Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2001 Crv Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Crv Issues

SORRY FOR LONG STORY---> Hi, I recently purchased a 2001 Crv Ex, standard. Test drove fine no issues, no grinds. Owner said it hadn't been driven in a while, not sure how long a while is. I drove it home 45 minutes no issues. The next day when i started it, the rpms were idling high, between 2000-3000 kept going up and down, for about 3-5 minutes then would settle. The car was in a somewhat warm parking lot in a condo, so maybe now that its outside in the freezing cold its idling, because once its warm and i have it off for 20-30 minutes and start again it doesnt idle, friend of mine said its the tps? sensor, and to clean out the throttle body. That same night the engine light came on aswell as the maintenance required light in red. All that happened on Thursday was going to fix the problem on the weekend but didn't have time, and figured it wasn't too big of an issue. Yesterday (tuesday) is where the big problem came, I drove for about 45 minutes, turned off the car. Then 20 minutes later started it back up, as I took off I heard a ticking, knocking noise. My motor has oil in it and i haven't driven the car reckless, granny shifting. I went to fill gas, and went into the mechanic beside, he came and checked my car didn't say anything about motor blown, and told me timing belt. Not sure how accurate his prediction is, he checked it really quick. Told me not to drive but I chose to drive home anyways 25-30 minutes, the motor seemed fine but it was still knocking, ticking. So I don't think my motor is blown, I doubt I would make it home. Half way home another problem occurs, my steering goes stiff, and not a stiff like when you don't have power steering, a complete stiff where i really need to use power to steer, as well as my battery light came on. I have no idea what the issue can be, anyone have any input on my issues, please let me know. I most likely am going to a mechanic but would like to hear what anyone has to say. Thanks.

Last edited by Honda EK; 02-10-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2001 Crv Issues

Sounds like your last problems occurred when the PS, Alternator and AC belts broke/came off making it sounds like the crankshaft pulley may have fallen off.

What are your mechanical abilities? Its hard for me to tell you to go fix something if you have never opened an engine up before let alone a Honda engine.

You probably bought a car that a backyard mechanic tried to change the timing belt on and didn't torque the crank pulley bolt correctly.

Take it to a mechanic (Tow it to a mechanic) and have them check it out. Sounds to me like an improper timing belt job was done, could have the timing set wrong due to misaligned cams and crankshaft as well causing goofy idle and then the possible crank pulley falling off.

Its hard to diagnose symptoms through the internet so the best thing to do is have a competent Honda mechanic look at it.

I hope you got a hell of a deal on this car.