Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

1999 CR-V, engine stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 1999 CR-V, engine stalling.

Hello, I have been looking for suggestions online and this forum keeps popping up so I thought I would register and ask.

My CR-V (4 Wheel Drive, about 178,000 miles on it) has started giving me problems.

It started with two separate instances where the the engine took longer than usual to start up. Maybe double the time, (which might be a total of only 2 seconds.)

Then I noticed that the engine nearly died a few times in traffic, when I was going from a standstill and stepping on the gas.

The worst is that it has started failing to start up. Maybe this is because I have been testing it out more, and there is less time between turning it off and turning it back on again.

Today I tightened the throttle cable, replaced the rotor and cap, and spark plugs. I noticed that a previous owner had broken off a screw in the part of the engine that the cap screws into. Even though I replaced the cap, I was unable to remove the screw, so I used the method that the previous owner had used, which was to wrap it tightly with wire.

I poked around in the engine a little bit to get familiar with where different things are located. I believe I now know where the throttle 'manifold' is, the TPS sensor, and I have seen different tubes going into and out of the manifold, or throttle housing.

I do not have a chilton book on my Honda, but I am fairly mechanically inclined, so I think I could tackle a few minor things, as long as I knew where to target my energy.

Fuel pump? TPS?

Also, regarding that screw. In my attempt to get access to the screw, I took off the part of the engine that is between the head and the distributor cap. Perhaps I ruined my spark plug timing by doing that, however it ran alright just after replacing everything. It was only after I tried to start it up again, after about 10 minutes, that it took a few seconds to start. I will have to wait until I have a little more money before I can go buy an "easy out" or something like that.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 1999 CR-V, engine stalling.

I should also note that when I removed the Dist cap I saw some plastic inside the housing. That was cracked.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 1999 CR-V, engine stalling.

Alright, I went out to my car this morning to take a look under the hood, simply to get familiar with some things. I left the rear hatch window open until about 4:00. I figure that was on for at least 5 hours.

I drove to the store and the check engine light came on. The code is0006 Fuel Shutoff Valve "A" Control Circuit Low.