Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV engine mount help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV engine mount help.

1999 Honda CR-V ex 5spd.

Recently swapped in a b20b. I took it down the street a bit today and if I baby it it feels pretty normal but if I put it under a load I feel a shake in the front end and I feel it in the steering wheel. I immediately parked it and took off the front wheels but can't see anything wrong.

With the engine swap I also replaced both CV axles, all 4 ball joints and the outer tie rods, put in a new clutch and flywheel and I also have a set of old man emu springs and I installed the front 2.

I did notice a rubber damper bushing in the middle of the passenger side axle that the replacement lacked.

Mainly though I had a set of EK innovate engine mounts I used which at the moment I am worried may be the problem. After studying the engine a bit I feel the driver side may be sitting a little high, I've seen several say that EK mounts will work and I compared them to the factory CRV mounts and thought everything was good. The portion of the mount that bolts to the block behind the timing cover was different so I used the original from the B20z. I did feel like I was having a little excessive trouble with the ac compressor/torque mount on the drivers side. I had to bolt it up first, if the drivers engine mount was bolted up I couldn't get it in place.

looking for tips on how to isolate the problem as well as determine if my engine positioned correctly and if not suggestions on a remedy would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV engine mount help.

Got a front end alignment today and everything is pretty good. Shake is still there, it doesn't seem to happen above 40-50 mph and still only under harder acceleration, I mainly get it to happen in second gear. Gonna get the front tires rebalanced and see if anything changes next.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a little time today to mess with it, swapped wheels front to rear and there was no change. Tested it in multiple gear under various accelerations and I'm pretty the certain now the shake occurs based on vehicle speed and not engine rpm. Other than the springs and the mounts everything is like stock so I guess my next move is to put the original driver side mount back and see what happens.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you try swapping back in the old axles yet? Axle RPM is something that would be vehicle-speed dependent and not engine speed dependent so that might be worth looking into!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put the original drivers side engine mount back in and the shake lessened. After that I filled the other 4 original mounts with window weld and put them all back in. The shake is lesser now but still noticeable around 30mph under acceleration. I was really hoping that would clear it up but alas.... Putting the original axles back in is the only other thing I know to try so I guess I'll do them next, 1 at a time.