Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Overheating and exploding radiators on a 01 Crv AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating and exploding radiators on a 01 Crv AWD

I bought this car as an upgrade from my previous model CR-V at a good price. It has had a lot of issues since I bought it. The biggest issue is overheating. The paperwork suggests that the waterpump was replaced only 1 year before I bought. I have myself replaced the thermostat, temp sensor, and radiator and still am having the same issues.

When I have freshly poured in fluid, the car runs fine and I can sit in traffic all the live long day. For about 3 days. After about three days, once I sit idly for too long I start to heat up. I have to re-add fluid to the radiator, the fluid is going somewhere, but its not leaking. I heard a bad gasket could be the cause, but my oil isnt milky in color. Yesterday, the worst thing could have happened. The brand new radiator I just installed, EXPLODED on the top plastic part.

I need help. What could be the cause of this?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating and exploding radiators on a 01 Crv AWD

I feel like your new thermalstat is not functioning properly ...
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by M-benz
I feel like your new thermostat is not functioning properly ...
If the thermostat wasn't working the the bottom radiator line would be rigid instead of soft and pliable, the bottom hose is definitely pliable.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Are your electric fans cutting in?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UK-Kev
Are your electric fans cutting in?
Yes my fans are kicking on.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Suggest you pressure test / check the coolant system.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UK-Kev
Suggest you pressure test / check the coolant system.
I will be pressure testing the system. The cooling system so far as I can tell is working as everything mechanically is kicking appropriately, fans go on before it heats up, the thermostat is opening ( I know this because after some time driving the bottom line is hot and pliable ), the pump is moving fluid ( I know this because the other day I replaced my burst radiator I filled my system with plain water and green came out when the system was burping which indicates the valves are opening and it let out residual fluid ).

I replaced my Murray third party radiator that I originally bought 3 weeks ago with a Koyorad, which is supposed to be a better choice because its most like the OM specifications for my vehicle. My dad mentioned it could be a blown head gasket, which sometimes makes cars overheat apparently. I looked it up and there are ways to tell like milky oil and I dont see any indicators of that. Any input on that?

Thanks by the way for replying to my thread, I appreciate your help immensely.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I would check for exhaust gas in the coolant because of the overheating/explosion, and than check for any lines that are clogged.

1. radiator hoses
2. heater hoses
3 iacv hoses
4 heater core
5. thermostat not opening up
6. water pump

Those are all of the components that have coolant running through them
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I would check for exhaust gas in the coolant because of the overheating/explosion, and than check for any lines that are clogged.

1. radiator hoses
2. heater hoses
3 iacv hoses
4 heater core
5. thermostat not opening up
6. water pump

Those are all of the components that have coolant running through them

How do you check for exhaust gas in the coolant? None of the lines are clogged so far as I can tell because like mentioned previously to UK, the lines are hot and pliable, if they where clogged only a portion would be hot, the rest would cold. Additionally I would overheat much faster and regardless of traffic vs idle. Care to add in?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Sears.com

something similar
Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Trial User

Hello from Ankara Turkey

I have the same car like you Honda CrV 2001
since 3 years I changed three radiators and still have overheating problems .i was not a mechanic guru at all I did not understand nothing in cars mechanic but this continious overheating made me decide to do everything by myself even if I break the car .WEll first DIY repairs was and Tmhe engine light signal disapperaed but still it overheat s but after 30min of engine start.all new hoses radiator thermostat tights temp sensor no clogging whatsoever.but ı DOUBT SOMETHİNG İN THE HEATER CİRCUİT İT MAY BLOCK THE COOLANT ..thats what i will do check the heater .Heater radiator etc all are in the same water circuit so making the radiator explode means that somethin this circuit is highering the pressure if all new the heater part could be problem .mine is not heating well and never touched before I think i need to change the hoses there too and make cleaning .also I found oil leaking which new ot to coolant system but to the exhaust the Turkish repairman who do not understand english gave me the box of changed distributor plus 4 screws
of dimension 10 and they are long ..are identical to the engine screws.....I asked him from where you took this he told me no problem they are extra....that extra means that he made the engine leaks oil like olive oil and the underhood of the car looks like turkish kebab grill with alot of grease
if you want we can keep in touch and exchange ideas and experience about the car ....solidarity against the mafia repairmen..here is my facebook chawki malek and phone number if you use whatsapp 00905356155000
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Alpha_tech
I will be pressure testing the system. The cooling system so far as I can tell is working as everything mechanically is kicking appropriately, fans go on before it heats up, the thermostat is opening ( I know this because after some time driving the bottom line is hot and pliable ), the pump is moving fluid ( I know this because the other day I replaced my burst radiator I filled my system with plain water and green came out when the system was burping which indicates the valves are opening and it let out residual fluid ).

I replaced my Murray third party radiator that I originally bought 3 weeks ago with a Koyorad, which is supposed to be a better choice because its most like the OM specifications for my vehicle. My dad mentioned it could be a blown head gasket, which sometimes makes cars overheat apparently. I looked it up and there are ways to tell like milky oil and I dont see any indicators of that. Any input on that?

Thanks by the way for replying to my thread, I appreciate your help immensely.

Feel free to correct me if Im wrong but you could also have blown head gasket that is sucking coolant into the cylinder and burning before it could drain into the pan. In that case you should be seeing some (white?) smoke coming from your tail pipe. You could always pull your spark plugs and see if they smell like coolant? If the do you I think you might be able to do a compression test, if its letting coolant in it would let comoression out in theory? Again just guessing here anyone feel free to put me on the right path if ive said anything incorrect.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:21 AM
Trial User

Sounds like head gasket to me, also.