Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Synthetic Oil or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil or not

I'm getting ready for my first oil change and thinking about going to mobil 1 for longer engine life and quieter engine noise. It only costs 6.99 a quart, but claims it will last up to 10,000 miles. But I would dump it at 5,ooo. Anybody have an opinion on the synthetics ?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (Nice Fit)

If you're planning on using 5,000 mile change intervals, just stick with a quality conventional oil. Your engine will last very long and run just fine without the need for a synthetic.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM

I'd go with Penzoil Platinum 5w20. I just ran that in my Fit for 5800 miles, and got the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs.

It shows EXCELLENT protection from the PP 5w20. Si and iron are high, but the engine only had 5000 miles on it when this oil went in. I'm following the maintenance minder faithfully, and it appears that there's a ton of life left in the oil (TBN of 5.1 remaining). Over the life of your car, the oil is a pretty small expenditure, why not buy the best?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (Nice Fit)

i know i drive my car pretty hard and mobil 1 syn is proven. im staying with that. if you don't drive yours that hard and change the oil every 5g, ur probably ok tho. i used to change my oil at 3g but even driving my fit hard im going 6g b4 it goes to 15%. i figure the engineers at honda know what they are doing.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

regular oil is fine. I would not run synthetic so soon anyways. After10k maybe.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (rivergod56)

When my 1st oil change is ready I'll be using M1 or RP 5w-20.. whichever is readily available at the moment.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 AM

i change my oil every 3k miles on all my cars. i dont know about this "oil life" display on the cars, looks more like a dealer spiff to get you back in there, than its actual quality reading.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (louie3252)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivergod56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know i drive my car pretty hard and mobil 1 syn is proven. im staying with that. if you don't drive yours that hard and change the oil every 5g, ur probably ok tho. i used to change my oil at 3g but even driving my fit hard im going 6g b4 it goes to 15%. i figure the engineers at honda know what they are doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i drive the same...not all the time, but i push whatever it is that i get from that little 1.5 liter...i change every 3500 miles...free changes for me, benefits from working at a dealer
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're planning on using 5,000 mile change intervals, just stick with a quality conventional oil. Your engine will last very long and run just fine without the need for a synthetic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never heard of an engine failure due to the type of oil someone was using. As long as the intervals are kept at &lt;5,000 on conventional, you're fine. Quoting Spoon's president, "oil is not wine, don't spend more money on it than you have to. Just use what Honda recommends."
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (p nut)

I use royal purple and I have no complaints. I did switch to synthetic after 10K miles though. If not going with the synthetic, I always used the recommended oil from the honda dealership. They always have the best of everything when it comes to maintenance
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (fitfreak3)

I use Quaker State Full Synthetic. The Horsepower and Advance ones are really good. Try it. Mobil 1 are great, but I didn't feel as much power as the Quaker State.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (The-Kid)

i change my oil every 3k miles on all my cars. i dont know about this "oil life" display on the cars, looks more like a dealer spiff to get you back in there, than its actual quality reading

how would this be a ploy to get you in the dealership more? I bet the guy's at Honda said "hey if we put in an oil analysis function and show people that they can go a whole hell of a lot more than 3-5k between oil changes we can get them back in the svc dept more"

what kind of sense does that make?

I seriously think the oil companies making up the BS crap about 3k oil changes is one of the greatest marketing ploys ever deisgned, even better than Phillip Morris. Biggest load of crap that soooooo many people swear by. Hell even with oil analysis computers that read the damn oil and tell you that it's more than fine people still think they need to change it every 3-5k. I almost would like to see dino oil go up to $10/qt just to see if people would still dump it every 3k
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

I'll change my oil when my honda tells me to...
No sense in wasting natural resources and money every 3k.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (The-Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use Quaker State Full Synthetic. The Horsepower and Advance ones are really good. Try it. Mobil 1 are great, but I didn't feel as much power as the Quaker State.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those oils are fine, but if you think you're feeling a difference in power among them, your "butt dyno" is deceiving you. If you want to select an oil, I'd recommend doing so based upon its various properties and/or your own personal UOA results, not how much power you believe you can feel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeremyL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seriously think the oil companies making up the BS crap about 3k oil changes is one of the greatest marketing ploys ever deisgned, even better than Phillip Morris. Biggest load of crap that soooooo many people swear by. Hell even with oil analysis computers that read the damn oil and tell you that it's more than fine people still think they need to change it every 3-5k. I almost would like to see dino oil go up to $10/qt just to see if people would still dump it every 3k</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be fair, it's not so much a marketing ploy as simply outdated information. Years ago, oils were not of the same quality as those available to us now, and changing them frequently was indeed a necessity. As oils improved, this "3,000 mile interval" stayed ingrained in people's minds, and was passed down from one generation to the next, or from older mechanics to younger ones. The fact is, such intervals are no longer necessary for most cars using even conventional modern oils, and are downright excessive when using high-end synthetics.

If anyone is concerned about their engine's longevity using extended intervals, send the oil off for a UOA, and you'll likely see that the oil is still protecting fine, well past 3,000 miles.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If anyone is concerned about their engine's longevity using extended intervals, send the oil off for a UOA, and you'll likely see that the oil is still protecting fine, well past 3,000 miles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Blackstone Labs is who I use. ~$20
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Synthetic Oil or not (p nut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Blackstone Labs is who I use. ~$20</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they seem to be one of the more popular labs among the BITOG crowd.