Notices

Transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission noise

First off I have a 89 Civic DX with a 92 b18a1 (OBD 0 converted) swap and a 90 ls 5 speed tranny. Innovative Mounts and linkage, ls axles.

Well I did the swap about 2 months ago and it went pretty well apart from some minor things. Had a bit of a clicking noise from the left front, suspected the axle, though the boots were not torn. I was originally running gator axles which came with my swap. I did have an issue with one of the diff side seals leaking and I replaced it. I feel like it might have been the wrong seal though.

So my trans seem to be noisy since the swap, and it eventually started getting worse. I didn't really have time to check the fluid level after I changed the seal...so it might have been low. Shifting was still smooth though. Anyway, I was on the highway and all of a sudden my transmission sounds like its making popcorn. I was like "****!", limped my way home. The next day limped my way to my parents house to work on the car. Found the tranny had a 2 holes in it, one by the shift shaft and one inside the bell housing (after I pulled it). So I'm guessing the diff blew up.

So I have this integra ('90) sitting around that I am getting rid of, so I stole the transmission out of it. Put it in. Once again I am getting noise!

Back when I was driving the integra it had an input shaft bearing noise so I dropped the tranny and replaced it. I also did the clutch and throwout bearing. So basically the throwout bearing and the input shaft bearing are no more than 18 months old. I don't remember it being noisy before.

The noise is like a dull scraping. It is most prominent at idle, unless I push in the clutch. Now a few people have said its the throwout bearing if you just push the clutch in a little and the noise goes away. However, the noise only goes away if I push it all the way in. It is also noisy when coasting (or engine braking). Today I double checked the fluid (drained it, it was clean, level was good). I refilled it (I use 10w30 as recommended, is this ok?). I also swapped my ls axles in for the gator ones. This actually got rid of the clicking noise, but the transmission noise is still there.

Now as much as I would just love to spend ANOTHER day dropping the tranny, does anyone have anything I can check before I start? That would be grand. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Transmission noise

If there is a noise at idle while the car is sitting it is the throw-out bearing. I have had them still make noise even after the clutch is fully depressed. Are you sure you don't have your clutch cable set too tight?

You could put a little pressure on the arm and feel if there is a vibration coming from the throw out bearing.

I ONLY use Honda trans fluid. It is a notch above everything else - everytime I see someone who has grinds - typically I find out they were too cheap to buy the good stuff (about $7.50 a quart around me).
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blew the diff for sure. Had the same popcorn noise on a built b16 EF and ran a EK by the time I slowed down it was clinking the whole way home went on CL got another. People don't maintain there trannys like they do the motors and that's where the problem is. Kids just get swaps n go. Not saying this is u but just maintain the next one.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rudyndrew
Blew the diff for sure. Had the same popcorn noise on a built b16 EF and ran a EK by the time I slowed down it was clinking the whole way home went on CL got another. People don't maintain there trannys like they do the motors and that's where the problem is. Kids just get swaps n go. Not saying this is u but just maintain the next one.
Yeah I'm sure the diff went on the first one but I'm not really sure what to do with this one. I took N3va3vaSatisfi3d's advice and tried loosening the clutch cable. It was fairly snug, I went in increments and tested for noise each time and it was still there.

Also I should note that I put pressure on the arm and didn't feel any vibration. Just doesn't feel like the throwout bearing to me. It felt pretty good before I put the tranny in and like I said before it was only about 18 months old, much less than the life of a clutch.

I'm thinking it must be an internal bearing, but if anyone has any experience with this please help because I'm getting sick of dropping trannies. I really want to get this sorted so I can move onto the next part of my build, camber kits and an alignment.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I should also note that if I am coasting along and I put my foot on the clutch the tranny makes a winding noise like everything is still spinning inside. Almost like when you reverse quickly (but not quite as loud).
Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Long shot - did you replace the pilot bearing too?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ///Mathew
I should also note that if I am coasting along and I put my foot on the clutch the tranny makes a winding noise like everything is still spinning inside. Almost like when you reverse quickly (but not quite as loud).
Bearings r done too
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use a clutch alignment tool or eyeball it? Be honest.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Long shot - did you replace the pilot bearing too?
I'm 99% sure I did, because my clutch kit came with one.

Originally Posted by ThatRicerDaniel
Did you use a clutch alignment tool or eyeball it? Be honest.
Yep, I would never eyeball a clutch. My kit came with the tool anyway.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So when r u gonna take it down n see what really happened?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rudyndrew
So when r u gonna take it down n see what really happened?
Probably next week. I have three days off in a row so if I need a part or a new tranny it won't be a huge problem.

I think I'm going to take apart the tranny that blew up before hand and steal the input shaft bearing. Plus I'll use it as practice so I don't mess up the other one when I take it apart.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Trial User

i have a zc swap in my civic with a si trans and mine does the exact same thing so i replaced the throw out bearing and clutch and pressure plate thinking it was a throw out bearing and made the same noise after i put it back together