Notices

tach, horn, and gauge cluster power on lights don't work - what is common to all?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach, horn, and gauge cluster power on lights don't work - what is common to all?

I have posted is the tech section a while ago but no success:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1021985

I had a short in the gauge cluster harness that would blow the hazard fuse. It has been fixed. But now the horn doesn't work and when I first turn the key the cluster doesn't light up (the various lights like cel etc.) except for battery. The tach doesn't work.
No codes and car runs.

Any ideas on what might be blown?

BTW car is a 90 crx w/b16. I think the main relay is on its way out because the fuel pump didn't prime a few times. I also think the integrated control unit is damaged because the intermittent wipers don't work. Also the ignition switch doesn't seem to give power to the starter - so it is wired to a momentary switch.

Ideas?

Update:
I checked out the main relay as per the trouble shooting guide in the service manual and it is fine.

I also checked the harness where it plugs into the main relay - all is well except the test when I have the ignition in the start position. So that explains why it won't crank from the ignition switch. I checked the two wire harness from the ignition switch for breaks and continuity and they are fine. The under-dash harness is fine as far as I can tell. All the fuses are fine. I will try hat starter relay that someone pointed out is next to the main relay.

I also swapped out the ICU. I now have intermittent wipers - yay - nothing else works that the icu controls (light on warning, brake warning etc.) nor do any of the original problems reported in the first post. Of course the icus that I used were from the junk yard so they might not work properly but it really doesn't look as though it has anything to do with my problems anyway.

There has to be something that is burned, shorted of unplugged that connects the horn, tach, and cluster stuff. Any suggestions? Maybe the fuse box itself is damaged?

I have never cross posted but I just have no idea what to try next. I thought that since we all have the same car in here it might help - pardon me please.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tach, horn, and gauge cluster power on lights don't work - what is common to all? (devnull)

wires are grounding out somewhere...check all conections to each of the problem areas
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: tach, horn, and gauge cluster power on lights don't work - what is common to all? (wHiTe91hAtChB

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wHiTe91hAtChBaCk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wires are grounding out somewhere...check all conections to each of the problem areas</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good idea. I will also check some of the plugs under the dash again, maybe I will unplug all the unnecessary **** and see what happens.

I just remembered that around the time it stopped working I found some plugs that I forgot to plug in. I plugged them in but maybe they didn't go where I have them connecting.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe a fuse :/
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (devnull)

check turn signal fuse
Old 11-01-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (nyhustla2k)

Maybe I just don't know but are there other locations for fuses other than the under dash box and the main box on the passenger side in the engine bay?

All of the fuses are fine. (that I can find in the main and underdash boxes)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nyhustla2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check turn signal fuse</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for every ones help though. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:58 AM

btw I noticed the turn signals don't work either. The hazards work though.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:33 PM

Just tested the ignition switch and it is fine.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:44 PM

check and make sure there are no spliced or grounded out wires on any of you turn signal circuits as well...
Old 11-22-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (sxecustoms)

TTT, im having the same fukin problem after I took off a msd box because it wouldnt run right with it. any more Ideas you guys can throw?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TIRENECK)

I just swapped a 1st gen b16 in to my 88 crx si, and at first everything was good, but after a few start ups, the tach doesnt work, the cluster lights dont work, the check engine light doesnt come on (and im throwing 3 codes) and the turn signals dont come on. Im looking for help on all this as well.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The DX Rex
check turn signal fuse
10 fuse by your left knee... bottom row to the left
I popped two 10 fuses today in that slot but that brings my tach and dash lights back.

The popped fuses must be bad ground.