Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

New 5spd Gen 1 CR-V Owner & Proud Of It!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 5spd Gen 1 CR-V Owner & Proud Of It!

Hi Guys!

My name is Sean (last name is Free so that's what I typically go by) and I wanted to introduce myself! My wife and I purchased a Black 2-owner 1999 CR-V 5spd a couple of nights ago and are absolutely loving it! I come from a Muscle Car background primarily (96-98 Mustang GT's) but am getting more and more intrigued with AWD and 4WD capabilities the older & wiser I get. After spending countless hours scouring Craigslist high and low for the perfect 4wd rig that didn't break the bank - or cost an arm and a leg to own - it happened - I found the rig I had been looking for!

Does it seem like I am giddy like a little kid about this rig? You bet I am! The service history is amazing and a TON of money was just dumped into the car in the last 2ish years. The owners lived in a nice part of Portland, made me feel comfortable & were readily available and willing to help answer any questions I had on the history. They upgraded to a '14 Outback so their loss is, well - my gain!

Check out this nice lil' laundry list of items checked offincluding:

-Rebuilt & resurfaced cylinder head
-Exhaust seats
-Water pump/t-belt
-AC condenser
-Misc. belts & hoses
-Rear trailing arms
-Plugs & wires
-Distributor
-Catalytic converter
-Oil pan & valve cover gaskets
-Motor mounts
-Top & middle timing covers
-Front crankshaft seal
-PCV valve & grommet
-Thermostat & gasket
-Battery
-Kenwood head unit

I am really head over heels for this little thing, not because of 1 reason, but many. It's nimble, fun t o drive, economical, sporty, understated, classy (if done correctly) & will go cool places! Got some fun things planned before a trip to the mountain this week - check it out!

Tomorrow: General Grabber AT2's in size 215/75r15 go on. I really wanted the 225/70's but those were backordered and I am not the most patient person in the world,..they will work just fine . If I get done with my detail soon enough I will try to start the detail.

Wednesday:Complete interior deep clean/ozone to rid slight wet dog musk & because I have OCD and detail cars for a living. Rear cargo mat and 2 smaller carpeted mats that fold up onto rear seats are the culprits of the smell and have been removed for deep cleaning. I also hope to start the paint correction so I can get it Opti Coated berfore the mtn. on Thursday - Going to be a long next couple of days if I want to get this done!

Thursday: Early morning run to the mountain with my lady. This is try out the new tires mainly (shhh - she doesn't know that), how bad the suspension really is & finally - to feel the humility of falling time after time on the mtn. because you haven't been on a board in 12 years....wish me luck...

Near Future:
-Complete full audio & soundproof
-Bedline all of plastic bottom, side molding & bumpers black
-Re-tint windows (its pretty sad lol)
-OME lift springs w/new shocks
-Some kind of foglights/LED light bar
-Roof Basket
-Sway bars
-Black headlights
-Some kind of small power increase - tune?

I can't wait to get started learning every in and out of this machine with the help of you guys!

Free
Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New 5spd Gen 1 CR-V Owner & Proud Of It!

You described it perfectly how fun it is to own a Cr-v. The potential of it being lifted or lowered. Easy to drive and park. Resale value is good. I got a loaded low mileage Ridgeline. Guess what I drive often?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sipaboy
You described it perfectly how fun it is to own a Cr-v. The potential of it being lifted or lowered. Easy to drive and park. Resale value is good. I got a loaded low mileage Ridgeline. Guess what I drive often?
Ummm...The V for $400, Alex! Such great rigs cant wait to shred up the the mtn with her!

Free
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine ( 2000 5spd LX ) two months ago ...daily drive fo sho ��,
Old 12-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by M-benz

Bought mine ( 2000 5spd LX ) two months ago ...daily drive fo sho ��,
Very nice Andy, love the silver! I see a lil' S2 lurking in the garage...and is that a CF decklid? How do you like the S2k? I come from Stangs' but have ALWAYS had a HUGE infatuation with S2ks! They seem like very capable cars. I am in love with finding older cars (96-2005) that can "do it all" in their respective classification. The CRV I learned was one of those vehicles and I feel like the S2000 might be as well?'

You gotta get some more meat on that thing

Free
Old 12-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freefallin99
Very nice Andy, love the silver! I see a lil' S2 lurking in the garage...and is that a CF decklid? How do you like the S2k? I come from Stangs' but have ALWAYS had a HUGE infatuation with S2ks! They seem like very capable cars. I am in love with finding older cars (96-2005) that can "do it all" in their respective classification. The CRV I learned was one of those vehicles and I feel like the S2000 might be as well?'

You gotta get some more meat on that thing

Free
Good eyes brother ..it is my baby S2K ( AP2) . There is no comparison bwtn the S2K and Our CR-V . They're different just animals . The decklid that you saw it is called JDP Engineering spoiler . Here another pic of it ...you asked for it lmao ,
Old 12-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by M-benz

Good eyes brother ..it is my baby S2K ( AP2) . There is no comparison bwtn the S2K and Our CR-V . They're different just animals . The decklid that you saw it is called JDP Engineering spoiler . Here another pic of it ...you asked for it lmao ,
Sorry, Andy, I should have clarified what I was meaning. What I mean is this: The CR-V is a "utilitarian" vehicle classification in my eyes. Its does everything from good fuel mileage to taking you anywhere you want to go. It's the "complete package" so to speak IMHO. Your S2k is a RWD road & track car and I think it does many things better than similar vehicles in it's "classification" range. Other cars such as Mustangs, Camaros, BRZ/FRS, Saturn Sky, etc., cant really compete with the engineering, fuel mileage, agileness, etc. of the S2k. Sorry for the rant but that's just how I feel!

Beautiful car though man. If I am interested in buying one someday, what years should I look for? What is/are the main issues typically for S2k cars? Known/common problems to think about when purchasing a higher mileage car?

Free
Old 12-17-2016, 11:23 AM
The Credible Hulk

Just got mine back from from my soon to be ex. She thought she was taking the 07 Ody from me... I'm just glad to have the damn V back!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 speed owner checking in
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also ap2 owner lol
Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm starting to see a trend here between crv's and s2ks.... haha
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha nice ... how about S2K & 1st Gen CR-V threads ? Lol
Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I luv mine. I don't use it off road much except to go shooting because I have a Suzuki Samurai for trail riding. but my civic coupe and crv get the most daily use. the crv is my bad weather run about and my civic is my sunny day cruiser

Last edited by warpig1; 01-01-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member