Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Propeller Shaft? '98 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller Shaft? '98 CRV

I'm working on this V that's been sitting in my yard for about 7 months. It appears it stopped working because the U-joint gave up and it snapped off from the transmission.

I need some help here... I just can't get off the rear shaft from the differential and the front shaft is snapped from the joint+transmission, any advice? I don't have a compressor, but if I did i'd surely would've tried using an impact gun already if I did; I just got a 10mm wrench and my bare hands.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Propeller Shaft? '98 CRV

Stick another wrench one the end of your current wrench to give you more leverage. Be careful that it doesn't snap back and get you in the eye. Lol
Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't work sadly, the shaft just kept turning and turning on me even with additional leverage. Plus, there's a ridiculous amount of mosquitoes so I wasn't too patient to be under there.

edit: i went back out and the rear u joint looks like it's going out, too... So would it be easier to just knock the rear shaft out from its joint and just drive the V with both broken u-joints still connected to the tranny+differential?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those ujoints arent like regular u joints. Cant just drive em out. if your problem is its turning, get a long skinny pry bar and shove it in there to stop the shaft from turning.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get some type of bar thru the joint...(long one) that way it wont turn on you

or hold the other bolt with another 10mm...so you can stop it from turning...
give the bolt a little tap with a hammer
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LDForget
those ujoints arent like regular u joints. Cant just drive em out. if your problem is its turning, get a long skinny pry bar and shove it in there to stop the shaft from turning.

The one thing I didn't think about, why am I so out of it. I shall try that tomorrow, thanks.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671

The one thing I didn't think about, why am I so out of it. I shall try that tomorrow, thanks.
Np. Reply back with results. If theres no damage to the v other than the u joint, theres a website that sells just the joints. Otherwise you have to change the whole prop shaft (900$+++ just for the part).

Part number : 430-9B

How to change : http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Sta...structions.htm
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ARMED
get some type of bar thru the joint...(long one) that way it wont turn on you

or hold the other bolt with another 10mm...so you can stop it from turning...
give the bolt a little tap with a hammer
Yeah can't find another 10mm wrench unless I borrow one from a neighbor sadly.
I don't think i have enough room to hit it with a hammer under there, no jack or stands too, i'm on such a budget to get this V running again, aha.

Np. Reply back with results. If theres no damage to the v other than the u joint, theres a website that sells just the joints. Otherwise you have to change the whole prop shaft (900$+++ just for the part).

Part number : 430-9B

How to change : http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Sta...structions.htm
Yeah I heard about that and already have it bookmarked. Thanks a lot for the additional link though. I'm flat broke (i'm only 17) and using my whole next paycheck for the tune-up and miscellaneous parts for this V (estimated about $200 of parts + shipping from RockAuto) as well as my Civic. I'll post a build thread soon but it only consists of cleaning so far, not much of building anything because it's a basic fix up I think
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Being on a budget, I wouldn't bother with a "full" tuneup. Check the plugs for the quality of the electrodes, ohm out the spark plug wires, remove the cap to check for wear, ect. Most of the stuff your changing could be fine. For the time being its safe to run without the prop shaft, but for when the time comes the u joints are available for ya from the website. I'm assuming youre having some type of drivability issue and that's why you're doing the tune up? What issues are you having?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Being on a budget, I wouldn't bother with a "full" tuneup. Check the plugs for the quality of the electrodes, ohm out the spark plug wires, remove the cap to check for wear, ect. Most of the stuff your changing could be fine. For the time being its safe to run without the prop shaft, but for when the time comes the u joints are available for ya from the website. I'm assuming youre having some type of drivability issue and that's why you're doing the tune up? What issues are you having?
It was poorly maintained when my brother owned it and i don't know how well it ran before. When I mean poorly maintained, I really mean poorly maintained.
I'm going to need new spark plugs+wires and might as well get a new dizzy rotor+cap and brake pads so I have a fresh new set of service intervals I can jot down under my ownership.
Here it is in all its beauty.

