Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Perhaps an immobilizer problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perhaps an immobilizer problem ?

Hi Guys
I am a newbie with a starting problem..The crv is a MKl 2001,manual,96.000 miles.It has spark although a bit weak,fuel and it's cranking ok..The green key on the dash panel does not light or flash when turning the key,i thought perhaps the bulb was faulty but i have since tried another ecu and as i thought the green key comes on and flashes etc as it should.

Checked cambelt,valve clearances ,and done a compression test...all ok.

Any thoughts please.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Perhaps an immobilizer problem ?

We'll need more details on what you mean by "starting problem". When you turn the key, what happens besides the green key light not coming on? Also, you said it's cranking so do you mean you turn the key and it attempts to turnover but doesn't start?
Old 01-30-2016, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Hazzyy thanks for your reply..Ok so the engine cranks over fast enough to start but does not..I have fuel and i have a spark although a bit weak as orange and not blue.

What i am trying to find out is why the green key on the dash panel does not light or flash or anything when i first insert the and turn it to start the engine,i am thinking it should flash and go out when turning the key.. all the other dash lights light up as they should,the engine check light goes out too.
Like i said i tried another ecu and the green key flashed as it should as the key code would be incorrect..

Am i correct in thinking that the immobilizer cuts power to the fuel pump but still allows the engine to crank over ?
Old 08-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Antcrv
Hi Hazzyy thanks for your reply..Ok so the engine cranks over fast enough to start but does not..I have fuel and i have a spark although a bit weak as orange and not blue.

What i am trying to find out is why the green key on the dash panel does not light or flash or anything when i first insert the and turn it to start the engine,i am thinking it should flash and go out when turning the key.. all the other dash lights light up as they should,the engine check light goes out too.
Like i said i tried another ecu and the green key flashed as it should as the key code would be incorrect..

Am i correct in thinking that the immobilizer cuts power to the fuel pump but still allows the engine to crank over ?
I believe you are correct. With my 2001 civic, the immobilizer went out and I couldn't get spark or fuel. The green key was not lit. I took it to my dealer and got a new one and had it "flashed" to my key and ecu.