Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

*****HELP CRV RATTLING NOISE WHILE DRIVING !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *****HELP CRV RATTLING NOISE WHILE DRIVING !!!!

OK FELLOW HONDA TECH !! IM IN NEED OF SOME HELP..
I HAVE A STOCK HONDA CRV MANUAL WITH 187,000 BONE STOCK NO MODS AT ALL. JUST RECENTLY ONLY WHEN IM Accelerating OVER 3.5 RPMS REACHING 4 RPMS. IT MAKES A GRINDING METAL RATTLING NOISE. IT ISNT MY HEAT SHIELD I TRIED, ISNT MY CAT. I NEED HELP SOMEONE GUIDE ME. I READ THREADS AND I KNOW IT ISNT MY TRANSMISSION. BECAUSE IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I Accelerate.

Update problem Sovled- Exhaust had a hole in it.

Last edited by Dc2_ShowStopper; 11-04-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
aF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *****HELP CRV RATTLING NOISE WHILE DRIVING !!!!

Sounds like what mine is doing.i found out that the mid pipe has a "inner pipe that is welded inside of it and the welds break over time.the only way to fix it is just replace the pipe.not 100% sure this is what your problem is but it is what mine needs and I have 180k with the og system mine.pipe are not much from any part store so its worth the gamble.hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aF
Sounds like what mine is doing.i found out that the mid pipe has a "inner pipe that is welded inside of it and the welds break over time.the only way to fix it is just replace the pipe.not 100% sure this is what your problem is but it is what mine needs and I have 180k with the og system mine.pipe are not much from any part store so its worth the gamble.hope this helps.

I hope im going to look into this the noise only happens when im accelating over 3-3.5 rpms. n its very loud as im driving its embrassing n this is my 1st crv so i wanna take care of everything i just never heard of this problem before.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably detonation. I know that was my problem...does it sound like marbles in a tin can? And does it only happen not at a certain rpm...but throttle position? Like say if you were in 3k-3.5k and you feather the gas pedal it goes away? If it is, check your timing and you may also have to try some fuel cleaner if you have excessive carbon build up which could cause the same issue. My issue was after checking literally everything, was my intake cam gear was off by 1 tooth. Redid my timing and everything resolved.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI ---- it wonder off being my exhaust it was rusted .. Wonder off falling off
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

J, I had a similar problem with my 98. It turned out to be the gasket between the exaust pipe and the muffler (there are two like gaskets @ each end of your cat). It turns out it would only rattle when there was sufficient back pressure in the exaust system to partially compress the mounting springs, $5 fix if this is it. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

having slightly similar problem too damn cold to figure it out! I think I hear mines at roughly 2.5rpm sort of a shimming/screeching noise idk reading some of the post sounds like could be exhaust gasket problem..could be pulley need re-tension/belts...idk jux too damn cold 4,6,8 degrees feeling like -14, -17, -28
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sliverSE.V
having slightly similar problem too damn cold to figure it out! I think I hear mines at roughly 2.5rpm sort of a shimming/screeching noise idk reading some of the post sounds like could be exhaust gasket problem..could be pulley need re-tension/belts...idk jux too damn cold 4,6,8 degrees feeling like -14, -17, -28
I completely understand its to cold . But trust me check your exhaust first have it running n with a glove on check your exhaust n see when you cover it or move it does the noise change.. Hope this helps .. That what mine was..
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was it the gasket or something else?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FasterScooter
Was it the gasket or something else?
it was my entire exahust it had to many little holes that when i accelerate it would make horriable nosies. it sounded so bad i didnt even figure it would be that.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well for me I'm hoping it's just my exhaust too and nothing in the engine as I don't want to have to do any work to the front end, not in this weather at least...I'm actually planning on a new exhaust system so once I get that (got to find one and order it) and the weather is decent 40s or so i'll swap it out..hopefully I don't need a new CAT too but I think I might so looks like I'll be spending some mad dough soon on exhaust, cat, change/upgrade sway bar+end links and hopefully that's it then I can refocus on getting/ordering a new shoes for the V
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same noise on my CR-V at around the 2300 RPM mark. Haven't gotten around to heavily inspect it, but it is usually a lose heat shield, or as others have said, the inner exhaust pipe rattling. Nothing major to worry about, just a tad annoying .
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SirFerret
I have the same noise on my CR-V at around the 2300 RPM mark. Haven't gotten around to heavily inspect it, but it is usually a lose heat shield, or as others have said, the inner exhaust pipe rattling. Nothing major to worry about, just a tad annoying .
I hope not lol cuz I'm just waiting on another VID besides the youtube one to see if I like the OBX exhuast and maybe order one..then I'll switch it and hopefully that'll be the problem solver
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope not lol cuz I'm just waiting on another VID besides the youtube one to see if I like the OBX exhuast and maybe order one..then I'll switch it and hopefully that'll be the problem solver
I will be posting details on my exhaust i would stay away from obx due to fitment issues i actually ordered "Bosal" they actually made it for 4wd Crv like mines. n all the reviews i've read been great. If you "youtube' their actually a couple good videos. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah kind heard a bit on it..w/fitmet issues-was thinking on their header as well due to me maybe needing the exhaust pipe part from the OEM header mix reviews on both from peeps so idk..will see...i googled on the "bosal" muffler/exhaust but can't seem to find anything(video) on it...i only see the exhaust pipe from header...you got any pics of your? Isn't the "bosal" like OEM or how is it like? lmk n where you ordered yours?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah kind heard a bit on it..w/fitmet issues-was thinking on their header as well due to me maybe needing the exhaust pipe part from the OEM header mix reviews on both from peeps so idk..will see...i googled on the "bosal" muffler/exhaust but can't seem to find anything(video) on it...i only see the exhaust pipe from header...you got any pics of your? Isn't the "bosal" like OEM or how is it like? lmk n where you ordered yours?
tHEIRS A VIDEO on their with a crx with the exhaust. im still waiting for the part to come in. i ordered from ebay.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^crx? I'm looking for crv but yeah...post pics and maybe make a vid then when you do...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys should check your axles i had same metal noise and it turned out to be the blancer on the axle in the middle seperated from the rubber and was just rollin with the axle as you drove down the road i just taped it back and no problem since my axle is in great shape why replace just for that
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^I'll have to look under it when weather gets warmer/dryer out can't atm snow/rain freezing cold +plus coming home late from school

kinda sucks I gotta do what I think a good amount of maintenance on it being that it's only clocked in at not even 75K on it yet

It's due for an new exhaust tho so should solve the problem if in fact is exhaust gaskets...PO just had old system welded up here and there in sections I know for sure there's one spot of visible leak
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Solved my rattling issue. It was the heat shield on the cat. It was rusted out around all the mounts. Took it off, so no more rattling! I might get a new one or mount the old one back on with hose clamps.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SirFerret
Solved my rattling issue. It was the heat shield on the cat. It was rusted out around all the mounts. Took it off, so no more rattling! I might get a new one or mount the old one back on with hose clamps.
Either put the heatsheild back on or update your fire insurance.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FasterScooter
Either put the heatsheild back on or update your fire insurance.
Yeah I know . I just took it off to see if it was the issue. I can't seem to find a new one anywhere, so I guess I will have to get some new bolts then strap it down so it doesn't make noise.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did a couple tack welds with my buzz box wire feed and have not had any trouble since.