Name:  6CIHm.png
Views: 59
Size:  589.3 KB
Name:  NXoaX.png
Views: 60
Size:  640.8 KB
Name:  CYmwz.png
Views: 61
Size:  739.7 KB
Name:  nt35E.png
Views: 59
Size:  321.5 KB
Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy Jesus. Where are you located? If shipping isn't too bad I can help you out with a lot of parts. I've got a full parts crv Sittin in my garage doin **** all lol.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy Jesus. Where are you located? If shipping isn't too bad I can help you out with a lot of parts. I've got a full parts crv Sittin in my garage doin **** all lol.
Guam! Ah I'd take you on that offer then; and if i need something i'll bring out the ol Paypal and contact you if that's alright?

Aha! It's heartbreaking isn't it!?. I pulled out so much from this CRV to my 99 Civic (interior parts, A/C components, and the Cluster too), until I stumbled upon this section a week ago did I gain the inspiration to work on the 'V.

Last edited by CO671; 07-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guam! Ah I'd take you on that offer then; and if i need something i'll bring out the ol Paypal and contact you if that's alright?

Aha! It's heartbreaking isn't it!?. I pulled out so much from this CRV to my 99 Civic (interior parts, A/C components, and the Cluster too), until I stumbled upon this section a week ago did I gain the inspiration to work on the 'V.
Guam eh. Im in Canada. Shipping might be the killer for ya. Either way pm me with stuff you need...and ill check the shipping prices and see if its worth it for you or not. Best of luck. Glad to hear you decided to save the V.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guam eh. Im in Canada. Shipping might be the killer for ya. Either way pm me with stuff you need...and ill check the shipping prices and see if its worth it for you or not. Best of luck. Glad to hear you decided to save the V.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, shipping must be like 35% the price of the item whichever it ends up as!

I tried getting it off again today... Can i just hammer out the shaft from the rear u-joint? It's going bad too, so basically both joints aren't worth recycling. (front is snapped, rear has too much play to be safe)
I don't think I have the tools here at home to get it off; or the muscle T_T. I do have an automotive course at my high school which I will be able to use air-tools and better tools + a lift.

Basically, i'm asking if it's safe to just take out the propeller shaft and drive with 2 broken joints connected (tranny+differential) and drive it until I can take the joints off at school.

Name:  epNxZ.png
Views: 58
Size:  182.0 KB
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wont harm anything, but itll make some racket. Did you double wrench it with a pry bar in there? like so :

Make sure your pry bar is stuck in there, and then prying against the body some how, that way you only have to hold onto one thing, and thats the wrenches.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wont harm anything, but itll make some racket. Did you double wrench it with a pry bar in there? like so :

Make sure your pry bar is stuck in there, and then prying against the body some how, that way you only have to hold onto one thing, and thats the wrenches.
Yeah I double wrenched it, even hammered the wrench a few times. Applied all that I learned in school T_T, no luck.

I couldn't find a place to put a bar other than the exhaust, which could've ended up cracking the piping.... which I don't want.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I double wrenched it, even hammered the wrench a few times. Applied all that I learned in school T_T, no luck.

I couldn't find a place to put a bar other than the exhaust, which could've ended up cracking the piping.... which I don't want.
Have access to an electric impact at least? ive got like 4 of them laying around. lol
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aha. since I couldn't get it anywhere on the body, I just grabbed some of those stock jack bars laying around and a lug-wrench and hammered them into the dirt. I can see the 03 Impreza WRX under its covers in the 2nd picture :3
Name:  2zSIS.png
Size:  352.7 KBName:  diw1C.png
Views: 58
Size:  389.3 KB

Finally, thread resolved! Thanks again LD
Name:  hy7za.png
Size:  398.7 KB

Last edited by CO671; 07-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet deal. Glad to see its out.