Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

*Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Originally Posted by Bango_Vang01
Hey guys, I just picked up a 01 CRV. Its been ages since I updated my resources on the 1st gen CRVs but can someone update me and tell me is it best to buy springs or have a custom spacer/coilover set up? Are OME springs still the best lift springs around? Whats the most common lift brand/kit everyone is using today for their RD1s/RD2s?

Thanks
I've run both coilovers and OME springs.. Personally I've always been more of a shock and spring kind of person as far as comfort and longevity of the shocks/struts. I kept having to buy struts with the coilovers and with the springs I've put the V through more hell and haven't had a problem yet. Never had the pucks so I can't really speak for that..
Old 01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had some unfortunate luck New Years Day. Was driving home from the in laws and ended up driving through some downed power lines. It was dark out and a Truck had lost control and went off the highway and knocked down a power pole. We were the first people to pass and drove through 2 of the lines. The middle cable got caught under the vehicle and looped over the hood. Ripped my passenger side fender apart and broke the headlight. Also damaged the a pillar and broke my windshield with the top cable. Sparks were flying and the transformer exploded. Everyone in the V was unhurt but I think the V will be a write off. Not sure if I'll get another or move up to an Element.

Berz out.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigBerz
Had some unfortunate luck New Years Day. Was driving home from the in laws and ended up driving through some downed power lines. It was dark out and a Truck had lost control and went off the highway and knocked down a power pole. We were the first people to pass and drove through 2 of the lines. The middle cable got caught under the vehicle and looped over the hood. Ripped my passenger side fender apart and broke the headlight. Also damaged the a pillar and broke my windshield with the top cable. Sparks were flying and the transformer exploded. Everyone in the V was unhurt but I think the V will be a write off. Not sure if I'll get another or move up to an Element.

Berz out.
sucks to hear bro... Glad you are all unharmed though. You can fly down here and buy mine if you want 😀😀
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha I don't think it would pass my Provincial inspection to be able to insure it. It might but they kind of ******** about it here.

Berz out.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Berz out.
Hey, glad you and everyone in the vehicle got out safe. Hope your new year gets better from here on.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Highny
Hey, glad you and everyone in the vehicle got out safe. Hope your new year gets better from here on.
Thanks I appreciate it. Got the news today, it's a total loss. I pick up my insurance money tomorrow. Time to start looking for an Element I think.

Berz out.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM
The Credible Hulk

Thanks I appreciate it. Got the news today, it's a total loss. I pick up my insurance money tomorrow. Time to start looking for an Element I think.

Berz out.

MAN that sucks. One of the best CR-V contributors on the forum and we lose you to an Element. I mean not even a Pilot LOL.

Glad everyone is okay though!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha I dunno man I'm still debating. Elements are hard to find and I might just find another cheap CR-V and fix it up with the extra money from insurance. They gave me the option to buy it back from them for $500 so I'm gonna do that and have it sitting here. May turn it into a full off road play toy now or fix it and give it to the wife. We will see. If I had my old shop I would AWD a civic but alas no real good area for tinkering at the moment.

I haven't looked into Pilot's to much, not sure how much they are worth.

Berz out.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone,

It's been an exciting day. I manage to get my wide wheels on along with some 15mm spacers. The CRV looks awesome but handles really bad. Wheels hops when accelerating in turns. Steering wheel been wobbling like crazy at hi-way speed. Some reason I got torque steer when accelerating from stop...

Does any of these happen to your CRV after lifting, installed wheel spacer, and wider rims?

I'm current setup:
-20mm front strut spacers
-30mm rear strut spacers.
-15mm hub centric wheel spacers
-15"X8" steel rims with 0 offset.
-215/75r15 street tires.

I'm planning to get some hubcentric rings for the spacers to the steel rims and hope to solve the wobble.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. I would say 1. make sure the wheels are balanced. 2. Make sure your spacers are centered and the wheels are centered as well. Where did you get the rims from? A bent rim would cause a bounce and shake as well.
I'm not sure why you would be having torque steer is everything clear and nothing is binding?

Berz out.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Wheel bearings take a massive beating running wide wheels+wide spacers.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. I would say 1. make sure the wheels are balanced. 2. Make sure your spacers are centered and the wheels are centered as well. Where did you get the rims from? A bent rim would cause a bounce and shake as well.
I'm not sure why you would be having torque steer is everything clear and nothing is binding?

Berz out.
I don't think it's a balance issue. I'll swap the back to front and see. Wheels balanced pretty good and I placed the heavier ones in the back.

The wheel spacers are hub centric to 64.1 and it fit really well, but I do need rings from the spacers to the rims. Having trouble finding 64.1 to 83.82... Any idea here I could find some?

I got the rims second hand. It looked straight when I was balancing them. I'll try to road force them next time. Good point man, I never would have thought of that.

I don't see anything binding. Every since I replace my spring(with oem) it started happening. I figure maybe being outside of stock height it would cause some pulls during acceleration. After installing these steelies, it was pretty bad. Do you think going from +50 offset to 0 offset would cause that? I know the car tends to toe out during acceleration. So with a more positive scrub radius would make it worse?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got some snow in east TN. Of course we had to go on an adventure! Top picture is bad quality because of all the snow and wind. But you get the idea

Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's a balance issue. I'll swap the back to front and see. Wheels balanced pretty good and I placed the heavier ones in the back.

