Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Gen 1 CRV issue, no power to front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1 CRV issue, no power to front wheels

I have a 98 CRV 5 speed manual with some issues.
I've been driving on snow and ice for a while now here in North Dakota, and the real-time AWD has been working great. Seemingly out of nowhere, I noticed that when accelerating from a stop on an icy road, the wheels were slipping a lot and I wasn't getting much power moving forward. Then pulling into my garage, the wheels were still slipping. I thought all 4 wheels were, but even with the front wheels in the garage, the rear wheels were slipping on the ice just trying to pull in.
I later noticed that when driving on ice, only the rear driver side wheel slips, and it feels like there is no power at all to the front wheels.

After this happened, I tried driving on the interstate (which was clear of snow and ice) and it felt like the rear wheels were constantly slipping. If I put my foot down, even in 4th or 5th gear, I would have surges of power and the speedometer and tach together would bounce up and down.

I am hearing a groan/whine from the rear only when putting my foot down to accelerate moderately quickly.

Today I jacked it up. Only the rear wheels spin with the clutch engaged. Without the car running, if I spin one of the rear wheels the other spins in the opposite direction. If I spin one of the front wheels, it has no effect on the other. Is this normal?

I also pulled the abs fuse and that didn't change anything.

I am completely perplexed about what is happening. Please let me know if any other information could be useful.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:01 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Gen 1 CRV issue, no power to front wheels

Going off your non technical diagnosing, sounds like your front differential is blown. CRVs use 2 ring gears so that would explain why the car still even moves. Drain your trans fluid and if it comes out silver and has scattered metallic objects, there you go. To be sure, make sure a front axle didn't pop out or strip a tripod.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd lean more towards a broken front axle, maybe popped out.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Trial User

I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after more inspection I went ahead and replaced the transmission. The transmission fluid looked clean when I drained it. After installing the axles and putting the front wheels on, I turned the driver's side front wheel by hand and the passenger side spun the opposite direction. Then I filled the transmission with fluid and took it for a test drive... The same issues occured. It felt like it had a lack of power, it surges when accellerating, and the back end moans when accellerating or turning (I later changed the rear diff fluid).

Then I parked it and got all 4 wheels up. Now when I spin a front wheel by hand, it has no effect on the other. I unbolted the driveshaft from the front and drove the vehicle in the air. The front wheels do nothing, only the rear output shaft spins. I can hear slight grinding/clunking noises from the transmission when it was driving.

I had a friend spin the front wheels by hand while I listened from underneath. I thought the sound was different when he spun the driver's side verses the passenger side, but I'm not sure. I suspected the sound was coming from where the intermediate shaft goes into the transmission, but I removed the shaft and all the splines look good.

Thank you so much for any help and information. If you would like any more information please ask, I'm running out of ideas here.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Having done many things to the 5-speed transmission, I can tell you that your problem almost doesn't make sense unless you got another bad transmission. Where did you get this transmission from? What happened to the old one? If you still have it did you pull it apart to inspect it? Have you made sure the axles are good or replaced just to be sure? If one side is blown it will make a ton of racket. Videos and pictures would be of great help here.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Having done many things to the 5-speed transmission, I can tell you that your problem almost doesn't make sense unless you got another bad transmission.
That's my thoughts exactly right now. I got the transmission from a salvage yard, it does have a 90 day warranty if it is in fact bad. I still have the old one, I have not taken it apart but plan to do that. The axels look fine to me, I will post pictures soon.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Since the crv is a cable tranny, check the shifter cables first. Hopefully they are functioning.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Since the crv is a cable tranny, check the shifter cables first. Hopefully they are functioning.
How does that even touch on why the rear wheels move and the front doesn't?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Totally missed that.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I feel dumb. In my hurry to get it put back together, I didn't make sure the passenger side axel was pushed in past the snap ring. I still don't know what was wrong with the original transmission. Thanks for everybody's help though.