Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM
stf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (dbrd)

since the fit base runs on 14's and the sort on 15's it couldn't be that hard to calibrate for 16's without the super expensive low profile tire. ? hum ?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (stf)

if taller tires increase mileage which i doubt, why do guys with 4 wheel drives bitch about fuel mileage after bigger mud tires?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (adamrich33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if taller tires increase mileage which i doubt, why do guys with 4 wheel drives bitch about fuel mileage after bigger mud tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The reason they get bad gas milage is due to the v8 that is usually powering the truck, and not a whole lot can be done about that.

If you read all that I posted, heavy wheels take more energy to get moving. Huge 44" mudders will weigh a lot, thus taking more engery to get moving, thus wasting more gas.

Bigger circumference tires basically act as if the gears are longer, thus keeping down the rpms. Obviously if you make the tire too big, it will weigh too much and it will be counter productive to the goal of maximizing mpg.

Whether you doubt it or not, tire size will effect mpg .
Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 AM

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (adamrich33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if taller tires increase mileage which i doubt, why do guys with 4 wheel drives bitch about fuel mileage after bigger mud tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto what Budgetfitting says. Plus, wider tires and lower tire pressure for better mudding. And driving through mud. Using lower gears to power through ever more challenging, highly viscous mud or loose sand is not the way to maximize your fuel mileage. I can't imagine that those drivers even consider the fuel mileage of their rigs.

Edit: Maybe those guys aren't bitching, but bragging about how bad their fuel mileage is?

Modified by dbrd at 6:52 AM 5/24/2008
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're not really supposed to "top off" your tank.

Also, the Fit gas tank is rated as 10.8 gallons.

"Topping off your gas tank after the pump automatically turns off can harm a vehicle emissions system that re-burns fuel vapors. The pump at your local gas station is designed to turn off when the fuel reaches a certain level, leaving room in the tank that is needed for the emissions system to operate correctly.

When that air dome is reduced from topping off your tank after the pump automatically clicks off, raw gasoline can enter one of the system's important components that's only supposed to carry vapors: the carbon filter — also called the charcoal canister.

When raw gasoline enters the canister/filter, it can spill on the ground (meaning it'€™s not going into your engine — both a waste of gasoline and an environmental no-no) and it can disrupt engine operation, causing bad mileage, poor emissions and overall decreased engine performance. An Automotive Service Excellence representative we talked with says except for rounding to the nearest dime, never fill the fuel tank once the automatic shutoff clicks at the gas pump."
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW GREAT INFO EL

i never knew that and now by knowing it i wont do it again......

well i "topped off" my tank this weekend and right now im at a lil over a half a tank and have gone 195.4 miles so far.....

Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM

i have a 08 auto but i get like the 29 mpg but its hard to get the highway miles in hawaii cause its more like city all over the place. i installed the sun auto eco didnt make any differance in my miles only my electronics got a but better. -_-. but any other ways might help out?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (enjoito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enjoito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 08 auto but i get like the 29 mpg but its hard to get the highway miles in hawaii cause its more like city all over the place. i installed the sun auto eco didnt make any differance in my miles only my electronics got a but better. -_-. but any other ways might help out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No advice that hasn't been mentioned before, I think. Bump your tire pressure up a bit. Do you have the sport? If so, use the paddle shifters to move up through the gears faster, keeping the rpm's down.
An automatic is a little less efficient than a manual, but on the other hand, the auto is geared a little higher, so that would work in your favor at highway speeds. I guess that doesn't help you much in Hawaii.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (BudgetFitting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BudgetFitting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[

Whether you agree or not, when the A/C is on it creates added drag on the engine. It would be like saying that driving up a slight hill for a considerable amount of time would not effect gas milage. The numbers you listed do show a difference, and it is tough to be measured accurately unless all other variables are kept constant.

I was not saying that the A/C is a HUGE contributing factor to mpg, but lowering A/C usage will increase gas milage; and when coupled with other gas saving techniques it will help produce the best mpg. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I commented earlier that I turned my AC on in May and probably would not turn it off again until October. Last summer I did turn the AC on and left it on. At night it sometimes got too cool, and I would temper it by turning the heat on a little. This preserved the de-fogging benefit.

