Notices

z6 oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z6 oil leak problem

I have a pretty good oil leak from my motor,it drips, not pours, but it drips constantly. I have changed the oil pan gasket, and it still drips. My oil pan does have a dent in it, but I don't think there is a hole. But I could be wrong. Also, my dad thought maybe it could be the main seals for the crank, but his friend told him it had to have pressure to leak from them. Then the oil sending unit was brought up. Does anyone have any other ideas,or suggestions?
The oil is dripping off the end of my manifold where the actual exhaust piping would start. Much appreciated to any help.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: z6 oil leak problem

Check around the distributor area. My friend's distributor o-ring on his OBD-1 B16a was worn out (no longer sealing properly) and was causing oil to slowly leak.

It went on long enough that the leak proceeded from the bottom area of the distributor, down the side of the head, front wards alongside where the head meets the block, and dripped down the front area where the header is (picking up road-grime towards the bottom), ALL the way down to the oil pan.

He was NOT loosing significant amounts of oil between oil changes, but he would see oil spots every now and again on the ground where he was parked. However, it was starting to leak more frequently when I diagnosed the problem.

If this is your problem, take the old o-ring and go pick up an appropriately sized new o-ring for $0.15 at your local hardware store.

Post back with your findings.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no leaks around my distributor that I can see,so I think we're good on that.
While i'm on here I may as well ask,I have a tps code thrown on cel, and my idle is surgey, and i'm wondering if I would need a new tps or can I just clean it somehow.
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turry89si
I have a pretty good oil leak from my motor,it drips, not pours, but it drips constantly. I have changed the oil pan gasket, and it still drips. My oil pan does have a dent in it, but I don't think there is a hole. But I could be wrong. Also, my dad thought maybe it could be the main seals for the crank, but his friend told him it had to have pressure to leak from them. Then the oil sending unit was brought up. Does anyone have any other ideas,or suggestions?
The oil is dripping off the end of my manifold where the actual exhaust piping would start. Much appreciated to any help.

try that!

on my old crx (w b16) i had put an autometer electronic oil pressure guage in.. soon after i would get a spot of oil on the ground and some times it would smoke under the hood (oil was driping on exhaust right where you had explained) i too changed the pan and gasket with brand new honda parts and still had a leak.

found out it was leaking from the sending unit I replaced with the autometer one! put some thread tape on it and it was fine

gl
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WigginsSiR
try that!

on my old crx (w b16) i had put an autometer electronic oil pressure guage in.. soon after i would get a spot of oil on the ground and some times it would smoke under the hood (oil was driping on exhaust right where you had explained) i too changed the pan and gasket with brand new honda parts and still had a leak.

found out it was leaking from the sending unit I replaced with the autometer one! put some thread tape on it and it was fine

gl

I will try that then haha, I did buy a new sending unit but haven't put it in yet, cause I really didnt understand how it would leak without the car running since its up higher, and the oil is nowhere near it when cooled down.