Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Custom CAI issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom CAI issues

Hey everyone. I want to start off by saying that this is day two with my new 2012 Honda Fit. It reminds me a lot of the old '86 CRX Si I used to have when I was a teenager. I love it =]

SO... I put together a custom intake, got it in the engine bay, everything sealed up nice and tight, everything was clean. I go to start my Fit and she starts right up without a problem. It'll run for about 5 seconds, then the idle will drop, and it'll stall out. No CEL, no warning lights. I checked to make sure everything was tight and nothing was missing, started her up again, same end result. Put the stock air box back on, car runs great, No CEL, no warning lights.

My best guesses as to why it's doing this are: Maybe the MAF (IAT whatever you new honda guys call it now) is reading too much air coming in compared to what the stock air box was allowing; or the little port on the side of the sensor is facing the wrong direction.

When installed, that little port was facing towards the throttle body. Looking at its placement in the stock air box, I didn't think it mattered all too much which direction the air flowed across it, but maybe I'm wrong. I didn't try flipping the the sensor around, because if that WASN'T the issue, I didn't want to do any damage.

The "port" I'm talking about is boxed off in red.

The "port" I'm talking about is boxed off in red.

lol the blue painters' tape was just there to hold the sensor in place while the silicone I was using to seal the sensor into the intake tubing dried.

lol the blue painters' tape was just there to hold the sensor in place while the silicone I was using to seal the sensor into the intake tubing dried.

Anybody got any advice or suggestions?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Custom CAI issues

Perhaps the general voulme of air in the location the MAF is doesn't relate closely enough to that of the stock air box, and it is causing the sensor to inaccurately calculate the flow?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Custom CAI issues

Originally Posted by solbrothers
lol you got ripped a new ******* on ff.net and decided to come here?
He posted his crap on honda-tech, fitfreak, and HFF all at the same time (and didn't have enough sense to remove this post before it got him even more negative attention). A slow learner.