Notices

Timing different than factory setting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing different than factory setting?

Hi everyone I am pretty new to hondas, I just picked this one up about a month ago, its a '90 DX 1.5L 16valve. I just got done replacing a head gasket on it and seeing as I forgot to mark the belt line up on the cam, I decided to just go ahead and reset it at #1TDC setting on cam, crankshaft, and piston position. Anyways I know how to do this fairly well as I have done it a bit on my old 4runner. Not too hard to figure out. Anyways I know I got it set up PERFECT but it just will not start. It will crank, it almost starts on the first attempt but not go. The timing sounds slow like its not firing fast enough to get it goin.

Anyways what I wanted to ask you guys is this. Is it possible that the position of the cam is incorrect? I noticed 2 marks in white paint from whoever replaced the cam gear previously, there is a mark on the vertical line to the left of the word "up" on the gear, and there is a vertical line marking on the valve cover which seems to run in line with the timing cover marks for setting the crankshaft pulley at TDC.

Would it seem reasonable to assume that I need to set the cam with the word "up" facing toward the driver seat and the crankshaft at TDC mark? Also with this crankshaft pulley, the TDC mark is the single notch before the 3 notches that are grouped together correct?

Would it make more sense to set the Cam with "up" facing up, then set the crank pulley at the first notch in the series of 3 notches? Please inform me as to the setting of this as I like my new little car a lot and would love to drive it and fix it up good. Thank you guys for all your help
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing different than factory setting?

you are on the right track. "up" goes up, and you should have another mark on the cam gear 90 degrees to the left and another mark 90 degrees to the right. they should be parallel with the deck of the head...NOT HORIZONTAL.
as for the crank, the mark by itself is TDC#1.
after you get the timing belt on, use a ratchet and turn the crank 360 degrees and see if your marks are still good.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
New User

Originally Posted by freydaddy
you are on the right track. "up" goes up, and you should have another mark on the cam gear 90 degrees to the left and another mark 90 degrees to the right. they should be parallel with the deck of the head...NOT HORIZONTAL.
as for the crank, the mark by itself is TDC#1.
after you get the timing belt on, use a ratchet and turn the crank 360 degrees and see if your marks are still good.
Ok, thats what I had figured, because the "up" corresponds with the rotor being at #1 wire.

This is the only question I really have now, with the cam gear in that position will I have the crank pulley timing mark set in line with the timing cover mark using what is identified as "white mark" or "red mark"? I think that is the only issue I am having, I was using "white mark" but I am changing it tomorrow. Gotta go to work now thanks for your help
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hankhall
Ok, thats what I had figured, because the "up" corresponds with the rotor being at #1 wire.

This is the only question I really have now, with the cam gear in that position will I have the crank pulley timing mark set in line with the timing cover mark using what is identified as "white mark" or "red mark"? I think that is the only issue I am having, I was using "white mark" but I am changing it tomorrow. Gotta go to work now thanks for your help
the white mark is the TDC mark - the other 3 are used for setting ignition timing with timing light
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
New User

Oh ok. So, I got it started today and it runs decent like it did before, the idle is a little high but that usually goes down after it warms up for a while. Now I just have one more question... it still has white smoke coming from the exhaust. I know I torqued the head down to the proper specs, I went over it three times with my torque wrench to make sure. I guess the head or block could be warped? But it is worse than before I fixed it.

Oh, its also smoking from under the hood, which I'm assuming is oil smoke. I spilled oil on everything pulling the head . I also spilled oil in cylinder 2&3, I wiped it out as much as I could. Considering this smoke is thicker is it possible to be just oil smoke? Will it just burn off if I run it for a while?

Could the new headgasket be burning? I didn't put any sealing silicone on it, because the guys at the shop said it was a dry install one, maybe its just getting seated????? I sure hope so.. It drives ok though
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could be burning off water that's in your exhaust. Let it run for a while and keep an eye on your coolant levels. If they drop there could be an issue with the install, or the head may be warped (unless it's leaking out else where). Also a thought, you crazy Americans with your freezing cold weather should expect a bit of condensation and white smoke from your exhausts, even at operating temperatures.

The smoke from the engine bay is probably just oil.

Best of luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its always good to get it at driving temp. after a new head gasket install.
helps it seat. do that before you head down the road. do it a couple of times letting it cool in between.