Notices

Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad?

Hey,
I've got a D15B and I just blew my head gasket using Nitrous. I posted a thread about my coolant reservoir overflowing and boiling and low and behold it was a blown head gasket like I kinda thought it was. It blew around the #2 cylinder.

I haven't had time to fix it, so the car has been sitting for nearly 2 weeks. The reason is one day I went to start the car to go to work and It couldn't turn over. I suspected that since the head gasket blew that coolant had leaked into my cylinder and the starter motor couldn't move the crank because the coolant was holding it back in the cylinder. I pulled the spark plugs and checked each cylinder and the # 2 cylinder was full of Coolant!!!
Since it has been sitting for so long, I drained the oil just a minute ago to start pulling the head and about 2 quarts of coolant drained out of the pan before any oil came out!

My question is: will this cause a lot of problems like with my rods rusting, bearings going bad. I didn't run the car with all of this coolant in the oil. I raced it at the track two times and noticed the coolant boiling and overflowing in the reservoir. So I stopped racing it and just drove it to and from work until I noticed it was puffin white smoke.. the next day is when it wouldn't start cuz of the coolant in the #2 cylinder. It sat for almost 2 weeks and that's why so much coolant is in the bottom end... so since that coolant has been down there, will that hurt any thing since it hasn't ran?
I'm going to continue pulling the head and I'll let you all know what I find. But let me know your thoughts on the bottom end, and my cylinder, and rings.
Thanks in advance.
Later, Davey
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad? (Ahknodd)

if it was just seating there with coolant it wont do nothing. Change the headgasket and dump the first oil change after it ran like for 20mins. You did a big mistake by driving it after you knew it blew a HG. Overheating will do more damage than coolant in the oil.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad? (jackinthetrunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jackinthetrunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it was just seating there with coolant it wont do nothing. Change the headgasket and dump the first oil change after it ran like for 20mins. You did a big mistake by driving it after you knew it blew a HG. Overheating will do more damage than coolant in the oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad? (Ahknodd)

thanks guys...
Now, can I use a Y8 metal head gasket on my D15B? Thanks
Lates, Davey
Old 09-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ahknodd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, can I use a Y8 metal head gasket on my D15B?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes
Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tons of Coolant Drained out of Oil Pan!!! Is this really bad? (Bense)

Thanks man.
Lates, Davey
Old 09-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont be cheap and use a used headgasket. It might be already be bad and not last that long, go OEM.

Modified by jackinthetrunk at 7:50 AM 9/5/2006
Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP you are a moron.