Notices

Building a high compression boosted b16

Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a high compression boosted b16

so I have a 91 crx si that has a b16 swap into it, and some work done to building into the engine.

my real concerns are blowing this engine but it is my goal to make it no longer a street car but infact a race car. I've seen the 500 hp stock block b16 builds but i really want to play it safe and see if i could find some help with what i all need to put into it.

any input really helps in my situation I'm just browsing my options i wanted to go with a precision 57 trim turbo but keep my compression high for that extra vetch power, i understand this creates alot of problems with the explosion within the cylinder and that it needs to be tuned perfectly for this.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a high compression boosted b16

Originally Posted by Pikeswa
so I have a 91 crx si that has a b16 swap into it, and some work done to building into the engine.

my real concerns are blowing this engine but it is my goal to make it no longer a street car but infact a race car. I've seen the 500 hp stock block b16 builds but i really want to play it safe and see if i could find some help with what i all need to put into it.

any input really helps in my situation I'm just browsing my options i wanted to go with a precision 57 trim turbo but keep my compression high for that extra vetch power, i understand this creates alot of problems with the explosion within the cylinder and that it needs to be tuned perfectly for this.
I am guessing you are new by the way you spelt "vtec." Personally i've never seen a 500hp stock b16 block. Most I generally see is 300-350. With a GREAT tune. But even that is pushing it and bound to fail. Anyway, I suggest you start somewhere a little easier. But if you really don't want to here's what you would need to make 500 horses, and I'm sure I could add more:
I would suggest piecing together a 62/62 precision turbo, instead of a 57.
Get whatever blow off valve and waste gate you want. Hks, tial, it all just depends on what you want.
You will have to make your own down pipe
Half size rad
Intercooler
Valve springs/retainers
Buy a ITR intake cam and GSR exhaust cam or just get adjustables
255l fuel pump
Bigger injectors
eagle rods
arias pistons
Hondata s300
If your B16 is OBD0 then convert to OBD1 to run Hondata
exhaust cut to proper length
and the most important part is TUNING.

I can keep going, but I am sure someone will continue where I left off.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it was just a miss type, this is my fourth honda second one with a swap
i already have adjustable cams forged pistons aem fuel rail 550 injectors and thats all i know untill i pull it apart to rebuild it

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...a/viewall.html this is a link of a stock block 500 hp b16
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be a fool to not get the CSS process done to your block as cheap as it is. I would go with a GT35R with a 500hp goal. A 6262 is way laggy on a B16.

My build isnt high powered by any means but when you throw a turbo on a high compression engine it does up the fun factor.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i've been told to do a low compression build, but i don't want to lose the power from vtech and im trying to avoid massive amounts of torque steer so i don't know what my goal for power is i was planning on atleast doing a sleeve kit on my cylinders i just don't have any idea if there is anything else i can do to make it even more reliable
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude first off it's VTEC. not vtech. secondly, low compression allows for more error. high comp, not so much. but it is perfectly boostable. IMO high comp would be better for out of boost power so you're not gutless till the turbo spools. you will not loose ANY power to VTEC because you will be cramming in a lot more air and fuel than stock by the time you hit boost regardless of your compression.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My phone has auto correct, like many other words it does not recognize vtec and changes it, with low compression you do lose power to vtec regardless of what you do the power won't be the same, boosting on low compression allows the turbo to pull more air into the cylinder before i fires creating more power, i am not here for your negativity i am just looking for more ways to reinforce my engine. If you didn't lose vtec power from low compression then everything we knew about physics would be incorrect, you can run a naturally aspirated b16 to 250 hp with a high compression build since vtec requires more compression for more power. also with a higher compression build i can red line at a high rpm and get even more power then low compression but this does require a better turbo.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pikeswa
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...a/viewall.html this is a link of a stock block 500 hp b16
I am not trying to be a dick, but if you read it all, the block isn't stock. It's near stock. If you search the forum or even ask, on a completely stock block generally it's around 300-350(some a little more it all depends on the healthiness of the engine and how good a tune) And that stock block wont last very long.