Notices

temp needle jumps to HOT????

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp needle jumps to HOT????

hey everyone, just need some feedback on my problem.

never happened befor and now its doing it, soon as i start my car the temp needle jumps right to HOT??? anyone know why? is the temp sensor bad? could it just go bad? please someone help me on this problem.

when i unplug the temp sensor the needle goes down. well we all know that should happen but i was just giving more info.

please help thanks in advanced
Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ANYONE????? HELP PLEASE THANKS.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (superhatchbackbros)

could be an air pocket in the system,
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (f-it3)

Stupid question but have you changed the thermostat?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya everything is brand new, im going to try and bleed the system a lil more get all the bubbles out etc, and if still problem ill try the sensor. but if anyone else has any ideas let me know thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Hit the floor!

Sounds like the sensor to me.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok soo i bleed the system and even took the rad cap off, to get any air bubbles out, nothing, for some reason my car doesnt have pressure, like the hoses dont get hard. is that bad? no mater what i did the gauge hasnt went down stay on HOT all the way up, i guess im going to try the temp sensor next, its my only thing left. anyone have any ideas im not trying? or tricks please let me know thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also i just started car and i took the temp sensor connection off and i dont get no codes (6) what could be the problem? should i deff switch out the sensor?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to clarify, when you turn the motor on (when cold) does the gauge go to hot instantly, or do you mean that by the time it warms up it keeps going up to read Hot/overheat?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superhatchbackbros &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok soo i bleed the system and even took the rad cap off, to get any air bubbles out, nothing, for some reason my car doesnt have pressure, like the hoses dont get hard. is that bad? </TD></TR></TABLE>

well the hoses should pressurize and get very hot, the lower hose is the one you need to check. when the themostat opens coolant starts to flow through the lower hose. so when its not hot the thermostat is to blame, or possibly a blockage in the radiator.
What kind of themostat did you put in it? is it from Honda or autozone? honda's themostats are built a bit beefier than others.

If you still cant get the lower hose to heat up then you should replace the thermostat (with a honda one) and test the old one. Boil some water and suspend the themostat so its not touching the pot, it should start opening at 172 degrees F, and fully open at 194 degrees F, and it should lift/open 8mm.

another thing, if it turns out that you arent overheating and its a sensor/wiring issue, if I were you I would also check the wire for the temp sensor. it seems like a short could cause this.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, to clarify what u said YES soon as i turn my ignition switch the sensor READS HOT that fast, what could be the problem then? i also am going to try things u said. anyone else got anymore info?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also the hoses do get hot both of them, just seems no pressure? idk i crack open the bleed valve and nothing comes out no bubbles no coolant??? do i gotta squeeeze the hoses and get the bubles out?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superhatchbackbros &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also the hoses do get hot both of them, just seems no pressure? idk i crack open the bleed valve and nothing comes out no bubbles no coolant??? do i gotta squeeeze the hoses and get the bubles out?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats weird, there may be 2 different problems, but <U>first </U>work on fixing the gauge. if it turns out you arent overheating then dont worry about the other stuff. you might try a new rad cap they are what hold the pressure, although even with the cap off when opening the bleeder valve coolant should just come out on its own. maybe the valve is just clogged up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superhatchbackbros &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man, to clarify what u said YES soon as i turn my ignition switch the sensor READS HOT that fast, what could be the problem then? i also am going to try things u said. anyone else got anymore info?</TD></TR></TABLE>

then its either the wiring for the temp sensor or the sensor itself. although i dont know that the sensor would do this when it goes bad. I would focus on the wiring and even the cluster, check the curcuit board thing on the back of the cluster, **** maybe the gauge itself has just crapped out. but a short somewhere in that wiring is my guess.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok man thanks for ur help. ill try something. and let everyone know.. if anyone has anymore info to give me feel free.