Honda CR-V 2006 slow to crank randomly

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CR-V 2006 slow to crank randomly

Hi,

First post here for me.

Our 2006 CR-V has 265,000 miles and in the last several months, it started to randomly crank slowly. Sometime it crank fine but sometime like this morning, it was really slow to crank but it eventually started.

I was at my technician shop and i had dropped the car the night before (To make sure that my technician would witness the problem). This morning, he connected his computer on the battery posts to conduct a battery and charging test (To prove or eliminate a batter/charging issue). Before starting the car the voltages was 12.9v which is fine for a car that was parked overnight. When he tried to start the car, it took 2 times and both times was really slow to crank but on the second try, the engine started. It is like if there was no power in the battery, like not enough CCA to crank the engine. Then, he let the engine run for about 1 minute because he had to take some measurement at idle speed, at 2,000 rpm and both with and without the accessories.

Then, he shut down the engine and tried again to start and it cranked normally. It was not slow to crank at all, it was normal. It did that 3 times back to back and the crank speed was fine. It was not slow anymore.

From his computer who was connected to the battery all the time of the test, the report said that the voltage, amps and alternator had numbers within specs.

Let's pretend that his computer was faulty and the battery had an issue, IMO, there is no way that running an engine for 1 minutes would have recharged the battery in a way that the engine would crank normally...

My technician is aiming at the starter and claiming that the starter is degrading and it needs to be replaced. He quoted me 475$ with labor for a Honda Recon unit.

Anyone here had a similar experience with their Hondas?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I live in Florida so cold is not the issue.

Thank you.

Serge.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Honda CR-V 2006 slow to crank randomly

Check your earth cables, but sounds like a lazy starter motor

Kev
Old 12-30-2016, 12:18 PM
The Credible Hulk

Default Re: Honda CR-V 2006 slow to crank randomly

I agree with above. I JUST replaced my father's 04 starter this morning... it took 2 hours and I almost broke 3 fingers LOL.

Start by inspecting the ground cables you can see but your description is almost definitely the starter wearing out. You can get an aftermarket one for $80-140 on amazon or at the parts store for like $175 with a one year warranty.

I found this video very helpful.

Thought I 'd be able to get away without disconnecting the coolant hoses from the throttle body but you actually need to be able to swing it far out of the way to get the manifold out.