Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Got rear Ended and now CEL is on

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Got rear Ended and now CEL is on

so here is the story.

about three hours ago i left my parents house to go home. i came to a signal that was completely out and officers were laying flares. so i came to a stop and waited to be directed only for about 3 or 5 seconds until i got rear ended by a 18 year old girl in a Deawoo.

the accident left half my bumper hanging on the ground, put a small dent in my hatch, ripped my rear exhaust rubber hangers leaving my exhaust hanging and the tip messed up from impact. we pulled off and because the officers were there right away they helped exchange insurance. while i waited i took off my bumper and put it in the car and re mounted my exhaust.

when i left i decided to go back to my parents house to let them know what happened and to have dinner. on the drive home i could hear a different noise coming from my exhaust, it kinda sounded like a exhaust leak; but no CEL came on. When i left again about half way home my CEL came on while i was on the freeway.

my car is slightly modded, as far as my exhaust system goes i have a Meagan Header, T1R test pipe and a straight pipe to an Aspec ITB muffler. Im not sure why the CEL turned on im worried that the impact accident on the muffler put strain on the head of the motor or maybe its the O2 sensor from the test pipe.

does anyone have any ideas?

also when i turn my car in for repairs should i be worried about the replacing my aftermarket exhaust system for stock? or having a test pipe instead of a cat? (i am in California)

thanks a lot for any input.
-dane
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Got rear Ended and now CEL is on

Check your gas cap first of all. Being hit that hard may have turned it enough to catch a MIL.

ps it's no longer a CEL (check engine light) it's now a MIL (malfunction indicator light) because the computer now monitors a lot of functions not just check engine like in old cars.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the engine???

a hit like that could bend some exhaust stuff and could throw your O2 sensor off.. or something else for that matter.. DAEWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by claymore
Check your gas cap first of all. Being hit that hard may have turned it enough to catch a MIL.

ps it's no longer a CEL (check engine light) it's now a MIL (malfunction indicator light) because the computer now monitors a lot of functions not just check engine like in old cars.
thanks. ill check it but im pretty sure that's not the reason because it dosnt say "fuel cap" on the mileage indicator like it has before.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
did you check the engine???

a hit like that could bend some exhaust stuff and could throw your O2 sensor off.. or something else for that matter.. DAEWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
i havent yet because its been raining here and it night so i really didnt want to crawl under my car with a flash light.

i will keep this updated.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when are you going to take it to a body shop to get the estimates for your insurance? You don't want to fix anything yourself and then take it in. Take the car to get an estimate; they should look at everything including the fact that the MIL is on.

I don't know what they'll say about you having a test pipe instead of a cat. If there is damage to it you can probably be assured they will put a cat on there if it needs it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM

well i re-screwed on the gas cap went for a quick drive and the MIL is still on. is there any way to check the MIL like in the old EGs you could stick a paper clip in a certain plug and make a CEL blink and the pattern would say what it was. or do i have to have a scan gauge.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuzukaBlueAP2
when are you going to take it to a body shop to get the estimates for your insurance? You don't want to fix anything yourself and then take it in. Take the car to get an estimate; they should look at everything including the fact that the MIL is on.

I don't know what they'll say about you having a test pipe instead of a cat. If there is damage to it you can probably be assured they will put a cat on there if it needs it.
i just talked and gave all the information to my agent i still have to meet with an adjuster. i don't want to fix it i was just wondering why the MIL could be on.

the only thing im really worried about is if they have to replace any exhaust parts, is not getting them back.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u talk to the shop thats doing the repair, they should give u ur old exaust stuff back,
Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NSfit
well i re-screwed on the gas cap went for a quick drive and the MIL is still on. is there any way to check the MIL like in the old EGs you could stick a paper clip in a certain plug and make a CEL blink and the pattern would say what it was. or do i have to have a scan gauge.
You must use an OBD-II scanner.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a OBD II scanner , If you have a autozone by you they will scan it for free , But I bet your O2 sensor got broke off or the wires pulled out , also there is alot of evap emissions stuff in the rear of the car so ther could be something broken there also, I work for honda and see the undersides of these fits all the time , lol
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM

damn stupid girl... that sucks about the fit man... check your exhaust and make sure nothing is loose.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Update: towing is picking my car up tomorrow to take it to Solesbee Auto Crafts. ill take pictures of the damage too before they take the car.

edit: im bummed out too because i just recived my j's racing lip today in the mail and i wont even be able to put it on. and the j's grill comes in like 2 days