Notices

Suspension noise: CV Joints or Balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension noise: CV Joints or Balljoints?

I have had clicking CV joints for about a year now, but I had the boots replaced so they aren't getting any worse (Dad's idea). Anyways, they still make the standard "clicking/growling" noise, but recently, there is a new one. Whenever I turn the steering wheel (even a small amount at a variety of speeds). This sound is a squeaky/rubber rubbing together sound. Unlike the old CV joint sound, it occurs not just when I am accelerating out of a turn. I suspect the ball joints, but could it be the CV boots that got caught on something? Or some other bushing? TIA
Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspension noise: CV Joints or Balljoints? (CivicWagonRUS)

Do the wagons have power steering? If so, I'd suspect the belt. If not, uhhh.... No good idea.

Does it only happen when the car is moving, or can you get it to make the noise by turning the steering wheel while the car is stopped?

--DD
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Suspension noise: CV Joints or Balljoints? (Dave_Darling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave_Darling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do the wagons have power steering? If so, I'd suspect the belt. If not, uhhh.... No good idea.

Does it only happen when the car is moving, or can you get it to make the noise by turning the steering wheel while the car is stopped?

--DD</TD></TR></TABLE>

The noise happens whenever the steerign wheel is turned. The car is an auto, so yes, it does have PS.

Also, my brother and I jacked the car up just now, and have determined that the Driver side upper and passenger side lower balljoints are loose and need replacing. The boots on the CV joints are holding up fine (they're pretty new, so no surprises there).
Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Suspension noise: CV Joints or Balljoints? (CivicWagonRUS)

Ok, I'm replacing the axles and both lower ball joints, as well as the driver's side upper balljoint/ arm. I hope that will make the sound go away, but atleast I'll know the wheel won't pop off. Ok, so a couple of questions: Hayne's manual says to replace the "damper fork to lower arm through bolt" with a new one. Is this necessary, and if so, are they availible from Advance Auto Parts or NAPA? Also, is it ok to use the cheap ball joints as opposed to the more expensive ones? I'm not looking for race car handling or anything, just something that'll hold up for atleast 2-3 years.