Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

99 CRV Has No Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CRV Has No Reverse Lights

So a buddy of mine recently purchased a 1999 Honda CRV 2WD auto. It has a few minor issues but nothing major and was well worth it for the cost. I've fixed all the issues but now he's telling me that he's noticed that his reverse lights aren't working. The fuses are all good and the bulbs are good as well. Now I've worked on a vehicle with the same issue but it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The problem with that one was that there was a relay in the wiring off the transmission that told the reverse lights to come on once the transmission was in reverse. I replaced that and it fixed the issue. I haven't messed around with this cr-v because it's the first one I've ever worked on and I want to get some expert advice from my friends here at Honda-tech. With all that said, my questions to you guys are:

1.) Anyone ever had this issue in their CR-V or other Honda?

2.) If so, can you let me know some things to check?

3.) Does a CR-V have a similar set up with the relay for the reverse lights? If so, can someone let me know where it's at or does someone have a wiring diagram to help me check all the wiring?

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 99 CRV Has No Reverse Lights

The CR-V with automatic does have a reverse relay (M/T does not have a reverse relay). It is located under the driver's side dash, to the right of the steering column. Double-check under-dash Fuse 19 (7.5A) back-up light fuse first.

The relay can be tested separately or you can backprobe the relay's wire terminals to test voltage coming into and out of the relay, and to test for continuity to ground on the ground wire coming from the transmission range switch.

On the reverse relay, if you backprobe:

Relay terminal no. 1 (Yel/Red wire) and no. 5 (Yel/Red) both should have power (voltage) when in START or ON.
Relay terminal no. 2 (Grn/Blk) should have power to feed the reverse lights, when in START or ON and transmission shifted to REVERSE.
Relay terminal no. 3 (Yel) should have continuity to ground when transmission shifted to REVERSE.

Backprobing is either using a backprobe set or using a thin needle or something and making contact with the metal terminal of the connector without piercing the wire in the back of the still connected connector. Care must be taken to ensure that the wiring does not get damaged. You can use something like a T pin, available at Walmart, etc., and backprobe.

Last edited by tech8; 08-03-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
The CR-V with automatic does have a reverse relay (M/T does not have a reverse relay). It is located under the driver's side dash, to the right of the steering column. Double-check under-dash Fuse 19 (7.5A) back-up light fuse first.

The relay can be tested separately or you can backprobe the relay's wire terminals to test voltage coming into and out of the relay, and to test for continuity to ground on the ground wire coming from the transmission range switch.

Relay terminal no. 1 (Yel/Red wire) and no. 5 (Yel/Red) both should have power (voltage) when in START or ON.
Relay terminal no. 2 (Grn/Blk) should have power to feed the reverse lights, when in START or ON and transmission shifted to REVERSE.
Relay terminal no. 3 (Yel) should have continuity to ground when transmission shifted to REVERSE.

Backprobing is either using a backprobe set or using a thin needle or something and making contact with the metal terminal of the connector without piercing the wire in the back of the still connected connector. Care must be taken to ensure that the wiring does not get damaged. You can use something like a T pin, available at Walmart, etc., and backprobe.
Hi allvtecyo and Tech8.

This is my first post, however I guarantee you many more will be coming after this.

Anyway, I just recently bought back my late father’s 2000 CRV (i'm located in Australia - right hand drive) and it has the same issue, from what it sounds like a faulty relay.

I've tried to locate it, however have been unable to find it. I have found the rear demister, power windows and turn signals relay, but not the reverse relay. Page 23-10 shows the reverse relay along with the rear power socket and wiper motor relays, however I can’t find this on the Australian CRV (the service manual is for a left-hand drive vehicle).

Is the relay build into the indicator and wiper stalk housings

Would you have any photos or some directions that you could help me out with locating it?

Thanks for any help in advance, it's much appreciated!

Cheers,
Patrick.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Tech8,

Thanks heaps for that photo you posted of the relay a few days ago. I have had a look on my one and it seems that the ignition barrel on the AUS ones is located right where the relays are and as such i cannot find them there or even on the right side of the steering column. I have been sick so haven't been able to look into the issue too much, however noticed that the photo you had put with the location of the relay has gone.

I would really, really appreciate if you could re-post it.

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8

im dealing with this now any pictures of the location of that relay? I can’t find it unfortunately. It’s really frustrating