Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Front End Noises - First Gen CRV

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Noises - First Gen CRV

Hi guys, I've got two different noises going on, thought I'd get your ideas on what they could be so I know what to check this weekend when I have time to look into it.

#1 - This has been going on for a while, and last time I asked my mechanic about this he told me it was caused by the design of the brakes on CRVs and was normal. I want a second opinion as my reading is the normal Honda "brake click" is caused when you first apply the brakes, not when you release the brakes.

The noise is a metallic clank/click. It most often happens when releasing my foot from the brakes after shifting it into reverse on start up. If I give it gas while releasing the brake it may be louder. Some times it will make the noise after shifting from reverse into first and giving the car gas, but much less often. It also happens if I'm accelerating and then take my foot off the gas. I'll here a single click.

#2 - I recently moved, and there's a stretch of road I have to drive every day that's really bumpy. I've noticed when driving over the bumps, there's a sort of hollow thud or rumble coming from the front. Sounds almost like two empty plastic storage boxes bumping into each other. I thought at first it might just be reverberations somewhere in the dash.

What else should I investigate besides:
- Sway bar
- Tie Rods
- Roll bar bushings
- Other suspension

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. As well as general opinion how easy it would be able to be a DIY fix?

Last edited by BlueWhale; 06-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front End Noises - First Gen CRV

Additional detail:
2000 CRV
111,800 miles
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Trial User

I have an Element which has same brakes and was experiencing similar which gradually got worse and let to total caliper lockup/dragging. The brake line can act differently when hot and act like a check valve. Then when it cools it let's the pads release in a burst. It could be a caliper sticking as well. I ended up replacing both the caliper and line on the left rear that was locking up and along with a fluid flush (all fairly easy diy) its like new brakes. The brake hose symptoms were reported elsewhere as not an uncommon problem. My theory is that the rear brakes on these cars are on the undersized side and depending on the weight hauled they do a lot of work. They are the same as used on the acura tl cars which I don't think would be asked to carry 30 bags of topsoil or a ton of tools.

For number 2 I'm not sure but trying to diagnose similar on my gf's civic. Haven't figured it out yet but starting with sway bar end links and sway bar bushings because they're cheap and in my head they're most related to independent wheel movement causing clunking since they span the underside and are affected by either wheel movement.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced the sway bar links, and the sound in #2 has gone away completely. The click in #1 is still there. I'm relieved at least about #2, was pretty sure I was going to have to put new struts in.