Notices

what maintenance do you need to do for the clutch & transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what maintenance do you need to do for the clutch & transmission?

the only thing i am aware of is to change transmission fluid and to adjust the clutch freeplay with the clutch adjust ****, but is there anything else you are supposed to do as far as maintenance or adjustments ? for the clutch or transmission ? that i don't know about ?

my original crx si transmission has 247,000 miles on it, and have had my exedy clutch since 2003, about 11 years, and both work ok, except just having a 3rd gear grind if reving it up higher, but i just skip 3rd gear and go from 2nd to 4th instead.

i can't believe the exedy clutch has worked good so long?, and its still good, but sometimes recently it seems like it was hard getting it out of gear when i was at a stoplight, after it turned green and ready to go.

i was reading that if your clutch is going out, you would have symptoms of it slipping and stuff like that, or spongey pedal, which i don't have, and said if its hard putting into gear could be something else, such as input shaft ? or other stuff ?,

just wondering if theres other stuff i don't know about to do and maintain clutch or trans. ?

like do you lube any parts like the shift linkage underneath the shifter ? or parts that have to do with changing gears ? so moves smoother?, or does a clutch cable start getting bad around 247,000 miles ? and not work good ? and need to be replaced ?

and also, is there anything else to adjust for the clutch ? or trans ?

i'm going to get some GM synchromesh transmission fluid with the friction modifiers, which i heard all good things about reading through all the different posts, and hopefully that will help with my 3rd gear grind and make it smoother shifting also.

just trying to keep mine working good as long as i can,

thanks for any info you can give
Old 04-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what maintenance do you need to do for the clutch & transmission?

1. Adjust clutch pedal for free play
2. Open transaxle and inspect/replace synchros...especially with synchromesh going in
3. With transaxle open check the differential clearance/ bearings
4. Of course you should always check the gears and shift sleeves
5. Don't forget to clean off the magnet

That's probably not everything but it's everything I can think of off the top of my head after just waking up. Good luck
Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, as far as the stuff you listed from 2 - 5, those are'nt stuff i'm familiar with and have never messed with any of that before ?, are those hard to do ? or not ? i need to read about it more so i understand all that stuff, especially if its good for maintaining my transmission etc . . .
Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember my first time doing those and I was very skeptical about them also... BUT it's not as bad as you're probably thinking it is. There is a nice write up on HT about b series transaxle and I'm sure it's not too far off with yours. You probably could find a thread just for yours if you look hard enough. If you don't feel comfortable doing it skip that step and go to the next and read up as much as you can then go back and attempt it. Take lots of pictures for reassembly guide.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for that 3rd opinion, they are right on point pretty much. Well, the cheapest method is to use gm syncrhomesh fm and see if the 3rd gear grind goes away using 3rd gwar frequently in a 100 miles. Didn't work for me but some say it did for them. If you are gonna replace your 3rd gear synchro you might as well replace the synchro sleeve with it and the 4th synchro as hondas are known for the 3rd/4th gear grinds. I replaced my 3rd and 4th synchros with the sleeve even though the gears looked a little used and i have no more grinds at all. I decided to use carbon synchros with the hardened sleeve fron synchrotech. Theres really no reason to use gm synchronesh fm if you have fresh synchros installed. Unless your other gears are having symptoms. Stay with Honda MTF if you deciee to rebuild the tranny, even if you only replace 1 portion of it. You could also look at your shift linkage bushings but if your shifter doesnt shake or have more than an inch of move around while in gear, you mr bushings are fine.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i might of not understood exactly, but i saw you use the word "reassembly", which now makes me think this is something i don't really need to mess with, cause i did'nt know it had to do with rebuilding the transmission or anything like that ?, cause if it is, then i have no need to do all that?, i was just seeing if theres any maintenance type stuff i can do that did'nt involve taking anything apart or that type of thing?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the miles you have on the car, we are only recommending the necessities. If you are ok with how it is right now. Be aware you'll eventually be looking for another car. Maybe not anytime soon
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, thanks for explaining all of that, yeah i'm not planning on replacing synchros or anythiing just yet, and first will put GM synchromesh, and also avoid using 3rd as much as possible to try saving it from any further damage, and i just want to see how long i can keep it running without having to get a new transmission or have it rebuilt, but its going to happen sometime eventually of course
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also gamble buying a used transmission from someone or one from the pick n pull. Not a recommendation. If you take your tranny out, get a clutch kit with it
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend Pennzoil synchromesh if you doing that.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your transaxle is off the block you should really consider my recommendation! It's either now while it's out or later and waste more time