Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Honda element 2006 check engine light code p2646 faulty acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda element 2006 check engine light code p2646 faulty acceleration

Originally Posted by BravoCharlie
Hi Jason -

I think I'm in the same situation with a 2005 CRV with ~85k which throws a P2646 code w/ limp mode after I drive 65 mph+ for more than 15 minutes (I found if I keep it at 60 mph, no problems). I just bought this vehicle so I'm hoping it's not a lemon.

So far I've replaced the pressure switch and oil solenoid (which was leaking a bit). I've taken it to the Honda Dealer. At first they noticed the oil filter had little to no oil in it so they thought this was it, but it didn't fix the problem so they're stumped, saying I probably need a new engine since they can hear some 'low end engine noise'. I can hear a little bit of noise but it goes away once the engine warms up (I've been told CRV's can tend to be noisy). Before I go this route I want to exhaust all options.

I was trouble shooting on my own and found I can duplicate the symptoms if if disconnect the wire to the pressure switch while the engine is running, so I started thinking it might be a short circuit (a guy at autozone said this can occur once the wires warm up to a certain point). Have you tried replacing the wiring harness that connects to the oil solenoid?

Here's why I'm thinking a faulty wiring harness...

Once the car goes into limp mode while driving 65+, if I pull over and restart the car, limp mode will go away but it comes back in a few minutes when the engine warms up again.

Thinking this problem has something to do with overheating, I opened the hood but kept it attached to the safety latch. I drove it this way a little (safe or not) going 70 mph and found it took a little bit longer before limp mode started. I then jammed some paper in the hood to on the side of the pressure switch to maximize how open it is (still connected to safety latch) and I was able to drive for 20 minutes at 72 mph without going into limp mode. This makes me think the extra air flow helped cool things off and prevented a short circuit.

I did finally hit limp mode, but only when I reduced speed to 65 mph; I think I heard the engine fan kick in right before limp mode started.

I'm going to have take my car back to the Honda Dealer and request them to replace the wiring harness. Will let you know if this works or not but I'm curious if this is something you've tried.
wow your dealing with the same problem i have. limp mode at freeway speed. goes off after restart. after a five restarts with out going faster than 65mph, the check engine light goes off and will not go into limp until i drive that fast again. will look into oil pressure wire. thanks.

Originally Posted by kouajones
Lack of oil changes and low oil level can and will cause a stretch timing chain to the point where the vehicle will not even stay running or will misfire horribly. The repair will lead to a new timing chain, tensioner and maybe chain guides. I suggest you start changing your oil on time. I've seen alot of tsx(2.4l) and rsx(2.0l) k-series engine with stretched chain before with poor oil change records.
thanks for the info. i bought the car used with 159,000 miles on it. so i dont know what was done before me. i have personally changed the oil 12 times in the last 18 months. that i have owned the car. it now has 181,000 miles on it. most of it done in limp mode. will look into the timing chain thanks...
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda element 2006 check engine light code p2646 faulty acceleration

HI..

i wanted to contribute that I currently have this code and it has been frustrating .. not being one who is very mechanical or "good with dealing with mechanics". I usually find friends who can work on stuff for me..

I got a few quotes for around $700 to replace my Vtec sensors (05 Element)

and well that I thought was just to much.. it has to be easier .. how about changing the oil and clearing the codes?.. actually a buddy suggested I idle it with some Seafoam in it first then change the oil and see if that helps..

heck if they need to be replaced though .. how do you know? without having some
$100/hour dealer service station bill me for 6 hours or more?..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Trial User

I realize it could be several things.. .but the most obvious to me (for my situation is lack of oil changes.. and I drive gravel roads everyday... ) anyways
I hope to find some more good info and save money by being a member here.. thanks to all of you who have addressed this question..

it pointed me in other directions than just maxing out my CC's!!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so did anyone ever found the solution to this CEL? i just got this CEL today on my way out of town for the weekend, stopped by an autozone and it was told it was a p2646. checked oil, it was slightly low, so i topped it off and reset the ecu. for a quick second it let me go over 2600rpm but the CEL quickly came on and started stalling. ive been doing research and was told from a friend who is an Acura Tech telling me it's most likely due to a dirty screen to the vtec solenoid and the vtec oil pressure switch rarely goes out. so, im jus curious if anyone found a solution to this CEL.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

'Im have same problems with a 2004 civic ex d17. I going to test the Oil pressure wires tomorrow. if this doesn't fix the problem its either a clogged pickup, oil pump or ecm. i have 2 cars that are identical year make and model, close to the same mileage on them one runs great (mine) the other with the p2646 code (my friends car) I have swap part between the two to duplicate the issue on my car.... nothing so far. It has to be wiring, oil pump, oil pickup or ecm. My guess is wiring or ecm, honda oil pumps hardly go out.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Trial User

Default 2005 CRV is hard to start sometime.