I began to think about the BudgetFitting post quoted above and decided to try something different this year. In the daytime, in the sun, it takes all the little AC can do to keep the temperature comfortable. But at night, instead of tempering the AC with some heat, I have been cycling the compressor off using the AC button. When the temperature gets too warm, or when the windows begin to fog, I push the button and turn it on again. Usually this is 1 or 2 minutes on, 5 to 10 minutes off.

So far I have driven 3 tanks of gas doing this, and gained about 2 mpg, to a little over 40 mpg. That is about a 5% increase, without sacrificing comfort.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (dbrd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been cycling the compressor off using the AC button. When the temperature gets too warm, or when the windows begin to fog, I push the button and turn it on again. Usually this is 1 or 2 minutes on, 5 to 10 minutes off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If and when I use the AC, that is the same thing I do. It never gets too hot in costal SoCal, so that works to my advantage in terms of reliance on the AC.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 PM

yes i do have a sport ive been driving with the shifters i got like 30 mpg. my tire pressure is like 31 ish. hmm yea thanks for the help if i find something let u people know
Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 AM

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (enjoito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enjoito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes i do have a sport ive been driving with the shifters i got like 30 mpg. my tire pressure is like 31 ish. hmm yea thanks for the help if i find something let u people know</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll gain a little right there. Honda recommends 32 psi. I run 40; extra pressure within reason increases mileage as discussed before.

I'm curious what rpm range you are trying to shift in?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well over the weekend i finished that tank i was seeing my milage on and......

34 mpg is the average
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (eL)

Good morning El
This is my best tank so far.
Honda Fit 2008 - 5 speed Manual Sport
Scan Guage 2

52.6 Mpg
7.15 gallons used so far
376 miles driven
60 percent interstate / 40 percent City/Country
95 degree High temperatures
WITH AC running on interstate
Fresh oil change
Birmingham Alabama

It looks like I get better mpg when I use fresh air with windows open. Takes off some of the pressure from the air dam in front I guess. I havent nailed any strict research on that yet but it makes sense.

Thanks
Kunipsun Fit
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (KunipshunFit)

Thats BS, i got 42 mpg at 70mph straight interstate driving with no stops, going through georgia i75 last week
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KunipshunFit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
52.6 Mpg
7.15 gallons used so far
376 miles driven
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am calling BS unless you can tell us how you did this. Was it 200 miles of coasting downhill with the engine off?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KunipshunFit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honda Fit 2008 - 5 speed Manual Sport
Scan Guage 2

52.6 Mpg
7.15 gallons used so far
376 miles driven
60 percent interstate / 40 percent City/Country
95 degree High temperatures
WITH AC running on interstate
Fresh oil change
Birmingham Alabama

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a little skeptical also. You mention a Scan Guage 2. Is the mileage you state what was indicated on the Scan Guage device, or was it calculated from miles driven divided by gallons of gas actually put into the tank?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just finished another tank off today....with not topping off lol
368.5 miles on the tank

368.5 into 10.8 = 34.12 MPG

and i was driving normal....last tank i tried to drive slow lol
WITH A/C on blast cuz its been like 100 the past few days up here in the northeast
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM

I just calls it like I sees it.
The way I drive is as much coasting as possible.
Just enough speed to keep the Vortec engaged on flat interstate...someone said just above 3,000 RPMs.
And again I can not recommend a Scan Gauge Highly enough to everyone.
Mileage Cross checked to Odometer.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 AM

Default Re: (KunipshunFit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KunipshunFit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just calls it like I sees it.
The way I drive is as much coasting as possible.
Just enough speed to keep the Vortec engaged on flat interstate...someone said just above 3,000 RPMs.
And again I can not recommend a Scan Gauge Highly enough to everyone.
Mileage Cross checked to Odometer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgive me if I remain skeptical, but your quoted mpg is 20 - 25% greater than others utilizing the same high fuel mileage techniques. So I have a few questions that address some variables that may effect actual and/or calculated mpg.