The wheel spacers are hub centric to 64.1 and it fit really well, but I do need rings from the spacers to the rims. Having trouble finding 64.1 to 83.82... Any idea here I could find some?

I got the rims second hand. It looked straight when I was balancing them. I'll try to road force them next time. Good point man, I never would have thought of that.

I don't see anything binding. Every since I replace my spring(with oem) it started happening. I figure maybe being outside of stock height it would cause some pulls during acceleration. After installing these steelies, it was pretty bad. Do you think going from +50 offset to 0 offset would cause that? I know the car tends to toe out during acceleration. So with a more positive scrub radius would make it worse?

Any thoughts?
i always had the wobble on heavy acceleration and it got a lot worse with the lift and wheels (235/75R15) I figured it was the control arm bushings, they are not ment for such loads. I wonder if one side is flexing more than it should? I can only assume they/you checked the ball joints and tie rods etc. When you got the alignment done? And everything was in spec?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dansanders55
nice, it looks like it's in great shape. With 2" front and rear do you find the front considerably taller?
yes I do! I'm sorry I just noticed this post. But with 2" front and rear the front is WAY taller. I actually removed the front lift and installed new struts. Left the rear alone and I like the look it gives now a lot more. And I still have plenty of clearance. The tires rub pretty good on full lock turns. But that's it.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone,

The steering wheel wobble seem to settled down a bit. The torque steer was caused by slippery road and gravels on the surface. Still get a slight pull when accelerating but I think it's normal considering the +65 scrub radius.

I'm having trouble finding hub centric rings from 64.1mm to 83.8mm. If anyone know where I could buy some or possibly custom order some please let me know!!! Thanks...
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Took about a week just to read this forum and man is it full of info. It's totally said and done that I'm getting cragar 8's but everyone is running 6mm, 8mm, or more. My question is 6mm the absolute minimum? I read a question on one of the previous pages asking if 5mm spacers would work and I was wondering the same. Anyone with 6mm spacers on the cragars care to pitch in how close the calipers clear and what the backspacing on your setup is? Recently picked up a '97 auto as the "new" daily. Needed something auto as I deliver pizzas and got tired of downshifting every turn in the integra, lol. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's gonna be trail and error with the spacers. Mine didn't need much but I only had 1 or 2 mm clearance from rim to Caliper once the spacers were on.

Berz out.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had some 5mm universal slip on spacers from auto zone and they worked perfect. its the caliper mounting bracket that rubs on the inside face of the wheel. I put the small spacer on and it took care of the problem. you do not need a big spacer to make the wheels fit as long as you have the low offset wheels. mine are 15x7 with a 4 inch backspace.
Originally Posted by RoseTheTeg
Took about a week just to read this forum and man is it full of info. It's totally said and done that I'm getting cragar 8's but everyone is running 6mm, 8mm, or more. My question is 6mm the absolute minimum? I read a question on one of the previous pages asking if 5mm spacers would work and I was wondering the same. Anyone with 6mm spacers on the cragars care to pitch in how close the calipers clear and what the backspacing on your setup is? Recently picked up a '97 auto as the "new" daily. Needed something auto as I deliver pizzas and got tired of downshifting every turn in the integra, lol. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's official. I pick up my 04 Element on Thursday. No more CR-V tuning for this guy. Time to move on to a different platform. Now I gotta learn all over again after just getting a handle on the CR-V stuff.

Is there an Element thread? lol

Berz out.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's official. I pick up my 04 Element on Thursday. No more CR-V tuning for this guy. Time to move on to a different platform. Now I gotta learn all over again after just getting a handle on the CR-V stuff.

Is there an Element thread? lol

Berz out.
Hey why can't I post video it won't let me upload
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just post it to youtube then link it here.

Berz out.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone,

It's been an exciting day. I manage to get my wide wheels on along with some 15mm spacers. The CRV looks awesome but handles really bad. Wheels hops when accelerating in turns. Steering wheel been wobbling like crazy at hi-way speed. Some reason I got torque steer when accelerating from stop...

Does any of these happen to your CRV after lifting, installed wheel spacer, and wider rims?

I'm current setup:
-20mm front strut spacers
-30mm rear strut spacers.
-15mm hub centric wheel spacers
-15"X8" steel rims with 0 offset.
-215/75r15 street tires.

I'm planning to get some hubcentric rings for the spacers to the steel rims and hope to solve the wobble.

Let me know what you think!
looks good brother
Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do any of you guys/gals have a picture of a set of larger tires on stock suspension? Looking to see if I like the look or if I want to pony up the money for the lift kit.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone,

I went to my first novice TSD Rally with my crv yesterday. It was so much fun. Ended up getting lost and got hit with a penalty.

Getting back from the event got me thinking... Is there any way I can get more out of our 4wd system? Like have it running at all time?

If anyone know where I could get more info regarding this matter that would be awesome.

Also, I recall reading a post way back in this thread about lift ratio. In installed with the same spacer, the front tend to lift more than the rear. I think it was 140% front and 125% rear? If anyone remember the ratio please let me know.. Looking to get a bit more lift.

Custom made mud flaps and new 225/70R15 tires.

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*