Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

'97 - '01 CRV Rear U-Joint Replacement WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:32 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default '97 - '01 CRV Rear U-Joint Replacement WARNING

Hello Folks!

Just a friendly PSA about some issues I have been having with ’97 – ’01 CRV U-Joints lately. I have been meaning to do this thread for about a year now, so please forgive my slowness.

I have had a few prop shafts in my CRV now due to U-Joints breaking. Some of the failures were due to abuse (both turbo and N/A), and one was just normal driving while crossing a set of multiple railroad tracks (slippage). I was using a driveshaft repair shop for the repairs because of my desire to have the prop shaft balanced due to “higher than normal” speeds being possible.

The shop was supposedly using Dorman parts, but if that’s true then they look just like the ones that can be had off eBay for $22.50 straight from China. Of course there are different U-Joints for different applications on other makes and models, but there isn’t much in the way of “upgrades” when it comes to the factory CRV propeller shaft.

During my search for some sort of an “upgrade”, I came across a set of U-Joints made by Rockford (Part # 430-9B) for $68 so I was intrigued. Now of course I figured there couldn’t be much of a difference being that options are limited, but boy was I surprised when I opened the box!

The pictures will speak for themselves. Pay attention to the radius of the cap shaft as well as the overall body design and size. Caps differences are worth noting as well. I can’t say that it’s the end all U-Joint, but it’s worth noting they are seemingly superior in design. The Rockfords are just massive in comparison! Plus, I haven’t been able to break them, well… yet… LOL! Enjoy and feel free to discuss!

It should be noted that the broken U-Joint only had about 1,000 miles when it snapped on some railroad tracks.
Attached Images       
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '97 - '01 CRV Rear U-Joint Replacement WARNING

Awesome info to have!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used Rockford replacement joints on my crv for about a year but the middle joint went out and trying to replace that bent the shaft so I had to go with a doorman replacement shaft. it works great except the joints didn't rotate smoothly on one end and I had to clean up and paint and reassemble as that one side was binding.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:07 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You mean the carrier bearing went out?

Yeah, I never had a Dorman driveshaft, just the replacement U-Joints.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I was curious on the installation and watched a youtube video. Doesn't seem all that difficult, just time consuming. I did hear the guy say that the U joints were never meant to be replaced from the honda factory, you'd have to buy the whole thing(if oem). But these U joint replacements seem to do the trick.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running the Dorman from Amazon. The support bushing was not properly positioned as I had to "stretch" the shaft rearward to get the bolts started. Im hoping it doesn't cause premature failure!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is another option that is supposed to be as close to stock as possible. http://theujointstore.com/9701-honda9701.html
No personal experience but I have heard great reviews from the sellers other products
Old 02-15-2017, 09:02 AM
The Credible Hulk

Originally Posted by Jonathan Doe
Im running the Dorman from Amazon. The support bushing was not properly positioned as I had to "stretch" the shaft rearward to get the bolts started. Im hoping it doesn't cause premature failure!
Hows the Dorman holding up to normal use?

If you're not boosted/abusing it and you get a good one that doesn't vibrate right from the jump are they decent units?