Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed?

I asked this question a few months back, but there was really no straight answer. I am going to put a set of HX rims on my 08 Fit and am unsure about the TPMS sensors.

For those with aftermarket rims on their 08 Fit, who installed the rims and tires with the stock TPMS sensors?

If I install the rims and tires without the TPS, will I get the TPMS light to come on?

Modified by BudgetFitting at 6:05 AM 9/5/2008
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed? (BudgetFitting)

what i did on my lexus, i put all four tpms sensors on my spare tire and no light has turned on....yea but if u dont install it ur tpms light will turn on. also u cant do this trick on a BMW or Mercedes cuz their TPMS are hard to trick.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed? (FoShoei)

I don't think you could use this method on the Fit. Don't the Lexus TPMS sensors attach to the inside of the wheel? Where the Fit sensors are attached via valve stem... I don't think the light would come on, I had a nail in one of my tires so I pulled the tire and drove on the donut to work for the day with no light.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed? (typerlegend)

I know it takes about 30 miles to come on, so that might have been the issue when you got the nail in the tire.

I know some TPMS will not register a low tire if both front or both back tires are low, so I figured along that same logic; if no sensor is there on all tires there should be no problem. This has worked for some people with other cars, but I am not sure about a Fit.

My other option is to install the sensors in the rims and hope they work, though I doubt they will. I think if I put the sensors in the HX rims the light will come on for sure.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BudgetFitting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think if I put the sensors in the HX rims the light will come on for sure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what makes you think this? My Fit was no equipped w/ the TPMS but other vehicles I have dealt w/ (350z and S2000) I have seen the TPMS sensors moved to aftermarket wheels and they work just fine. The Nissan ones are part of the valve stem inside the wheel. I don't know how the Fits are setup.

I would think they would work just fine in the HX wheels and that if you did not install them you will have errors indicated in the instrument panel.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My SSR dont have the TPMS in them and the little light came on about 30miles or so later. No big deal.

You could always use electric tape to cover the light
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CamoTrav)

They should fit the HX rims, hopefully with little to no modification. I suppose that could've been my problem, I had the tire off the car and I live 6 miles from work. The Fit TPMS is the valve stem style sensor.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed? (SuzukaBlueAP2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuzukaBlueAP2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what makes you think this? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently the angle of how the sensor mounts is wrong, so the sensor does not work properly and the TPMS light comes on. This is based on what I have read off other forums.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Will TPMS light come on if sensors not installed? (typerlegend)

my lexus is350 has Valve stem type TPMS...works fine with aftermarket rims with TPMS not installed in them but all four in my spare tire....
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM

I got a set of HFP wheels for my base fit. and after i got them on, i got that exclamation point light(!). than i stopped worrying it and one day i noticed the exclamation light was off and the TPMS light was on. and it still is
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the TPMS moved from my stock wheels to my Track-Rs, no problems yet.

But from what I've heard, the light WILL turn on if the sensors aren't in place. I just wonder if there's any way to trick the system...
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just ordered the 07 hfp wheels... I was gonna try and buy new ones for the new wheels.
my odyssey tires register within a few hundred feet.. the older bimmers and lexus.. like my old one mesured the wheel roatation vs each other tires x distance. I dont know how these really work. The Oddy can actually tell you psi..