Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Input shaft bearing going out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input shaft bearing going out

Hi All,
In the same situation with my Noisy as Hell engine (2003 Jazz, 140,000km). Ive taken it to a few mechanics who all have their own theories but it is likely the infamous input shaft bearing....
As the problem only started 2,000 km ago - I assume it is ok to keep driving for a bit (as per other posters) without too much risk to myself? (Potentially just wrecking the transmission).

Does anyone have a reliable estimate of the time it would take a decent mechanic to replace the input shaft and mainshaft bearings? As one other poster mentioned, it might be worth replacing the clutch at the same time (only $270 for a kit). As the incremental labour will not be so much due to all of the work involved in getting to the gear box (though the clutch should be fine until 200,000). Please forgive a dumb question, but the input shaft bearing is not included in the clutch kit, right?

It's painful to be spending $1,000 on a car which is probably worth $2,000!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Input shaft bearing going out

Nope no bearing except sometimes a throwout bearing is included in a clutch kit. Unless that is what you are trying to refer too. There are 3 bearings involved with clutch action. First in the end of the crankshaft in the center of the flywheel its the pilot bearing which hardly ever wears out mainly because it's really not a bearing but a bushing. Then the one I think you may be talking about is the throwout bearing which rides on the transmission input shaft and is in use every time you step on the clutch pedal even a little bit and is the one that most frequently fails. Then inside the transmission is another that supports the gear train as it exits the transmission which again hardly ever fails because it is constantly bathed in transmission fluid.

Yes definitely change the clutch disc and plate with that many miles and check the flywheel engagement surface for checking and or cracking and resurface or replace as required. you would kick yourself hard in the butt if you didn't change them at the same time and it fails a few hundred or thousand miles down the road and you have to pay for pulling the transmission TWICE.