Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

How much power..?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power..?

I've been looking around on here but didn't find any real answers to my question, so I figured I'd just ask. How much horsepower can a stock 5-speed CRV transmission be expected to handle? What options are there currently available to strengthen the transmission?

I have a '00 tranny with custom hardened shafts, custom driveshaft and a welded diff case. The motor, clutch and rear-end are all taken care of, but I'm pretty sure the transmission will be my weak link. I've been told that my current setup can reach 500hp, but I want 600whp by the middle of next year.

I'm looking to pull a second tranny and have some work done to it. My ultimate goal will just be to not burn through trannies like wildfire.. Does anyone know where I may be able to locate performance gears or synchros that are compatible with the '00 manual transmission? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much power..?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're that thing in the magazine right? the transmission can be beefed up like any b series.. differential, gear seperation, gear engagement, gear stripout are the typical problems and all have a trusted aftermarket solution. but where our weak spots end your's are just beginning. that yoke on the back of the trans, i'm guessing, is what you used to send the umph to the rear end, right?

you should be good until that thing shears off, grinds the gears off inside, or just decides to rip itself free from our cast aluminum trans cases. if you have serious cash to waste on this thing you might try contacting someone about getting something completely custom engineered. good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please post videos when you get this thing up and running around!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drive shaft is the weak link
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry it took so long to reply, went on my mid-tour and just getting settled back in here in Iraq. Yeah, that's my prelude in Super Street. I was planning to do something different and was in the planning stages with $20k to start when I came across it. Never saw myself in a lude and never worked H-blocks, but when I saw it I knew it was what I wanted to build. One month later it was in my garage with money to spare. Now I'm looking to show what it can do.

As for the weaknesses, all the shafts were custom built/hardened. The previous owner said the tranny was "treated", but couldn't tell me how. I'll be going through the receipts to see if I can determine what work was done here soon. If no work was done, my current plan is to ship a stripped down tranny to WPC for treatment. Synchrotech has already offered to compliment it with carbon synchros as well.

That leaves my transfer case.. Everyone seems to be in agreement that this will be my kryptonite. The case was welded. I'm looking to get a replacement before I start pushing it, but unless I can strengthen it I'll be in the same boat.

Some of the pictures can be seen here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388203...elude-coupe-2d

I'm expecting to be back in the states in April, so there won't be any real updates until then. Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a solid piece prop shaft is what you also need..!?? same as the one they do on
240sx.... my crv is boosted/vtec nothing fancy, but i always check my prop shaft
everytime i put on the lift... i could somehow tell that its slowly showing signs of
wear/tear, i do track my crv.. not drag but road course so imagine how much pressure
im putting on the shaft eveytime im on the circuit/course... as far as the rear diff
is concerned its still holding up but at one point i heard that i might have overheated
the rear diff fluids after a season of road course/daily abuse......
Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just woke up and logged in to see what you had to say.. my eyes were all blurry and all I saw was 240sx and was like, thats a great idea lol. I had a few guys who did drifting back home with 240's and I'm sure if anybody would know about drivetrains its those guys. I've been looking specifically at drag because that's what I'll be doing for time slips, but with a crooked project like this one, drifter cats might have a better insight on these problems.

My biggest two concerns, which generally no ones else shares, is that most people either have AWD or RWD, not AWD-to-RWD conversions, and then there's the whole "it's a crv" thing. The rear end is a solid ford 8.8, and the shafts were "supposedly" built to withstand the extra power (haven't tested them yet). I'm expecting to lose my jockey box off the jump and maybe a transmission shortly there after, but we'll see. I know she can do a mean burnout.., just gotta wait and see if she can do a mean launch without something exploding!