Are you driving on factory tires and wheels? At 60 mph, what is your rpm?

You indicate the Scanguage mileage agrees with the odometer. What about the gallons used indicated on the Scanguage compared to the actual gallons that you pump to fill up? My son's Civic hybrid mileage calculation is off by approximately 8%, and it is a factory device. It is good to help you improve driving techniques, but you still need to keep your fuel receipts and write down the mileage. For better accuracy, average mileage and gallons used over several tanks.

After you mentioned it, I did look up the Scanguage 2, and I agree it sounds intriguing. May get one myself, but I would not accept its indicated mpg without double checking. Thanks

Edit: to clarify, the Civic hybrid's "mpg" calculation is off by approx. 8%.

Modified by dbrd at 5:53 AM 6/17/2008
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 AM

dbrd, and others... No problem
My icon still says noob for a reason. I just back back from a 600 + mile trip and Scan Gauge says I got 43 or so per gallon but it was a work trip and I could not concentrate on MPGs. I will get back with details later on fill up info, odometer readings and such. So far all my earlier research was spot on. I do not want to muddy the waters of information here at all. Onoe thing I do is drive by MPG not MPH. When coming up on a hill I will hopefully have momentum to carry me in such a way that I can back off of the gas the whole way up the hill till I crest and then start accellerating on the downhill.
I have seen the problems with the readings being off as well with the scan guage. I willl start logging again for a bit.
Factory Wheels and Tires - 15"
Not sure about the RPM at 60 I will check later for you.
Yes sir I do have some big claims out there I guess, and I hope I find it all still true under closer scrutiny.
I got fairly OCD about the whole thing for a while and now I sorta just roll with it and do quick math on it.
Honestly its a bit of a let down I was hoping the fit would get 50 mpg with out any Fred Flintstone type help. LOL.
Be back with logged info in time. My weekly commute averages 400-600 miles so it should not be long.
So much for the "Quick Reply" LOL
Thank you
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't hate, my best is 55mpg and I am going for 60mpg now. You guys should check out cleammpg.com or fitfreak.net

Here is my chart so far:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index....=1110

There is a guy that just got 62mpg on cleanmpg.com.

Drive under the speed limit, FAS, Draft and P&G. Don't forget to inflate those tires to 50psi.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Awesome Job Sahwn, I was looking last wek for a bit at who was in the hunt at CleanMPG. I am looking for my first 60 mpg tank too. Thank you for the back up.
Gravity Works, Might as well use it.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KunipshunFit)

so hows gravity doing for you when up hill. lol you cant always coast down hill you gotta go up sometime
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 AM

Default Re: (Sahwn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't hate, my best is 55mpg and I am going for 60mpg now. You guys should check out cleammpg.com or fitfreak.net

Here is my chart so far:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index....=1110

There is a guy that just got 62mpg on cleanmpg.com.

Drive under the speed limit, FAS, Draft and P&G. Don't forget to inflate those tires to 50psi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was intrigued and checked out cleanmpg.com. They have a prominently placed discussion of hyper-mileing techniques here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums...=1510

Some techniques advocated are both illegal and dangerous, ie: shutting off the engine at highway speed, disabling the power steering and brakes. Some are just dangerous: tire pressures in excess of the manufacturer's maximums. That might be ok if you never get off city streets, but I won't be doing that one, as I spend too much time on the Interstates.

Some of the ideas have merit. I am not averse to some judicious drafting, for instance. I even indulge in pulse and glide driving when traffic allows, but without shutting off the engine.

I think auto shut off at a stop, such as hybrids have, will become standard on internal combustion autos in the next few years. Maybe tire manufacturers will pay attention and make tires rated for the pressures needed for better mileage. Bicycles routinely use 120 lbs (well, road bikes like I ride do). You get better fuel economy using higher pressures with bikes as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hills blow *** and I encounter lots of hills on my daily commute. Here is an update for this tank so far:

Todays updates:

Driving 40-45mph in a 60mph zone is killing me, I know It must be driving people crazy around me. I will not go this extreme next time, I will more than likely just drive the speed limit using CC.

Quick Reply: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)