Notices

What would cause your car to bog like this?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause your car to bog like this?

Alright...I just fixed the hatch..some how the ignition rotor got bent....replaced that and then it ran...had to redo the timing alittle...without taking it all the way apart, just sat the crank pulley tdc...the mark on the plastic cover..you align that with the little mark by it self right? Whats the three marks for btw?

Anyways...before I got the hatch running, I accidentally pulled all the wires out of the dizzy connector...had to pretty much guess to get that right. I got it running the way it is now...drove it to Charlotte yesterday and did pretty fine. Doesn't throw any CE codes.

Anyways..if I let off the throttle going down the road and barely give it throttle it bogs and sputters until I get alittle high rpms.

Then sitting still if I give it immediate gas it bogs.

What should I check and/or replace?

I can still drive it...drives pretty good. Just need to fix this.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Re: What would cause your car to bog like this?

wow...I forgot H-T moved so fast lol
Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 AM

check your ignition timing sounds like you could be a little retarded... (the car) :-)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM

alright....will do. next thing

Setting the timing..the easy way....without taking the plastic cover off to reposition the crank pulley...I can slide my timing belt off from the cam gear, and turn either the crank pulley or the cam....the timing belt is not that loose but I'm able to get it back on with a **** load of pressure. I was asking..doing it that way would I set the 16 degree mark to the nick on the plastic cover

I'm trying to advoid taking the cover off by all means....I'm able to take the belt off of the cam gear by prying it lose on both sides until it slides off, then I am able to turn the cam either way with a big set of pliers. I am able to turn the crank pulley with the wrench, by doing that...would I set the 16 degree mark with the nick on the cover.

hopefully one of those explains it a little better.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM

ttttt
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No no no no no no no no all wrong. First of all that is the wrong way to do the timing.
Second of all you should never be lazy on that one belt. Want to know what happens when that belt fails? Or you did the timing wrong. You whole engine goes bye bye.

Take offdriver side motor mount bolt should let engine sit down enought to get the crank pulley off. Now take the wheel off. Get a 19mm socket and impact the bolt off. Lossen the alternator belt remove crank pulley with key. NOw remove timing belt cover. After that loosen the tensioner. Now put your crank and cams at TDC. After that slide the belt on the crank, water pump, tensioner and cams. NOw double check it all aligned? Oh now in the side of the tensioner standing in fron the of car look at the tensioner. You will see a little arm. Stick a screw driver under it and pry it up and tighten the tensioner bolt. Now put it all back together in reverse.

Once thats all done start the car and get a timing light. Now hook up the + and - to your battery and the signal pick up on your number one spark plug wire. (is the one closes to the timing belt). Now jump your jumper is 88-89 its yellow and on the left shock tower under your hood. If 90-91 its in the car under the glove box and its blue. Once you jump that the CEL should come on. Ok good now your in diagnoses mode. Set your timing light at 0* if it has an adjuster. NOw aim it at you crank pulley. The single line is 0* the other 3 are 14* 16* 18*. Now 16* is in the middle of the 3 lines and thats what you want to line up with the mark on the timing cover plastic. You need to losen the dizzy bolts so you can move the dizzy while aiming the light at the crank. Once you lined those up your at 16*. Now tighte it all back up, remove your jumper and your done with both timing, and ignition timing.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're setting the mechanical timing, now you need to do the ignition timing