Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV with unusual problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV with unusual problem

I recently purchased a 2001 honda crv with approx 190k miles that didn't run. I proceeded to check the usual things, I have been through the ignition system, and keep getting intermittent spark. I have replaced the spark control module, the coil, the cap, and still keep having the same problem. It will act like it is firing on one or two cylinders, and try to start but wont stay running. Two different times since I have been working on it is has started and ran for a couple of minutes, but then it stalls out and won't restart. I have also observed it run backwards a couple of times after it trying to start and then stalling. I have changed the computer, with no difference in results. The distributer was recently replaced before I bought it, indicating the car has had problems with the ignition before. I verified mechanical timing is good, have double and triple checked the firing order, disconnected the exhaust to eliminate the chance of a clogged cat, and have been rechecking the spark at the coil. This last time I started trying to re-verify spark at the distributer, it started to run backward again and shot flame out of the intake that took off a lot of hair. I could use some other ideas of things to check, so I don't burn up the car. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: CRV with unusual problem

Originally Posted by hatboyinator
I recently purchased a 2001 honda crv with approx 190k miles that didn't run. I proceeded to check the usual things, I have been through the ignition system, and keep getting intermittent spark. I have replaced the spark control module, the coil, the cap, and still keep having the same problem. It will act like it is firing on one or two cylinders, and try to start but wont stay running. Two different times since I have been working on it is has started and ran for a couple of minutes, but then it stalls out and won't restart. I have also observed it run backwards a couple of times after it trying to start and then stalling. I have changed the computer, with no difference in results. The distributer was recently replaced before I bought it, indicating the car has had problems with the ignition before. I verified mechanical timing is good, have double and triple checked the firing order, disconnected the exhaust to eliminate the chance of a clogged cat, and have been rechecking the spark at the coil. This last time I started trying to re-verify spark at the distributer, it started to run backward again and shot flame out of the intake that took off a lot of hair. I could use some other ideas of things to check, so I don't burn up the car. Thanks.

Hello,

Is your CRV a Mk1 -If yes I would suggest you check the ignition switch because they where part of a recall service letter and it may be loosing it's power feed to the coil.

Rgs,

Kev
Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the PGM-FI relay. I believe located under the dash. They have solder joints that break a part causing this exact issue. It powers the fuel pump and other things. Good Luck
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Potential crank / cam sensor issue (maybe a long shot but I had this on an old Volvo)
Best of luck,

Keith.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also check your valve gap clearance, it has to be done every 30k miles.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Injectors firing?