasn't been ridden in 2 years due to an ignition problem (supposedly). The fairing is a little beat up, but overall, the bike looks like decent value for the money. My brother is a pretty competent motorcycle mechanic, and he told me to be weary of malfunctioning ignition on the newer bikes, since they switched from an old school, easy to fix, cheap to replace points system to "black box" electronic, transistorized ignition, which is much more expensive to replace.

There's also an 87' Hurricane for sale for $500 with a clean title that's missing the fairings. I wouldn't mind rigging up a sort of ratty "streetfighter" as long as it had the power to back up the look.

Any input on buying a "fixer-upper" late 80s early 90s sport bike? Or any suggestions in general on what to get? Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep the budget <$1k, and looking to get a bike that isn't too big (figure less than 500lbs wet), isn't too thristy, and is cheap to insure. I also try to avoid the "cruiser" looking bikes at all cost. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only drawback to the CBR F1's is the lack of parts availability, especially compared to the F2 and F3 bikes.

Can you save up some more for a bike in better / running condition?

Don't forget to budget for gear. MSF. And insurance.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '87 CBR600 F1 or other suggestions? (CivicWagonRUS)

I agree, parts may be harder to come by. Have you looked at fzr/yzfs? The late 80's models were awesome!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an 88 hurricane, and the first thing i learned is that a complete set of fairings is worth more than the bike.
Its a nice bike and has plenty of power. It moves me and I'm 275lbs. Also parts are not very plentiful. Even eBay is rarely helpful. But $750 sounds like a deal depending on mileage etc. I paid $1100 for mine
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only drawback to the CBR F1's is the lack of parts availability, especially compared to the F2 and F3 bikes.

Can you save up some more for a bike in better / running condition?

Don't forget to budget for gear. MSF. And insurance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been riding for two years now, and I learned to ride from some very experienced riders (one of which races 125cc two strokes). I don't mean to offend anybody, but the MSF course is a crock of ****. You ride in a controlled environment, and you never even ride on the street before getting your lisence. I got my license the good old fashoined way: I practiced with an experienced rider, and then went to the DMV and took the road test.

Also, in buying an older bike, I'm trying to save on insurance. The cheaper it is, the cheaper it will be to insure, atleast that's what I was told.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicWagonRUS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't mean to offend anybody, but the MSF course is a crock of ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not exactly. Street experience is very important, but the MSF will help you ride smarter and safer. Even experienced riders can learn something from the MSF course. There is more to riding a motorcycle than knowing how to shift, control the throttle, negotiate through turns, ect... MSF is a good idea
Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: (fatboy01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatboy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not exactly. Street experience is very important, but the MSF will help you ride smarter and safer. Even experienced riders can learn something from the MSF course. There is more to riding a motorcycle than knowing how to shift, control the throttle, negotiate through turns, ect... MSF is a good idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, and MSF (atleast the one around here) is pretty bad about teaching all of that. My friend's mother took the MSF, and she tired to correct someone on how to correctly place your feet when standing at a stop. Instead of having your left foot down and the right foot on the rear brake, she insisted that it was the other way around. Then again, she is a woman

For people without access to an experienced rider who can teach them how to ride, I suppose MSF is the only "safe" alternative. However, given the choice, I'd choose the former.

Anyways, any suggestions on older, cheaper, but still quick bikes?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatboy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not exactly. Street experience is very important, but the MSF will help you ride smarter and safer. Even experienced riders can learn something from the MSF course. There is more to riding a motorcycle than knowing how to shift, control the throttle, negotiate through turns, ect... MSF is a good idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

I found it ironic when I was taking the MSF course one of the instructors was a retired police officer who had ridden a motorcycle on and off the force for over 40 years. This was his first year teaching, and the other instructor was a woman who had been teaching/riding for almost 20 years.

The retired police officer had all sorts of bad habits he couldn't break, they were very obvious when he was demonstrating a lot of the drills and the other instructor just kept shaking her head and telling us to not do what he's doing.

Goes to show you even if you're with an "experienced rider" who hasn't been in any accidents, once you start to form bad habits it's very hard to shake them...or even notice them for that matter.

