Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

98 CRV won't start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CRV won't start when warm

Hi all. John here, I have a 98 CRV, actually has Accura B18A1 motor, but I've just had for a few weeks. It starts easily when cold, or even hot when it's only off a short time. If I run it to normal temp. then shut off for say 5-20 min, it won't start.
It is running great, hasn't stalled, the problem has been very predictable.

I've researched here and elsewhere. Suspected problems I've eliminated are:
1. flooding due to leaking injectors: the plugs are dry when it doesn't start.
2. Main relay/fuel relay: measured voltage clicking in for 3 sec.s when turning on key.. Listened to pump and could hear it running, tho very quietly. Also resoldered Main Relay PCP.
3. ECT sensor.. heard it can mess up mixture, or prevent starting if it thinks the engine is hot.. it was replaced.
4. Scanned codes and it comes up clean.
5. Valves were adjusted (had the problem before this)
6. Timing set correctly.

Do the ignition modules/distributor innards fail like this? only when hot? Anyone have an idea?
thanks much to all
Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 98 CRV won't start when warm

Yes, a common failure as you are describing can actually be caused by the ignition control module or as Honda calls it the "igniter".

Since the problem is easily repeated check for spark next time.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you change the head gasket? Mine has a similar problem and it was the headgasket, i was causing coolant to leak into the cylinders...if it sat for a for a short period after driving it would start fine but if i let it sit for a few hours it wouldnt want to start as easily.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Igniters always fail when hot, problem here is they will always cause the engine to stall while driving and not only a non start issue.

My vote is main relay even though you resoldered it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Not necessarily true, I have had the rare case of no restarts from an igniter. It really depends on how badly it is getting heat soaked. Either way, taking a DMM and probing around would be the easiest way to verify what exactly is going on.

OP - Silly question, but it is in fact turning over when hot correct? It just won't run?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved!.. Thanks all for your help.. I did check for spark, had a good hot blue 1/4 or more spark during 'no-start'.

Yes i did replace the head gasket but it's ok.. I found that the timing was a notch off (distributor was at an extreme end to make it run.), reset the timing and after a couple tryies got it right. Also adjusted valve lash while in there- quieted it down a bunch.

So, latest diagnosis was that I pulled the return line off of the fuel pressure regulator and voila - no fuel. I rechecked the relay and had my 12v to the pump switching on and off as it's supposed to..

So I replaced the fuel pump... Now it starts fast every time.. It used to take a couple cranks to start when cold, now fires right away cold or hot.. yaaay!!! No-start condition is gone. Wow a car that starts when i want!!.. i love it more now!

Funny thing was, with old fuel pump, even when it was working (running) and when it wouldn't start, i could barely hear it hum, even with a 'listening tube' . Now the new pump can be clearly heard with all covers on and seat in, etc. (Bosch). The ECU had to readjust, was blowing lots of white smoke with increased fuel pressure.. drove a few miles and it cleared up - This morning it blew smoke again when cold but cleared up quickly again.

This fixed another problems too, not only the 'no start', but improved acceleration, no more 'cut-out' and misfiring as I sometimes had. Thought sure it was a sensor but DTI came up clean, no codes. Poor thing was really starving for fuel and a wonder it was running as well as it did.. The motor is sounding sweet now.. Just strange to me how it could climb hills, run for hours, then be dead after sitting idle for a few minutes. Really was on the edge. May have been original (250k on it)?
Again, thanks all.. Glad to find this good forum.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Here is a word of advice - next time tell us all the issues from the start so we can help diagnose better. Either way glad to hear you got it figured out.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Folks,
My issue is similar. 2000 crv starts fine, idles ten minutes, then dies. No hesitation, no running rough. When it stops, dash lights remain working, oil and battery light come on, but no check engine light. Restarting tries to crank, but won't catch. I have no spark at this time if I'm using the spark tester right. Wait ten mins and it strait well, idles well until it runs another ten mins. I've read posts saying ICM, entire distributor, main relay, coil, ECM, fuel pump, valve adjustment, and more. Any guidance much appreciated...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Perry Aliotti
Folks,
My issue is similar. 2000 crv starts fine, idles ten minutes, then dies. No hesitation, no running rough. When it stops, dash lights remain working, oil and battery light come on, but no check engine light. Restarting tries to crank, but won't catch. I have no spark at this time if I'm using the spark tester right. Wait ten mins and it strait well, idles well until it runs another ten mins. I've read posts saying ICM, entire distributor, main relay, coil, ECM, fuel pump, valve adjustment, and more. Any guidance much appreciated...
Edit.....not strait, but starts....I hate auto correct
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perry, could fit my symptoms too,, fuel pump freezing up after it gets hot. Easy to check spark, then the fuel by pulling return line off of pressure regulator, attach a small hose into a bottle or can, and crank engine or jumper the relay to see if fuel comes out. Can be fuses, main relay or the actual pump, which mine was. Test each, one at a time - Good luck!.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perry, I'm sure yours is ignitor
Old 07-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Trial User

Which hose from the pressure regulator? It is not listed on the schematic for the crv repair manual.