Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine?

I was wondering will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine? I just got this CRV a week ago and Im thinking on doing a oil change on it this week.... but I was wondering will it be a good idea to go from Non-Synthetic engine oil to Fully Synthetic engine oil? The CRV has 126,1xx miles on it
Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine?

Der is no problem with synthetic I run torco 5w-40 sr-1 race oil in my b16 turbo ef with no problems just make sure if u go synthetic keep changing with sythetic dont b jumping bac and forth
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 126,000 miles, if the engine has been run with conventional oil up until this point, I would recommend sticking with a quality conventional changed at appropriate intervals.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oils oil it wont have much of a differents
Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: Will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine?

Once u go syn u can't go back.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Padawan
At 126,000 miles, if the engine has been run with conventional oil up until this point, I would recommend sticking with a quality conventional changed at appropriate intervals.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyD
+2

Also, the oil marketed in N/A as full synthetic is generally group 3 blends. True full synthetic oil is group 4 and it costs at the minimum $15 a quart.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by juba_x
oils oil it wont have much of a differents
Synthetic tends to hold up a lot better when there are extreme temperature differences. It's especially great if you live in a climate where it regularly gets a lot colder than freezing. When it's -40 conventional oil tends to get pretty thick.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm.boi408
I was wondering will fully synthetic engine oil damage my CRV's engine? I just got this CRV a week ago and Im thinking on doing a oil change on it this week.... but I was wondering will it be a good idea to go from Non-Synthetic engine oil to Fully Synthetic engine oil? The CRV has 126,1xx miles on it
It won't damage anything. For all you know, it might already have synthetic in it.

However, be aware that some types of synthetic oil tend to burn off at a much faster rate than comparable convetional oils - so make sure that you check the oil level on a regular basis.

I cannot stress how important it is to check the oil level at least once every 1000 miles, especially on a vehicle that you're unfamiliar with. Even if the engine doesn't appear to burn any oil initially, the level in the sump can start to drop suddenly after a few thousand miles when the oil begins to break down due to use. Once the level starts to drop below the required amount, oil consumption will accelerate and you can quickly end up with an empty engine. On '02+ K-series CR-Vs, this will cause problems with the VTEC system and with the timing chain tensioner, which can lead to poor running, chain skipping, and even bent valves.

Originally Posted by dc5itracer
make sure if u go synthetic keep changing with sythetic dont b jumping bac and forth
There is no problem with changing from synthetic to conventional oil and back again.

Originally Posted by Padawan
Pretty much.

I generally don't recommend synthetics due to expense, unless the oil is seeing extreme conditions (240*F+ oil temps due to constant hard use or forced induction, -10*F oil temps or below on cold starts), or the owner is racking up a large amount of miles on the vehicle in a short time - extended drain intervals allowed by synthetics can save time and money when servicing a vehicle that is driven 20,000+ miles per year.

Originally Posted by KillerChronic
Once u go syn u can't go back.
Why not?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you will be fine i prefer Amsoil. And once you start syn you cant go back
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're planning to go with Synthetic motor oil, I would prefer you to use Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage. The reason is because with higher mileage motor, they tend to burn oil faster and especially synthetic because they're a whole lot thinner than conventional motor oil. Here is a link for the Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic high mileage and this is the oil that I am using in my car.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...age_5W-30.aspx
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the oil already and I used Mobile 1 synthetic oil and K&N synthetic oil filter and nothing went wrong.... I was freaked out at first b/c people told me that it might ruin my engine but Im glad it didnt
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm on both sides! But i run synthetic for the mileage intervals and it takes extreme temps for even group 3 blends.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those saying that "once you go syn you can't go back" are full of ****. You can switch back and forth as much as you want it won't degrade anything or cause any issues. However, putting synthetic oil into a car with high mileage that has been changed with conventional or has deposit's on the seal's/gasket's can cause leak's. I would just stick to conventional oil for your CRV, it doesn't require synthetic and if extreme heat/cold is present than use a thinner/thicker oil.