Any bike in the 80's early 90's should be cheap to insure...I have an F2 and it's around $45 a month with a reduced speeding ticket and a collision at fault on my record.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: (leeminho86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leeminho86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any bike in the 80's early 90's should be cheap to insure...I have an F2 and it's around $45 a month with a reduced speeding ticket and a collision at fault on my record. </TD></TR></TABLE>

By cheap insurance, I mean CHEAP. Right now, I pay $85 a YEAR for liability on my 76' Yamaha XS500, and I'd like to keep it less than $150 or so.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I pay about $250 a year for full coverage, except medical.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

By cheap insurance, I mean CHEAP. Right now, I pay $85 a YEAR for liability on my 76' Yamaha XS500, and I'd like to keep it less than $150 or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy crap, you weren't kidding about being cheap. I'm also in NY what insurance company do you go through? I'm at geico...can't complain though since I'm only 21 with a crotch rocket...I've heard of some people paying up to $7 grand a year for an R1
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leeminho86)

I think you can probably insure an F2 or yzf600 for around $150 a year. My vote goes for an F2. There are tons of parts available, and they are very capable.

*edit* Try getting some rate quotes from some companies, seeing how the rates change for different bikes. Geico online will give you free quotes. They take a few minutes to fill out, but it's the best way to determine a general idea of your rates for a given bike.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatboy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you can probably insure an F2 or yzf600 for around $150 a year. My vote goes for an F2. There are tons of parts available, and they are very capable.

*edit* Try getting some rate quotes from some companies, seeing how the rates change for different bikes. Geico online will give you free quotes. They take a few minutes to fill out, but it's the best way to determine a general idea of your rates for a given bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

I only rode a "sportbike" for the first time last week, and I had a blast. The "sportbike" was a Ninja 250, that's right, a 250. Even so, it had much better top end and was much more stable than my XS500, which has twice the displacement (and twice the torque to be honest). I'd be all for getting a Ninja 250, except for a few points: no power AT ALL below 6k rpm, hell, my brother's '65 Honda S90 feels more torquey in the low end. Secondly, the stigma associated with riding a 250 (every undergrad rider on campus has one LOL) is just too much to bear.

What about the older Katanas? I hear they're less focused than the equivalent GSXRs, and that'd be good for me.

Modified by CivicWagonRUS at 1:10 PM 8/29/2007
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM

holy crap 7g's a year.... I have three speeding tickets and my insurance on my busa is only 670 a year liabilty or 2000 for full coverage....
Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only rode a "sportbike" for the first time last week, and I had a blast. The "sportbike" was a Ninja 250, that's right, a 250. Even so, it had much better top end and was much more stable than my XS500, which has twice the displacement (and twice the torque to be honest). I'd be all for getting a Ninja 250, except for a few points: no power AT ALL below 6k rpm, hell, my brother's '65 Honda S90 feels more torquey in the low end. Secondly, the stigma associated with riding a 250 (every undergrad rider on campus has one LOL) is just too much to bear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the MSF course one of the bikes avaliable was a Ninja 250. Since it had such a high powerband (compared to the other bikes) it was amazing to see how unstable it was riding through the training drills whereas the CB250s and GS250s didn't seem to have any problem at low speeds.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

I only rode a "sportbike" for the first time last week, and I had a blast. The "sportbike" was a Ninja 250, that's right, a 250. Even so, it had much better top end and was much more stable than my XS500, which has twice the displacement (and twice the torque to be honest). I'd be all for getting a Ninja 250, except for a few points: no power AT ALL below 6k rpm, hell, my brother's '65 Honda S90 feels more torquey in the low end. Secondly, the stigma associated with riding a 250 (every undergrad rider on campus has one LOL) is just too much to bear.

What about the older Katanas? I hear they're less focused than the equivalent GSXRs, and that'd be good for me.

Modified by CivicWagonRUS at 1:10 PM 8/29/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>I found the kantanas to be pretty heavy, or maybe I am just weak. I would look in to a GS500 they are pretty damn cheap and awesome bikes
Old 09-01-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: (BlkCB550SC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlkCB550SC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In the MSF course one of the bikes avaliable was a Ninja 250. Since it had such a high powerband (compared to the other bikes) it was amazing to see how unstable it was riding through the training drills whereas the CB250s and GS250s didn't seem to have any problem at low speeds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I noticed that as well, it's pretty unstable at low speeds and when riding through parking lots and such. However, once on the open road, especially noticeable starting at around 50mph the steering is unwavering. I'm guessing it's due to the fairing and the good aerodynamics, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">newer bikes, since they switched from an old school, easy to fix, cheap to replace points system to "black box" electronic, transistorized ignition, which is much more expensive to replace.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That happened in the 70's

The old CBR's are great, probably needs a carb cleaning if its been sitting.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: '87 CBR600 F1 or other suggestions? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That happened in the 70's

The old CBR's are great, probably needs a carb cleaning if its been sitting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, that's a really nice CB400F in your sig, my dad's friend has 2, they're fantastic bikes.