There are times when my CRV will start with no trouble at and them lately there are times when she just wont kickover the first time and I have to try again. The engine is sound as a whistle. Any ideas what the trouble might be?

HELP!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a friend that is having the same symptom on his 2004 Honda accord.

I cleaned the screens but didn't replace the pressure switch.

I work on many different cars as I'm a part time mechanic.

I recognize this same symptom on v6 Toyota and Lexus. The engine drives fine when its cold, but when the solenoid get hot it starts to give out.
The issue is fixed by replacing the vvti oil control solenoid see pic below.

Now the Honda k motors have started using these solenoids as well.

Has anyone replaced this solenoid to see if it fixes their issue?

Here is the pic from the Honda parts. It's #7

Part#15830-RAA-A01 007 VALVE ASSY., VTC OIL CONTROL $116.53 $80.41

I'm going to order one this week and see if this fixes the issue.

Will update this post once I get confirmation.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Trial User

Jason, did you ever fix this problem. I have the same situation on my Element.

Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1
wow your dealing with the same problem i have. limp mode at freeway speed. goes off after restart. after a five restarts with out going faster than 65mph, the check engine light goes off and will not go into limp until i drive that fast again. will look into oil pressure wire. thanks.

thanks for the info. i bought the car used with 159,000 miles on it. so i dont know what was done before me. i have personally changed the oil 12 times in the last 18 months. that i have owned the car. it now has 181,000 miles on it. most of it done in limp mode. will look into the timing chain thanks...
Old 06-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same issue with mine and I did the simplest thing frst which was to clean my battery posts. Sounds funny but sometimes when the car isnt getting enough voltage from the battery the vtec solenoid switch wont engage and you wont be able to pass the 3k rpms which causes you to stutter and your check engine light kicks in.
You could be lucky and this may solve your problem, worst cause is to replace your vtec solenoid.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: Honda element 2006 check engine light code p2646 faulty acceleration

Hello all,

In the thread for the same reason... error codes (p2646 , p2647 , and p0011) of course limp mode usually kicks in on highway after time at 70 mph, kicks the accelerator off until 60, then stays in limp mode.

Anyway, I have just replaced the VTEC solenoid. engine light still on, I haven't had the chance to have someone clear the code for me, but i also have a breathalyzer in my car currently so i cant just disconnect the terminal. Driven over 80 miles, and the problem still persists.

Whats odd is random electrical units of the car keep malfunctioning on me. Fan blower motor, my horn barely works, washer fluid pump, and now my VTEC solenoid? Reading past threads i didn't even think of the ECU being damaged but i feel thats a definite possibility. My next step is the wiring harness for the solenoid, then the oil pump, then i guess last would be the ECU.

I will post any progress or failures on this board.

Has anyone found a solution yet that has fixed their vehicle?

Thanks!

Also another element owner said when he didn't use Honda oil filters, this would happen.

Last edited by Dylan Townsend; 09-09-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quiddivinum
Jason, did you ever fix this problem. I have the same situation on my Element.
Nope I never fixed the Limp mode DTC 2646. I traded my Element in a few months ago.........Hope it works out for you guys...
Old 11-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Trial User

Got to throw my $0.02 worth in ... so many people helped with their input. I too changed solenoid, oil pressure gauge, cleaned screens, flushed oil and much more and could not get rid of the intermittent engine light and P2646 code being thrown. I was at my wits end and for one reason or another decided it was the EPU and was about to embark on replacing it. I had disconnected the harness to various sensors and upon really close inspection of the harness and sensor connections I noticed the the solenoid AND oil pressure sensor connectors were loose. I pulled back the rubber boot on the oil pressure gauge and the silicon grommet on the solenoid and low and behold BOTH the very fine gauge copper wires were frayed and in the case of the solenoid - disconnected on the active (grey) cable. it was very fine - vibrations in the care could open and close the circuit throwing the P2646 error. I used this video (
) to strip and solder a strong connection to each clip and then reconnected all sensors. BOOM. no errors, has been running perfectly .. except for the lower control arm bushers that are shot and need replacing.

Just saying, I believe my issue (that you also might want to look into) was completely electrical at the wiring harness sensor connectors.

- saved my sanity.